[APP][1.6+/2+/4+] Notes for Exchange

Search This thread

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
On android phone I miss synchronization of Tasks and Notes with MS Exchange. For Tasks synchronization, there are some (mostly paid) applications. But nothing for notes (without sending notes to third-party server). So I created one...

Notes For Exchange​

Notes For Exchange is application to synchronize notes between Android and MS Exchange. This application will NOT store your Notes to some third-party server. It uses standard exchange synchronization of Appointments.
How it works?

“Notes for Exchange” has two parts:

* Outlook Add-in (NotesForExchange_x.zip), that will synchronized your notes with calendar appointments. It creates items at end of February 2036, so it will not collide with your standard events. Using standard Exchange synchronization, these are synchronized with your android phone.​

* Android application (ExchangeNotes_x.apk), that displays these special “Appointment” as Notes. Also allows you to edit and delete them.​

Android application can be used without Outlook add-in with any other calendar (e.g. gmail). In that case, it’s just simple notes application that stores notes into your calendar.

During testing and usage of this application, no data were lost. But backup of Notes and Appointment is strongly recommended.

This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty. In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

UPDATED 2012-06-11
Published on android market (v 1.7)
Notes for Exchange site
Android Market

Current version 1.7

version 0.5 (and above) is not compatible with 0.3 (and bellow)
When upgrading to 0.5(or above) from 0.3 (and bellow)
- synchronize all notes before upgrade. All notes created/updated on device and not synchronized to outlook will be lost!!!
- update both part - outlook addin and android application

change-log:
APK - current version 1.7
Outlook Add-in - current version 0.7
v 1.7
- <html> notes
- new icon
v 1.6
- fixed crash on ICS
- fixed creating new notes on device
- fixed shortening very long notes
v 1.4
- fixed start on samsung galaxy nexus
- support for android 1.6
- minor layout fixes
v 1.3
- saved position of notes list and expanded folds
- localization - swedish (thanks to iorx)
v 1.2
- fixed lost of actual category after search
- localization - de(thanks to hermann17), cz
v 1.1
- fixed forced close in folded view
v 1.0
- folded by category
- few bugfixes
v 0.9
- fixed bug with forced close
v 0.8
- fixed uncategorized filter
- simple settings of colors and text sizes
v 0.7
- uncategorized in filter
- search in notes
v 0.6
- support for categories
v 0.5
- synchronization process rewrited
- moved to end of February 2036
v 0.3
- APK - layout for large screens
- Outlook - logs into users temp dir
- Outlook - fixed date format (causing duplicity)
- Outlook - ignoring non standard notes
v 0.2
- Outlook - fixed synchronization after hibernation

Attachments

• NotesForExchange_0.7.zip
    274.1 KB · Views: 4,033
  • ExchangeNotes_1.4.apk
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,590
Last edited:

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Thanks for all, who tested and reports issues/sugestions
Any feedback welcome...

Troubleshooting
There are no notes visible in android application
1, In MS outlook, look into calendar at 29.2.2036.
-> If there are some appointments, outlook addin is working fine
-> If not, outlook is not installed correctly. Check log file located at
Code:
Vista,W7: c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log  
 XP: c:\Documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log
- if log file is missing, add-in is not installed at all. Try manual installation (see below)

2, On android device, check calendar at 29.2.2036
-> if there's no appointments, there is problem with calendar synchronization (probably unrelated to this application)
-> if there are appointments, check in android app, if coreect calendar is selected in settings.

Manual installation of outlook addin
- unpack outlookAddin.zip to any directory in your PC
- rename ExchangeNotes.dl_ to ExchangeNotes.dll
- in this directory, run command
Code:
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.<ver. number>\RegAsm.exe  ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:ExchangeNotes.tlb /codebase
- if there is following error: "Could not load file or assembly Extensibility", add this dll into same directory and run again.
- import addin.reg to you registry
- (re)start ms outlook

Manual installation on Win 7 64bit system with Outlook 2010 - thanks to saratv

Manual installation on Win8.1 (64 bit) , ms outlook standard 2010 (32 bit) - thanks to p.smurf

Attachments

• outlookAddin.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,713
Last edited:
Brilliant way to think outside the box; will set this up next week when back in the office. Have missed the ability to sync Outlook Notes since I migrated to exchange 18 months ago upon joining a firm. I came from the Palm platform where such synchronization was routine, and I have never had the desire to have a separate system (such as Evernote) which would require a parallel system.

Of course, there's the problem of all those appointments I had already made for February of 2048..... ;-)

1of16

Jan 20, 2009
ok man, you're are my frackin hero!
finally i can read my notes on my desire!

will it be possible to mark and display the categories too?

its not very good, that the logfile is in the root-folder of C.
cause of administrative restrictions it would be better in the own user folder or something...

