[Guide] Noobs guide to use Titanium Backup for backup and restore of apps.

Is Titanium Backup the most powerfull app for restoring apps and data?

• Yes

Votes: 237 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

^eLipS#

Jan 28, 2012
Novi Sad
I'm using Xperia Z1 Compact. TitaniumBackup worked absolutely fine while I was on stock ROM. But today, after I flashed a custom ROM, it's not working. It can't see my backups, even when I'm in the backup folder. It even shows the list of files in folder, but says 0 backups. When I try to detect folder, it wont find anything. I can't delete system apps, which irritates me because I wanna remove some apps I don't use.
I've tried a different ROM, different .apk files, old and new, downloaded it from PlayStore. Still isn't working. I have busybox, my superSU binary is up to date. Tried deleting and moving back TB folder, changing it from internal to SD card, removing root permission... Nothing helps.
Any ideas? I'm using TitaniumBackup for as far as I can remember and this is the first time I'm experiencing any problems, right when I need my apps and data the most.

Last edited:

jijishthomas

Jun 4, 2013
Pathanamthitta
I'm having problem with titanium bkp. I had backup all my apps with data on 5.1.1 and flashed 6.0.1 rom. Now titanium bkp doesn't detect my bkp.
Tried many things like
copy bkp files to internal,
just made an app bkp and copy my bkp files to that folder etc.
still my TB doesn't detect my old bkp

Backup all user apps at one click.

There are two ways to backup data.

1st through schedule.
2nd through advanced option(Check the 4th post)

In schedule tab you will see two schedule as default
1. Redo backups for modified data
2. Backup new user apps & newer versions

1.Redo backups for modified data.
What it does is takes the backup of new data of all user apps(Like whatsapp chats,new user settings etc).

This schedule automatically backups the newer versions(Updated version) at a given schedule time.

If you want you can manually run the schedules by just clicking on run. Titanium backup will be minimized. The progress can be seen in notification drawer. After completion it will vibrate.

So now you have taken the backup of all your apps through just one click.

You can add new schedule as you want.

singh30

Jul 29, 2014
I am new to Titanium backup, after doing backup userapp/data, when I uninstall the app and then try to restore from Titanium, its also gone from backups.

How can I keep the backup of user app in Tibu even when I uninstalled the user app?

Also Fast/Auto app install has red X on the first screen when I open Titanium back, Hypershell (FAST) has green check mark.

Dec 25, 2013
I have a rooted s3 i9300 which has stock JB ( 4.12 i think ). I have backed up all user+system data plus all external data, and settings ( wifi pass, sms, contacts etc) .

I know have 2 phones, s4 with lollipop and s5 with maybe marshmallow soon.

I want to restore my apps, data, settings to these 2 new phones.

Can I do it, or is there anything that will not work?

gazman100

Jun 6, 2013
Hi ,
I wonder if you can sought this out.
Please find attached a screenshot of TB. The issue I'm having is that I can't get the Backup-Restore button to work anymore.
I use to press it and up comes all the files to delete or save etc.
I've been through all the menus, It was working fine when it was first loaded but now it's locked for some reason.
I had the same problem with a previous phone as well.
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160603-164318.png
    Screenshot_20160603-164318.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 134

palorius

Dec 2, 2015
Nagoya
using google drive to transfer app data across platforms

I have followed Titanium's instructions exactly on this subject. It doesn't work. Here's what happens to me:

I run NOX on my PC and I have a game (FF1 if anyone cares) and I want to transfer the savegame data to my phone for subway rides.
The website says to send the backup to google drive and then sync to Google Drive in the 'Schedules' section (RUN button)
All that happens is that it scans Google Drive folder and then cleans it up (deleting the backup from Drive simultaneously).

Even if I uninstall and then reinstall, this happens.

If I manually import a backup (Menu;Import backup;Drive) the files are all greyed out and I cannot choose them.

I have updated Titanium Pro, so it's not that.
I'm logged into Drive.
I've made new backups.
It will simply not transfer the data. However, I know it works because the first time I tried it (2 weeks ago) it worked.

