Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399 Discussion and Development

Search This thread

awd_fan

Dec 24, 2013
Welcome!
Time to give the SGH-T399 some of the attention it deserves.
Feel free to ask questions, offer solutions, and help get some dev love going!

Links to Root, Recovery, etc in second post.

All credit for linked or mirrored work goes to the respective devs, please donate to them!

Shabbypenguin got us root
Smartguy044 gave us CWM Recovery
Great thanks to both!

Last edited:

WillieWonka1985

Jun 29, 2012
seattle
Thanks AF
I flashed the cwm before I got root, is this why I was having issues with my phones functionality? It stopped acting out when I flashed the penguin .exe
Or are these xposed links to apps that fix that erratic behavior from our SGL?

And do I need install these xposed if my phone seems to be working better than ever?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
What trouble are you having, mine randomly "freezes" and I have not been able to figure out why

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

WillieWonka1985

Jun 29, 2012
seattle
odin flashed gardaltetmo_cwm.tar.md5 then my phone was acting funny, slow and apps would seen to just forget they were running. I was so tired I flashed cwm before I had root. I thought at the time that it was the cwm causing the issue.
So I got on my pc and read more off the thread and eventually came across an app that looked allot like odin. Shabbypenguin or something. After flashing root my phone was even more responsive than the day I bought it.

Still don't know what those Xposed links are for...

awd_fan

Dec 24, 2013
The Xposed links are so you can install the Xposed Framework and any modules for it. The RootCloak module lets you hide root from apps. Isis, for example. I haven't found any other fully functional/useful modules yet. Wanam Xposed and Advanced Power Menu looked promising, but don't work perfectly with Touchwiz roms.

As far as freezing/random app crashes, I have not had any issues. I'm using the "Stock" kernel that shabbypenguin first posted, I think his One Click exe may use a different one. Still have the stock recovery, waiting for an Online Nandroid Backup patch before changing to CWM. I also use ES Task manager's Kill All widget after every reboot and clear cache data frequently.

Reactions: WillieWonka1985

WillieWonka1985

Jun 29, 2012
seattle
I wish I had the experience. Probably would've kept stock recovery myself. But I was impatient. Without nandroid i really shouldnt be messing w cwm.

awd_fan

Dec 24, 2013
I wish I had the experience. Probably would've kept stock recovery myself. But I was impatient. Without nandroid i really shouldnt be messing w cwm.

You can adb push the stock recovery to /mmcblk0p10
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2605407&d=1393583876, extract , get the recovery.img file inside the extracted folder
Do a full backup from CWM recovery first, just in case. Or you could reflash CMW with Odin, in case or failure. I really need to make an Odin flashable zip of the stock recovery.

Classpro

Jul 25, 2009
Does anyone know if the battery for the galaxy light is the same as any other samsung batteries? I wouldn't mind having an inexpensive spare battery.

awd_fan

Dec 24, 2013
Shabby did have one, but I dont know if its still available

This one. Says MJA not MJ4. Maybe just a typo. CORRECTION: Pulled my Stock recovery, compared md5, same recovery in this tar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d279hame7gfgbp3/Stock-T399-MJA-Recovery.tar
Does anyone know if the battery for the galaxy light is the same as any other samsung batteries? I wouldn't mind having an inexpensive spare battery.

Standard GS3 batteries fit, "extended capacity" GS3 batteries are too thick

Last edited:

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
I'm psyched to finally get my Light. It's getting closer, but I think I will try to reflash the stock kernel. I will need to hide root, tho, so I can use Isis...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

You will need to verify that the battery is the same size and capacities. As far as I know, most of the phones use unique batteries.

GJSmith3rd

May 6, 2008
Chicago
OnePlus 8
Xposed has a module that can successfully hide root for ISIS and OTA update. When my device was working I verified. I'm currently trying to learn how to build Cyanogenmod 11 for the SGH-T399 since I'm soft bricked / boot looped until an update from T-Mobile surfaces for Kit Kat.

WillieWonka1985

Jun 29, 2012
seattle
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2605407&d=1393583876, extract , get the recovery.img file inside the extracted folder
Do a full backup from CWM recovery first, just in case. Or you could reflash CMW with Odin, in case or failure. I really need to make an Odin flashable zip of the stock recovery.

How do I adb push? I've never used/done it. Is there a universal way to push things? What do I need for? I know adb push is important so I may as well know what it's benefits are. And thanks in advance for my recovery back to stock.

wolfmitchell

Mar 11, 2013
How do I adb push? I've never used/done it. Is there a universal way to push things? What do I need for? I know adb push is important so I may as well know what it's benefits are. And thanks in advance for my recovery back to stock.

adb push lets you send files to your phone from your computer

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

WillieWonka1985

Jun 29, 2012
seattle

It's there an op for adp push? I wanna think that there is a pc program I would need to instruct this.

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
It's there an op for adp push? I wanna think that there is a pc program I would need to instruct this.

I learned from watching YouTube vids. It's pretty straightforward. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

What's the status of getting a twrp recovery for the 399? I will use cwm if I have to, but would rather not. Thanks!

Reactions: WillieWonka1985

Top Liked Posts