Shattered Screen Experience

Search This thread

bigragu

Jun 22, 2009
Baltimore
When I read that HTC was offering to replace cracked screens on a one-time basis I thought that was pretty cool. But then I read it was only if the screen was cracked within the first 6 months and I thought what were the odds of that happening. Seemed like it was more likely to happen in months 6-24. Well, I got my M8 in April and the other day I dropped it. I was sitting down and reached into my pocket when it rang and it fell out. It was only a short distance and I've had it happen many times before without incident, but for some reason the screen completely shattered. I even had a protector on it to no avail.

Well, I contacted HTC via messenger and had a great experience. It did take awhile as the operator went over the various options, but ultimately I chose the completely free option which will take 8-10 days which I can afford because I am just using my old phone. Just sent it off yesterday so I'll let you know how it goes, but so far, it seems they have lived up to their promise.

Last edited:

Wickedd

Jul 20, 2008
That's awesome ! I was wondering how they would handle this and if there weren't any conditions they could deny your phone.
Well i'm not going to try it on purpose ..

bigragu

Jun 22, 2009
Baltimore
They just asked for the serial # and then they were able to get all of the other information they needed from that, although they did ask when I bought the phone. I'm not sure why they would ask that considering it had to be less than 6 months that I've had it.

They sent me a pre-paid label and I dropped it off at UPS.

Reactions: Chris_c81

murf43143

Oct 29, 2007
So you didn't root this or anything I hope right?

I just got off the chat with HTC and they said if I root this phone it voids all warranty even screen repair.

So now I have been scrambling to go back to stock everything from S-OFF so I can send this in for repair using the same free option.

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
So you didn't root this or anything I hope right?

I just got off the chat with HTC and they said if I root this phone it voids all warranty even screen repair.

So now I have been scrambling to go back to stock everything from S-OFF so I can send this in for repair using the same free option.

Unfortunately, they will still be able to tell. My screen shattered and I had an unlocked bootloader with S-off. Went back to stock, re-locked, changed re-locked to locked and removed tampered banner, and sent it in (from what I read turning S-on will trip re-locked and tampered so I didn't do).

Got a quote from them yesterday that they'd only replace my screen for free if I paid $290 for them to replace my motherboard since my bootloader was unlocked (they will look to see if you requested an unlock token from HTC Dev as well as looking on the device itself). After spending an hour on the phone with them yesterday they say they will do it for $145 but a supervisor is supposed to call me back so we can discuss more. They still haven't explained to me why the motherboard needs to be replaced besides "we have to since the bootloader was unlocked."

My approach when dealing with them is that there are two separate warranties for the phone - the screen replacement warranty and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the phone. The screen warranty doesn't mention unlocked bootloader voiding it, only that "unauthorized modifications.." will. Whereas the 1 year warranty mentions "unauthorized modifications..." as well as "the bootloader has been unlocked.." voiding the warranty.

I'll let you guys know where I get with them.

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately, they will still be able to tell. My screen shattered and I had an unlocked bootloader with S-off. Went back to stock, re-locked, changed re-locked to locked and removed tampered banner, and sent it in (from what I read turning S-on will trip re-locked and tampered so I didn't do).

Got a quote from them yesterday that they'd only replace my screen for free if I paid $290 for them to replace my motherboard since my bootloader was unlocked (they will look to see if you requested an unlock token from HTC Dev as well as looking on the device itself). After spending an hour on the phone with them yesterday they say they will do it for $145 but a supervisor is supposed to call me back so we can discuss more. They still haven't explained to me why the motherboard needs to be replaced besides "we have to since the bootloader was unlocked."

My approach when dealing with them is that there are two separate warranties for the phone - the screen replacement warranty and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the phone. The screen warranty doesn't mention unlocked bootloader voiding it, only that "unauthorized modifications.." will. Whereas the 1 year warranty mentions "unauthorized modifications..." as well as "the bootloader has been unlocked.." voiding the warranty.

But requesting a unlock token from htcdev doesn't necessarily mean that the device is unlocked. This HTC policy is crap.
I got my screen replaced under warranty from HTC for my One X, and they gave me a non gorilla glass, which i realized in a week as it got plenty of scratches easily. But didn't bother to explain the dumb customer care, just sold the device...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CHlCKEN

Oct 17, 2013
When I read that HTC was offering to replace cracked screens on a one-time basis I thought that was pretty cool. But then I read it was only if the screen was cracked within the first 6 months and I thought what were the odds of that happening. Seemed like it was more likely to happen in months 6-24. Well, I got my M8 in April and the other day I dropped it. I was sitting down and reached into my pocket when it rang and it fell out. It was only a short distance and I've had it happen many times before without incident, but for some reason the screen completely shattered. I even had a protector on it to no avail.

Well, I contacted HTC via messenger and had a great experience. It did take awhile as the operator went over the various options, but ultimately I chose the completely free option which will take 8-10 days which I can afford because I am just using my old phone. Just sent it off yesterday so I'll let you know how it goes, but so far, it seems they have lived up to their promise.
Wow well be careful next time

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I smashed the screen on my one and damaged the case and speaker grills. All repaired by HTC for £103 ($175) in just over 2 weeks. Couldn't believe how cheap it was considering the parts themselves cost more than the actual cost of repair.
So a all in all thumbs up for HTC for not charging an extortionate price for repair. I sent mine in unlocked everything, but no complaints from HTC because I wasn't claiming under warranty.