Can anyone shed some light?

Last edited:

wongfeihung1984

Jan 20, 2016
Beijing
Stuck at searching application data

Hi guys,

everytime I open TB, it stays stuck at searching application data. I've already tried to fix permission with rom toolbox but to no avail. I emailed the TB team 5 days ago but I get nothing from them...

Any idea how to solve my problem?

Regards.

p.s I have the pro version

Reactions: Neo3D

Cremnomaniac

Jun 10, 2013
San Jose
My question has to do with restoring App/data after major changes. I'm currently on an HTC One verizon, running KK4.4.2. I'm going to upgrade to MM 6.0. This is a major change (firmware/Rom) and I want to know how well TB will handle the restore process. I've read that restoring data of any kind might cause problems. I definitely want to be able to restore apps data like email with multiple accounts. Will TB manage it? Is there another option, if not?
I had trouble with TB in the past when I restored some stuff on my HTC Inspire 4g. Left me wondering about the usefulness of TB, despite rave reviews.

Last edited:

Lord Sekhmet

Dec 12, 2012
I got a new phone, LG V10. I have TB pro and I never had problems on my old device.

I keep getting stuck in "Processing ... Please wait"
If I kill it, reboot or any actions to stop TB, I have to reflash my phone.

Previously, it was restoring or defrosting apps. At this very moment, TB is stuck changing a user app to a system app.

Help, I don't want to have to flash and setup my whole device ... AGAIN.

Oh, 8 hours and counting "Processing ... Please Wait"

Last edited:

zogoibi

Aug 18, 2011
I'm bewildered because suddenly I'm missing Titanium Backup app itself listed in TB's (unfiltered) list of installed apps. I'd swear I've seen it there previously. Is this a new "feature" from some update? Is it the normal operation? Or why on earth the app is not listing itself? What may be going wrong in my phone? I've wiped TB's cache, wiped TB's data, reinstalled it... but no game. When I open it, no trace of it in its own app list.
Any hints appreciated!

wongfeihung1984

Jan 20, 2016
Beijing
Hi my friend,

Thank you for your time in writing this guide. MUCH appreciated.

I have a question for you: when I switch between custom roms, i.e from resurrection remix to phronesis, I notice that when I want to backup my contacts, call logs or sms, the titanium backup yellow icon is not listed anymore, but it was in resurrection remix. I can still the one for accounts or widget, but not the ones I just wrote about.

Is this normal? Is the fact that resurrection remix is an AOSP rom and phronesis a TouchWiz rom relevant?

I hope I'm being understood:D

Thank you.

muiacir

Nov 8, 2013
Some questions :
1 - How to backup settings changes that we set by titaniun backup?
2 - Is it possible to backup layout and order of apps that we created in menu by titanium backup?
3 - if we create backup from android 4.4 then can we restore that in android 6 in another phone?how? Because I really tested it and now i tell you that : if youcreate backup your files then copy the folder of backups to another way for example in memorycard then after install a rom , the TB does not recognize the backups. I mean do not touch the backups folder after cearing backup

larciel

Dec 22, 2010
newb here. searched and didn't find answer. but I'm trying to backup and restore app data for a chat program. I have TB pro, and backup and restore is working but problem is backed up app is coming from android v4.4.2 and i'm trying to move to a phone that has 5.02

any way I can do this? I can't update the 4.4.2 phone without wiping out all data..

Thanks

raptorddd

Jun 13, 2013
culiacan
i cant restore data.??? LG G4 h811. MM

when i was on G2 i back ups worked okey.. then i moved to LG G4.. i used 5.1 rooted.. and restored worked okey..
but then i moved to 6.0.. and restored worked okey too... but trying to update backups will add another new back up.. and the new back ups show just a blue check mark.. deleting this new back ups, and next time i launched titanium ther were there... i read i need it to check external sd and documents and files.. i did that and it moved files.. but they became 0kb.. luckily i had a backup on my pc.. but i cant restore that either . all data has blue check mark.. its been a week already and i cant find a solution to this. see attached pictured..
am using latest free titamium app.

