Probably the smoothest/best ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

OnlySkills

Oct 9, 2012
Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

Stock 4.1.2 lags. So in February, I went to:
-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

So I went to 4.1.2 (Marmite kernel):
--> CM 10 is slow, and lags
--> Slim Bean 4.1.2 is great! But the battery is horrendous
--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.

cartmanotfat

Sep 1, 2010
Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance

dark'em

Aug 4, 2012
Chiajna, Ilfov
Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance

Yes it's the best for Nexus S the cm or cm bigmemorie are cool, they work well with all cm based 4.1 roms. When I miss 4.1's stability I either go back to blackBean 6 or Slim rom 3.1 is the latest 4.1 slim rom (BB6 is non-cm so use the latest simple Marmite kernel, slim 4.1 versions are cm). Helly is one of the best but I can't live without renaming the Carrier lalbel, or 3g & sd card speed hacks

migueldbr

Nov 30, 2011
Coimbra
have you tried cm10 stable?i am using it with stock kernel(and even a theme) and i got no lag at all. I was never a fan of CM, but cm10 stable is really good with stock kernel, i didnt even change it

babe0607

Nov 8, 2008
Athens
Hi...
What gapps are suitable for 4.1.2 hellybean rom and if its possible give a link?
Tia....:)

Στάλθηκε από το Nexus S μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2

babe0607

Nov 8, 2008
Athens
Thank you very much!!!

Στάλθηκε από το Nexus S μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
Try Jelly Shot and Devil Kernel. Super fast user experience.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.

Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better.. :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43149071#post43149071

OnlySkills

Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better.. :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43149071#post43149071

Are we talking Slim Bean 3.1 (4.1.2) here? Or Slim Bean 4 (4.2.2) here?

Because when I was on Slim Bean 3.1, I tried many different kernels as well, but my battery life was horrid. I could barely make 8 hours. For example, I turned the GPS Navigation on, and it drained 1% every 2 minutes. So in 30 minutes to my destination, I was already down 15% battery life! Compared to my current Helly Bean, it's probably more close to 5-6% loss, which is much better. Also, on Slim 3.1, I would experience great overnight drops in battery life while the phone is idle - close to 10-15%. Now, on Helly Bean 4.1.2, I experience similar battery drain as stock rom - close to 1-2% per hour.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I contributed to that a little bit. I didn't have Greenify at that time, and also I didn't turn off Wifi/3G at times like I do now.

Last edited:

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Are we talking Slim Bean 3.1 (4.1.2) here? Or Slim Bean 4 (4.2.2) here?

Because when I was on Slim Bean 3.1, I tried many different kernels as well, but my battery life was horrid. I could barely make 8 hours. For example, I turned the GPS Navigation on, and it drained 1% every 2 minutes. So in 30 minutes to my destination, I was already down 15% battery life! Compared to my current Helly Bean, it's probably more close to 5-6% loss, which is much better. Also, on Slim 3.1, I would experience great overnight drops in battery life while the phone is idle - close to 10-15%. Now, on Helly Bean 4.1.2, I experience similar battery drain as stock rom - close to 1-2% per hour.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I contributed to that a little bit. I didn't have Greenify at that time, and also I didn't turn off Wifi/3G at times like I do now.

4.1.2 (3.1)... and I always use greenify..

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

h00ch

Mar 7, 2012
Hellybean 4.3 seems to be running smoother/faster for me than previous versions, but so far my GPS, text-to-speech, keyboard and screen rotation is not working, so you might want to hold off on it until those issues are fixed!

Rangemster

Apr 25, 2013
more stability

Now i'm with Cyanogen 10.1.2 i have some little lags. The battery life is 1h of screen. I thought to come back to rom stock (4.1.2) with root. What do you think about?

Zahih

Feb 28, 2012
I thought Carbon Nightly 20130909 & Marmite v9 beta is the great combo for the Rom that has a lot of features. Smooth and stable so far.

Max94h

Sep 10, 2012
Trento
I'm running the lastest helly bean relase and it's really fast and smooth! All the bugs from previous version have been corrected...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: husty84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, people!
    If u want REAL speed try to use JellyB TSM + Matrix kernel. I have been using it for 6 months now, and the speed is awesome.
    I'm running the lastest helly bean relase and it's really fast and smooth! All the bugs from previous version have been corrected...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Hello!
    I'm looking for a rom light and stable. I'm currently using the CM 10.1.3 but it's a little laggy and I encountered some bug (the phone ring after 10 minutes from receiving an sms or a whatsapp message)...

Try Android 4.1.2_r2.1 (jz054m) :) With Devil kernel is rock solid... Its clean, smooth and bug free as far as i can tell.