Reactions: Chris_c81

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
I was watching xmen yesterday and when it ended I got up and somehow my phone slipped out of my shorts pocket and landed screen down. It made such a loud noise I was so scared to pick it up. Luckily, when I did not a scratch on the screen. I think what might've saved me was I had a clear skin on the two grills (nothing on screen) which might've propped it up a bit by making a lip. There was a small scuff on the metal rim on the left side of the phone. I took a nail filer and smoothed it out. When you shine light on it you can see some scratches from filing. However, when you run your finger down it, it doesn't catch like it did when the scuff was there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto
I was watching xmen yesterday and when it ended I got up and somehow my phone slipped out of my shorts pocket and landed screen down. It made such a loud noise I was so scared to pick it up. Luckily, when I did not a scratch on the screen. I think what might've saved me was I had a clear skin on the two grills (nothing on screen) which might've propped it up a bit by making a lip. There was a small scuff on the metal rim on the left side of the phone. I took a nail filer and smoothed it out. When you shine light on it you can see some scratches from filing. However, when you run your finger down it, it doesn't catch like it did when the scuff was there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

So how was the movie :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

flayzeraynx

they charged me $290 because i rooted and unlocked my bootloader on AT&T variant.. they said it is no under warranty anymore
it wasn't converted to GPE, just rooted..

before i sent to them i re-locked bootloader and installed stock version as well. .still they charged me $290 :(

Black Antitoon

May 3, 2008
Zurich (Switzerland)
I can't believe how horrible this is. It's really not what one would expect by a company such as HTC, especially as they are trying to build a loyal user base and get out of trouble.

As far as I read until now, this doesn't seem to happen in Europe, but this policy proves that they are only behaving well in Europe because of the laws, not because of caring for being fair. :mad:

is350

Apr 30, 2012
they charged me $290 because i rooted and unlocked my bootloader on AT&T variant.. they said it is no under warranty anymore
it wasn't converted to GPE, just rooted..

before i sent to them i re-locked bootloader and installed stock version as well. .still they charged me $290 :(

Wow really? I thought warranty was still valid. In any case, how would a shattered screen be related to software mods? I have an AT&T variant as well with S-Off and unlocked bootloader. Not looking good then.

flayzeraynx

Wow really? I thought warranty was still valid. In any case, how would a shattered screen be related to software mods? I have an AT&T variant as well with S-Off and unlocked bootloader. Not looking good then.

nope, i did 4 times conversation with htc representative and they told me, when you download bootloader unlock file from htc's website, there is a disclaimer says this will void your warranty.. you have to accept that to download the unlock file.. that is why they charged $290 for the replacement on cracked screen even if i revert back to stock and re-lock it

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
nope, i did 4 times conversation with htc representative and they told me, when you download bootloader unlock file from htc's website, there is a disclaimer says this will void your warranty.. you have to accept that to download the unlock file.. that is why they charged $290 for the replacement on cracked screen even if i revert back to stock and re-lock it

So after talking to them Friday, they said someone from the repair team would call me in 3-5 days. Today (Monday) I got a message that they would in fact replace my screen free of charge. He apologized and said because the bootloader was unlocked it automatically generated the $290 quote to fix it but since the software on my phone was stock and supported by HTC they would fix it under warranty. They should be shipping my phone back to me tomorrow or the next day.

From what I've seen there is a lot of confusion on the issue of free screen replacement and unlocked bootloader. So for those of you in a similar situation I would recommend converting back to stock completely (bootloader and rom) before sending to HTC and when they send you a quote for $290, call and complain and ask to speak to a manager when they say there's nothing they can do. Only the Limited Warranty (which is separate from the Screen Warranty) stipulates unlocking the bootloader void's the warranty and you're filing a claim under the Screen Warranty. If you keep complaining they'll eventually do it for free.

Hope this saves more than a few people the $290 they keep trying to charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So after talking to them Friday, they said someone from the repair team would call me in 3-5 days. Today (Monday) I got a message that they would in fact replace my screen free of charge. He apologized and said because the bootloader was unlocked it automatically generated the $290 quote to fix it but since the software on my phone was stock and supported by HTC they would fix it under warranty. They should be shipping my phone back to me tomorrow or the next day.

From what I've seen there is a lot of confusion on the issue of free screen replacement and unlocked bootloader. So for those of you in a similar situation I would recommend converting back to stock completely (bootloader and rom) before sending to HTC and when they send you a quote for $290, call and complain and ask to speak to a manager when they say there's nothing they can do. Only the Limited Warranty (which is separate from the Screen Warranty) stipulates unlocking the bootloader void's the warranty and you're filing a claim under the Screen Warranty. If you keep complaining they'll eventually do it for free.

Hope this saves more than a few people the $290 they keep trying to charge.
    My baby is back, it almost looked like a brand new phone, they replaced the whole housing and screen, I had letters missing in the back everything was replaced, and my phone was still rooted running the custom rom. success i'm a happy camper now! the wait was worth it!

unnamed.jpg
    Quick update, so this is what HTC said regarding my phone, i selected the last option and now i gotta wait for them to contact me... "Outside of Manufacture Warranty"
    9b69751d7dee2a8869cb1236d76f7f0a.png
    Oh, really. What country do you live in that they don't offer it?

Every other country except USA? :p