Attachments

• titaniuuuuum.jpg
    titaniuuuuum.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 104

Yannick1988

Jul 28, 2012
Hello,
TitaniumBackup doesn't show my backups.
I select the folder manually with the backups, folder seem writable (no message and backups are there, see picture) but it didn't detect the folder automatically (strange).
In the list of app, there is no backup available. (see picture)

Could you help me please. I'm on CM13 on Elephone P9000.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160904-163819.png
    Screenshot_20160904-163819.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20160904-163801.jpg
    Screenshot_20160904-163801.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Yannick1988

Jul 28, 2012
Hello,
TitaniumBackup doesn't show my backups.
I select the folder manually with the backups, folder seem writable (no message and backups are there, see picture) but it didn't detect the folder automatically (strange).
In the list of app, there is no backup available. (see picture)

Could you help me please. I'm on CM13 on Elephone P9000.
Thank you.

Solved

Envoyé de mon P9000 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi guys,

everytime I open TB, it stays stuck at searching application data. I've already tried to fix permission with rom toolbox but to no avail. I emailed the TB team 5 days ago but I get nothing from them...

Any idea how to solve my problem?

Regards.

p.s I have the pro version

Same here! :(

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I've tried uninstalled, wiping cache and dalvik, then reinstalling...still hangs on "searching application data"???

Last edited:

sordup

Nov 1, 2011
Restoring TB backups from old phone

I have setup a new phone which is a replacement phone (Nexus 5X) for one with a faulty camera. The old one is also a Nexus 5X. They are both rooted in Android 7 and have Titanium Pro installed.

Is it safe to assume that having backed up all apps + data from the old phone, then copying the contents of the TitaniumBackup folder from the old to the new phone will then allow me to restore everything onto the new device? Or are backups device specific? Again, they are the same make and model phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a noobs Guide to how to use Titanium Backup .

Many of the users might have heard of a app named Titanium Backup. Its the most used app in the Android Market who frequently flash ROMS and for those who doesnt want to download all apps again and again from Store after flashing new ROMS.

What is Titanium Backup?
    Titanium Backup is an app which can backup all your app+data in just one click(Even system apps but not recommened).Can delete system apps,convert system apps to user apps.

So how to use.

Note: Your phone must be rooted and USB debugging should be on which is present in developer options while installing.

Lets start with first thing you see after installation.

If you face a root acces failure then tap on option button of your phone scroll down tap on reload application.

You will see 3 tabs:
    1.Overview
    2.Backup/Restore
    3.Schedule

Overview will give you the short details of your root device and memory.
    Like Root access. Data profile(Used to set any filters for a app). Memory details of your partitions and usage.

Backup/Restore will show the details of the apps installed in you phone.
    You will see different type of apps highlighted in different colors

White: The apps you installed
    Red: System apps which can be converted to system apps.
    Yellow: Most important system apps which can not be moved(Dont uninstall or else you need to reflash your rom again).

Schedules sets a time for backup.
    You can set the type of backup you want at a particular time.

Those who frequently change roms check the 4th post for restore and backup.
    Restore and backup all apps at once and restore your apps from previous roms \.

This is the most advanced part of Titanium Backup.

After installing new rom you will see a warning showing change in android device ID. Details are given in warning messsage.

Now click the option button of you phone.

You will see 7 sections:

1.General
    2.Play store/Market
    3.Storage
    4.Import/Export
    5.Special Backup/Restore
    6.Your Device
    7.Special Features

1.General section there 4 options:
    1 Filters: This section filters the apps you want to see. If you want to see only user apps select only User. The change can be seen in backup/Restore Tab. As you have selected user apps you will see all the apps in white.

2. Batch Restore: This section should be used properly. This section restores app+data in just one click.

This is distributed in 10 sections:
    1. Verify Backup: Verifys backup.
    2. Backup: Select the type of backup: Use the 1st one "Backup all user apps" Dont backup system data as it will create conflict in new rom when you restore it.
    When you select this option all your user apps will be displayed.

