Home button doesn't wake the Screen some times

Search This thread

z89x23

Dec 28, 2012
Limassol
hi guys..

Got my new phone at the launching day.. everything runs perfect..

But yesterday and today i encounter a small issue..

please note that i have fingerprint scanner lock on my phone..

when i pressed the home button just to wake the screen, the screen didn't respond.. only the side buttons lid..

the screen remained black after the second press too.. then i pressed the power button once and the screen woke..

the thing was that when i pressed the power button after this incident the home screen game me a third option, apart from emergency calls (left) and alternative password (right), Unlock via Google placed to the middle..

this happened also today twice..

Any suggestions on this ?? did anyone encounter this ??

please note that i didn't use any other locking method except fingerprint scanner and the home button responds fine in any other case.. Thanx..

Reactions: York_21

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I randomly get unresponsive touches when trying to open an app in the app drawer folders. Haven't had the home button issue though

-Sent from Tapatalk

BigAl1044

Apr 15, 2014
I'm having the exact same problem. Very disappointing for a new device. Not sure if I'm going to return it yet. I've tried factory reset and it didn't fix it.

Guy in the shop said he'll have to send it back to Samsung for testing.

I've gone back to using my old phone !!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
I'm having the exact same problem. Very disappointing for a new device. Not sure if I'm going to return it yet. I've tried factory reset and it didn't fix it.

Guy in the shop said he'll have to send it back to Samsung for testing.

I've gone back to using my old phone !!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

S-Voice is causing the problem on the home button lag, go trun off the open with home key in the svoice settings....

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
im having similar issues while on a call, i cant type in the extension, i touch the number pad and it does nothing. I turn off screen and now it doesnt want to turn back on. Like anything new, there will be a few hiccups, but samsung are usually fast for that first firmware push. I remember for the S4, i got it on launch day and the same day a new firmware was available, the note 3 took about 10 days before that initial firmware that fixed the few most obvious issues. Dont bring it back, just be patient.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
im having similar issues while on a call, i cant type in the extension, i touch the number pad and it does nothing. I turn off screen and now it doesnt want to turn back on. Like anything new, there will be a few hiccups, but samsung are usually fast for that first firmware push. I remember for the S4, i got it on launch day and the same day a new firmware was available, the note 3 took about 10 days before that initial firmware that fixed the few most obvious issues. Dont bring it back, just be patient.

I've randomly noticed I can't click on an app to open it if it is in a folder I created in the app drawer

-Sent from Tapatalk

z89x23

Dec 28, 2012
Limassol
S-Voice is causing the problem on the home button lag, go trun off the open with home key in the svoice settings....

Did that now and will test it through all day .. so far so good.. :)

will let you know you guys..

hopefully it will get fixed.. if not we wait for an firmware update..

UPDATE
I used my phone all day using the settings above.. (no s-voice at home button and fingerprint lock) I encounter the problem 3-4 times.. other than that all is ok..

Now im going to use all day the pin to lock the screen and see what happens..

thanx

UPDATE
still the same issue with pin lock screen.. So probably an update will solve this..

thanx

Last edited:

rciochin

May 21, 2012
Did that now and will test it through all day .. so far so good.. :)

will let you know you guys..

hopefully it will get fixed.. if not we wait for an firmware update..

UPDATE
I used my phone all day using the settings above.. (no s-voice at home button and fingerprint lock) I encounter the problem 3-4 times.. other than that all is ok..

Now im going to use all day the pin to lock the screen and see what happens..

thanx

UPDATE
still the same issue with pin lock screen.. So probably an update will solve this..

thanx

Hey man,
Had the same issue with my S5, I think the wait for the fix is easier to handle if you know there are other guys having the same issue rather than having something wrong with your specific device. So imho it'd be great if some other guys would reply just to know it's a common issue.
To me SGS5 is a great phone even with all the rants and reviews against buying it, there will be updates, we just need to be patient.

Thanks for the post!

Levus

Mar 19, 2010
Budapest
Hey man,
Had the same issue with my S5, I think the wait for the fix is easier to handle if you know there are other guys having the same issue rather than having something wrong with your specific device. So imho it'd be great if some other guys would reply just to know it's a common issue.
To me SGS5 is a great phone even with all the rants and reviews against buying it, there will be updates, we just need to be patient.

Thanks for the post!