Last edited:

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
New version (0.3) with changed log dir and some minor changes in parsing appointments (causes duplicity on some outlook version).

It looks like, that on some devices, events after 2038 are not synchronized. Don't know if it's one device bug, or standard behaviour.

Reactions: 1of16

osaba

Nov 27, 2007
Good idea!!!

I try to install witn windows 7, it´s say "install success" but i can no get the aplication. where or how can install?

Thankss

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Good idea!!!

I try to install witn windows 7, it´s say "install success" but i can no get the aplication. where or how can install?

Thankss
Hi, there's two downloads on first post. One is zipped installer of outlook addin. It contains no application, just synchronizes notes, when outlook is running.
Second download is apk file - that's application for android device, that shows these notes.

D

Deleted member 5132789

I cannot enable the Exchange notes addin - I get error that it cannot find the file. Using win7x64, with outlook 2k10.

edit:
I get this under load behavior:
Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Due to several issues on some types of android devices / outlooks versions, I have to completely rewrite synchronization process.

It cause incompatibility with previews versions. Sorry for that.

- synchronize all notes before upgrade. All notes created/updated on device and not synchronized to outlook will be lost!!!

Hopefully it will be now fully working.

If there will be no major issue, I will publish v0.5 on android market.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigchrizzieboy

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
I cannot enable the Exchange notes addin - I get error that it cannot find the file. Using win7x64, with outlook 2k10.

edit:
I get this under load behavior:
Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

Hi, that strange. Installation goes well?

Could you please try v0.5, if it's better?

If not, please check following
- Check if these files exists
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn\ExchangeNotes.dll
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn\ExchangeNotes.tlb

- Do you have .NET 3.5 installed?

- Send me log file (if exists)
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log

thanks

thasan

Sep 5, 2006
Sync constantly

Just wondering, does the Outlook+plug-in have to be running all the time for continuous synchronization?

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
No, there's no need for that. App on android device stores notes to your calendar, that is synchronized t exchange. When you start outlook, it just downloads changes made in android device and synchronized them to outlook. There's no need to do it continuously.

There is only one danger. If you edit same note on device and e.g. exchange web, there will be conflict in synchronization, when you start outlook. (He will ask how to resolve...)
If you work with notes only on android device and outlook, launch outlook only when needed.

Reactions: thasan

iorx

Jun 15, 2010
Hi! I've been looking for this!!! Thank you so much.

I'll do almost anything to see this application evolve. I've got like >600 notes and they synk perfectly with your app.

The future? Searchable (android search)? Categories(from Outlook)? Sort order?

Any thing I can do to help? (not a developer, but I can test stuff..., translate to swedish)

/

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Hi! I've been looking for this!!! Thank you so much.

I'll do almost anything to see this application evolve. I've got like >600 notes and they synk perfectly with your app.

The future? Searchable (android search)? Categories(from Outlook)? Sort order?

Any thing I can do to help? (not a developer, but I can test stuff..., translate to swedish)

/

Categories - in progress
Searchable - will add to todo
Sort order - I will add filtering by category. Don't know by other field than subject could be filtered. Maybe date of last modification?

translation - I want to add some features (i.e. more texts) to application before publishing list of texts for translation to other languages.

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
There is ;) My Outlook runs 24/7, so a "sync-timer" (like every 6 h) would be good.

Synchronization is made
- just after outlook starts
- when note is created/updated/deleted
- when appointment at 29.2.2036 is created/updated/deleted
- every one hour - this could be configurable and by default 4(?) hours. It's just for sure - previous two triggers should sync everything.

Synchronization is made on background (so there's outlook freeze), and takes few seconds (less than 1 sec on about 30 items)

Last edited:

thasan

Sep 5, 2006
Very well done

The only thing I am still missing is ability to control fonts on my Android but I am sure that will be coming.

Great work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On android phone I miss synchronization of Tasks and Notes with MS Exchange. For Tasks synchronization, there are some (mostly paid) applications. But nothing for notes (without sending notes to third-party server). So I created one...

Notes For Exchange​

Notes For Exchange is application to synchronize notes between Android and MS Exchange. This application will NOT store your Notes to some third-party server. It uses standard exchange synchronization of Appointments.
    How it works?

“Notes for Exchange” has two parts:

* Outlook Add-in (NotesForExchange_x.zip), that will synchronized your notes with calendar appointments. It creates items at end of February 2036, so it will not collide with your standard events. Using standard Exchange synchronization, these are synchronized with your android phone.​

* Android application (ExchangeNotes_x.apk), that displays these special “Appointment” as Notes. Also allows you to edit and delete them.​

Android application can be used without Outlook add-in with any other calendar (e.g. gmail). In that case, it’s just simple notes application that stores notes into your calendar.