3.Restore: This option will restore all backups.
    When you select the 2nd option "Restore all apps with data". In top you will see three options App+Data, App only, Data Only.
    If you dont want to restore a particular just untick that app and it will not be installed.
    If you find that some apps are not restore just select the 1st option " Restore missing apps with data". It will show the list of unrestored apps.

4. Move/ Integrate: This section moves apps to sd card or from sd card to internel. Dont RUN the 3rd option "Integrate updates" As it will create a conflict.

5. Freeze/ Defrost: This section disables the apps.

6. Android Market: Links for the user apps.

7. Manipulate data: This section clears data of all user apps at once. Rest i didnt use so cant tell(Last 3 option).

8. Recovery mode: In this section you can create a update.zip of all your apps which can be flashed through recovery.

9. Uninstall: Will uninstall all your apps at once.

10. Delete Backups : This section will delete all the backup at once.

2. Play store /Market: This section consists of links of apps to the playstore.

3. Storage: In this 1st option shows the usage of the apps. Rest leave untouched.

4. Import: This will import the backups done by Titanium backup of a particular app (Check 2nd Post how to export a app)

5.Special Backup / Restore:
    5.1 Backup data to xml : This section backup your msgs, call logs , wifi password.
    5.2 Restore data from xml : This section will restore msgs, call logs , wifi password.
    5.3 Extract from Nandroid backup : This section will restore app from the backup of your ROM made through recovery.
    5.4 Extract from ADB Backup: Haven't used this feature so cant tell

6. Your Device: Reboot and Manage Android ID.

7. Special Feature:
    It creates a update.zip of itself(Titanium Backup) which can be flashed through recovery.(Install Zipsigner from store to create update.zip)

Reload Application: Will Reload the app.

So finally you have restored all your apps. If you have missed an app to restore but dont want to take long process to restore just go to backup/restore tab. Scroll Down. You will see that particular app in strike through. Tap on that app. Select restore.

The backups are stored in sdcard in a folder named "Titanium Backup". Dont delete this folder or else you will lose all your backed up apps.
    Backup specific app

Here comes the real use of Titanium Backup. The backup/Restore Part.

Here you will see the list of apps installed in your phone.

First lets see how to backup a single app.

Now tap on the app.

You will see two tabs
    1.Backup Properties
    2.Special Properties

1.Backup Properties
    a. Backup : This will backup your selected app as app+data.
    b. Freeze : This will disable the app.

Rest of the things you know from the name

When backup is complete again tap on the app you took backup. You will see a tab Restore and delete of the app.

Select restore you will see 3 options App+Data, App Only , Data Only

App+Data will restore apk as well as data(Data consists of settings,login info in short user defined settings and all you made for that app)

App will restore app only. Data will restore data only.

2.Special Properties
    It is made of 4 sections:
    1. General
    2. Play store/ Market
    3. Storage
    4. System ROM.

1General Section is easily understandable.(I hope You can)
    In general section there is a option named " Send latest backup" you can send to other phone or store it locally and restore(Check 4th post). The backup is stored in .TiBkp

2. Playstore/Market shows the links of the app in playstore.
    3. Storage Section is also understanable. In explore it shows the files it uses and the location of files where it is installed with DB)
    4. System ROM section can be used to convert a user application app to system app.
    In some app you will see "Force remove app" I would suggest dont click on it.

User app is shown in white after you convert it in system app it will become red.
    Schedule

Backup all user apps at one click.

There are two ways to backup data.

1st through schedule.
    2nd through advanced option(Check the 4th post)

In schedule tab you will see two schedule as default
    1. Redo backups for modified data

1.Redo backups for modified data.
    What it does is takes the backup of new data of all user apps(Like whatsapp chats,new user settings etc).

This schedule automatically backups the newer versions(Updated version) at a given schedule time.

If you want you can manually run the schedules by just clicking on run. Titanium backup will be minimized. The progress can be seen in notification drawer. After completion it will vibrate.

So now you have taken the backup of all your apps through just one click.

You can add new schedule as you want.
    Future

For future use.