I can confirm that i have similar issues too.
Sometimes (2-3 a day) the screen is not waking up from sleep state when i press the home or the power button.
The solution is that i need to press the power button to sleep the device and then press again or press the home button to wake up.
Not a big deal but i hope that this issue is not hardware related and a firmware fix will solve it.

Apart from this, it's really a great smartphone.

Reactions: rciochin

rciochin

May 21, 2012
Hi,

Just a small update, the issue replicates also when using the Samsung S View case, just bought one and I still get the same behaviour as with the home and power button (i.e. only the softkeys light up, the screen doesn't wake up).
I haven't been able to consistently replicate though, but it seems to happen after long sleep periods.

All the best!

Levus

Mar 19, 2010
Budapest
Hi,

Just a small update, the issue replicates also when using the Samsung S View case, just bought one and I still get the same behaviour as with the home and power button (i.e. only the softkeys light up, the screen doesn't wake up).
I haven't been able to consistently replicate though, but it seems to happen after long sleep periods.

All the best!

Hi !

One question.
Which ROM version do you have ?
The ...ANCE, or ANCF ?

z89x23

Dec 28, 2012
Limassol
thank you all for your replies.. its good to know that its not my device..

Hopefully with the new update they will fix it..

by the way yesterday i missed a call, do to that problem.. the phone was ringing but the screen was sleeping..

So i decided to chance my ROM, from EUR-Greece to NEE-Norther Countries.. Also did a hard factory reset after that.. Volume up + Power + Home.. Also deleted the cache partition.. :)

I used odin.. No problems found.. and Kies recognizes the phone..

So i will check how this goes and get back to you.. ;)

z89x23

Dec 28, 2012
Limassol
Hi !

One question.
Which ROM version do you have ?
The ...ANCE, or ANCF ?

Was using my original one which got an OTA update as soon i got it open..

SM-G900F EUR G900FXXU1ANCE Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1182732

Now as i posted above, i m using

SM-G900F NEE G900FXXU1ANCE Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1182732

I saw an ANCF

SM-G900F TTR G900FXXU1ANCF Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1186806

but i dont know the TTR which region is so i decided not to apply..

Levus

Mar 19, 2010
Budapest
Was using my original one which got an OTA update as soon i got it open..

SM-G900F EUR G900FXXU1ANCE Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1182732

Now as i posted above, i m using

SM-G900F NEE G900FXXU1ANCE Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1182732

I saw an ANCF

SM-G900F TTR G900FXXU1ANCF Android 4.4.2 31.03.2014 1186806

but i dont know the TTR which region is so i decided not to apply..

I have the XEH G900FXXU1ANCE...

I was just thinking that the G900FXXU1ANCF is maybe a little bit newer, as the build number is higher (1186806) So that's a different rom for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi guys..

Got my new phone at the launching day.. everything runs perfect..

But yesterday and today i encounter a small issue..

please note that i have fingerprint scanner lock on my phone..

when i pressed the home button just to wake the screen, the screen didn't respond.. only the side buttons lid..

the screen remained black after the second press too.. then i pressed the power button once and the screen woke..

the thing was that when i pressed the power button after this incident the home screen game me a third option, apart from emergency calls (left) and alternative password (right), Unlock via Google placed to the middle..

this happened also today twice..

Any suggestions on this ?? did anyone encounter this ??

please note that i didn't use any other locking method except fingerprint scanner and the home button responds fine in any other case.. Thanx..
    Hey man,

Thanks for the post!

I can confirm that i have similar issues too.
    Sometimes (2-3 a day) the screen is not waking up from sleep state when i press the home or the power button.
    The solution is that i need to press the power button to sleep the device and then press again or press the home button to wake up.
    Not a big deal but i hope that this issue is not hardware related and a firmware fix will solve it.

Apart from this, it's really a great smartphone.
    I just had an update to ANG2. So far, no black screen on wake issue is present in my few hours of use since the update. Let's hope they've licked this problem.

It's a great update in general as well - the fingerprint scanner is improved and has better notification animations and the whole phone feels a lot snappier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

same here.. i installed it yesterday..

Model: SM-G900F
    Model name: GALAXY S5
    Version: Android 4.4.2
    Changelist: 2089850
    Build date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
    Product Code: BTU
    PDA: G900FXXU1ANG2
    CSC: G900FOXA1ANG3
    MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2
    Switch off auto brightness

I did that.. It did reduce the frequency of the bug a lot but its still there..

now i don't want to smash my phone on a wall every 10 minutes.. LOL

will wait for the big android update 4.4.4 or L (5).. if it doesn't resolve i will change my device..