During testing and usage of this application, no data were lost. But backup of Notes and Appointment is strongly recommended.

This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty. In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

UPDATED 2012-06-11
    Published on android market (v 1.7)
    Notes for Exchange site
    Android Market

Current version 1.7

version 0.5 (and above) is not compatible with 0.3 (and bellow)

change-log:
    APK - current version 1.7
    Outlook Add-in - current version 0.7
    v 1.7
    - <html> notes
    - new icon
    v 1.6
    - fixed crash on ICS
    - fixed creating new notes on device
    - fixed shortening very long notes
    v 1.4
    - fixed start on samsung galaxy nexus
    - support for android 1.6
    - minor layout fixes
    v 1.3
    - saved position of notes list and expanded folds
    - localization - swedish (thanks to iorx)
    v 1.2
    - fixed lost of actual category after search
    - localization - de(thanks to hermann17), cz
    v 1.1
    - fixed forced close in folded view
    v 1.0
    - folded by category
    - few bugfixes
    v 0.9
    - fixed bug with forced close
    v 0.8
    - fixed uncategorized filter
    - simple settings of colors and text sizes
    v 0.7
    - uncategorized in filter
    - search in notes
    v 0.6
    - support for categories
    v 0.5
    - synchronization process rewrited
    - moved to end of February 2036
    v 0.3
    - APK - layout for large screens
    - Outlook - logs into users temp dir
    - Outlook - fixed date format (causing duplicity)
    - Outlook - ignoring non standard notes
    v 0.2
    - Outlook - fixed synchronization after hibernation
    Thanks for all, who tested and reports issues/sugestions
    Any feedback welcome...

Troubleshooting
    There are no notes visible in android application
    1, In MS outlook, look into calendar at 29.2.2036.
    -> If there are some appointments, outlook addin is working fine
    -> If not, outlook is not installed correctly. Check log file located at
    Code:
    Vista,W7: c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log  
     XP: c:\Documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log
    - if log file is missing, add-in is not installed at all. Try manual installation (see below)

2, On android device, check calendar at 29.2.2036
    -> if there's no appointments, there is problem with calendar synchronization (probably unrelated to this application)
    -> if there are appointments, check in android app, if coreect calendar is selected in settings.

Manual installation of outlook addin
    - unpack outlookAddin.zip to any directory in your PC
    - rename ExchangeNotes.dl_ to ExchangeNotes.dll
    - in this directory, run command
    Code:
    c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.<ver. number>\RegAsm.exe  ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:ExchangeNotes.tlb /codebase
    - if there is following error: "Could not load file or assembly Extensibility", add this dll into same directory and run again.
    - import addin.reg to you registry
    - (re)start ms outlook

Manual installation on Win 7 64bit system with Outlook 2010 - thanks to saratv

Manual installation on Win8.1 (64 bit) , ms outlook standard 2010 (32 bit) - thanks to p.smurf
    Win 7 64 bit Outlook 2010 - working method

After some trial and error, I was able to install and start the outlook add in in a Win 7 64bit system with Outlook 2010. The automatic install will not work. The manual steps outlined in post #2 did not work either. Following manual installation instructions, the add-in would not start and would be automatically be removed from start.

Here is what worked for me:
    1. Download and install the add-in in from #1.
    2. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn
    3. Run the command c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.xxxxx\RegAsm.exe /codebase ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:Exchange (substituting the proper .NET version that installed). Note the Framework64, not "Framework" as specified in post#2.
    3. Download the zip from post#2 and just run the .reg file in that zip.
    4. Quit (completely exit) Outlook and restart.

The above is a combination of instructions from OP and a few other posts. Note that the .dll in the zip file from #2 would not work on my 64bit system. But the dll that got installed via the installer in to the directory mentioned above in #2 did.

Hope this helps some one.

Thanks to Hundera for coming up with an ingenious solution for Exchange notes.

SV
    Hi,
    I'm very new in android world. I've used WM for a lots of years.
    Very good workaround for notes itens. I've a Xperia Neo and after installing the aplication for Outlook ( work well), how can I install the 2nd file for my android phone.
    Tank you.
    Antonio

Hi, published on adroid market, so you can download it from there
    exchangenotes
    added support for categories - filtering, editing.
    You can't add your own category. Only use existing. Maybe in some future release.

Nearest TO-DO:
    - search in notes
    - customizable layout
    - publish on android market