Casemate Tough Case - Pics/Review

Search This thread

amadeus303

Jan 12, 2013
The phone will be uneven on it's back. I find using it a lot at work on my desk face up, and with my current case and kickstand not being flush - it's driving me crazy when it wobbles. Funny how you never notice these kind of details when you first get the case. Then, after awhile you start realizing what pisses your off with it lol!!!

OK - so now I have both a Pop and a Tough. The Tough is everything I was hoping it to be... hybrid protection, better grip, slim(mer) form factor. Compared to the Pop, it seems to be just a tad "meatier", but not uncomfortably so. Like Slesh said, you'd be surprised how slim it is for the protection. I really like them both a lot. In fact, I'd venture to say that I've now become a Case-Mate fanboy.

If I had to choose only one, I would lean ever so slightly toward the Pop. The protection between the two is pretty similar (with a slight nod going toward the Tough as expected), but it's the lay flat kickstand that does it for me. Sure, it can be a little finicky and some may argue flimsy, but I've never really had an issue. It's really convenient to plop on my desk and watch something.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned that Case Mate was going to release a Tough with a kickstand (especially a lay flat one!)... that would be the perfect case IMO. If they are actually planning to release one, I'll be the first in line to pick one up.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleshepic

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
OK - so now I have both a Pop and a Tough. The Tough is everything I was hoping it to be... hybrid protection, better grip, slim(mer) form factor. Compared to the Pop, it seems to be just a tad "meatier", but not uncomfortably so. Like Slesh said, you'd be surprised how slim it is for the protection. I really like them both a lot. In fact, I'd venture to say that I've now become a Case-Mate fanboy.

If I had to choose only one, I would lean ever so slightly toward the Pop. The protection between the two is pretty similar (with a slight nod going toward the Tough as expected), but it's the lay flat kickstand that does it for me. Sure, it can be a little finicky and some may argue flimsy, but I've never really had an issue. It's really convenient to plop on my desk and watch something.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned that Case Mate was going to release a Tough with a kickstand (especially a lay flat one!)... that would be the perfect case IMO. If they are actually planning to release one, I'll be the first in line to pick one up.

Do you mind posting a few pics, preferably side-by-side? All this talk about Case-mate Tough makes me curious with every read :) I'm still not giving up on UAG lol!!! I think at this point, I will wait to get my UAG case, use it for a little while and then hopefully Case-Mate Tough w/kickstand will be available to compare both original and kickstand versions against UAG.

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
Well Team Venum is now Sponsored by Case-mate, didn't have to do with this thread, but i'll do my best to update reviews with any/all cases I receive. They will be honest and thorough, with pics.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I got my Marine Blue/Titanium Case-mate Tough Case (http://www.case-mate.com//samsung-g...se-mate-samsung-galaxy-note-2-tough-cases.asp) today and so far very impressed with this case!!! Reading Slesh's review as well as other comments gives you an idea of what to expect, but you don't realize how light and slim this case is until you hold it in your own hands. You almost get fooled into thinking how such a slim case claims to be "tough" and offers you a protection? Make no mistake, it does! I always believe a picture is worth a thousand words, so I included a ton of those below, from every angle and inside-out. Also, want to add a few of my thoughts about the case.

Unlike a lot of other dual layer cases, case-mate came up with an original design of a inner rubber bumper (not the full shell) and outer plastic shell. Bumper is made out of hard TPU material that fits very snugly around the phone, and when assembled with a plastic shell - has zero pull around the edges. Inner plastic shell has an extra cushion lining in the middle which aligns perfectly with a bumper cutout which explains how they were able to make this case so thin. Plastic shell itself has a nice grip and a cool textured design. The textured diamonds are very subtle and the surface is easy to clean, as I found out within minutes after my 4 year old grabbed it with his pizza hands :) The lip, as I tried taking a close up in a few of the pictures, is not as high as on some other cases with silicon lining, but due to TPU hard nature of the material it will serve its purpose on par, if not even better, than other cases with a higher lip made out of soft silicon that pulls away. Every cutout is precise and generous. S-pen is easy to access, headphone jack has wide enough opening to accommodate different options, micro-usb port is wide enough for any after-market plug, and mic and speaker openings wide enough for a clear sound going in and out. Volume and power buttons are clearly marked and very easy to locate just by feeling while sliding your finger along the edge. They also have a click feedback when you press on it. It's true these are not easy to press, but I personally don't mind that because in my previous case with silicone inner shell I had a lot of accidental power on hits. Camera and led flash opening has a slight raised edge which I not sure the purpose of, but it flattens out; I took a close up picture of that as well.

It's hard to say which case I would compare it to because I think it's in a class by itself. It's like a hybrid between Commuter and slim TPU case since it's that thin and yet offers a decent level of protection. Once I get my UAG case, I will do side-by-side comparison since in my book I consider these two cases to offer the best of both worlds between slim design and phone protection.

EDIT. a few more comments. I would like to add that package it came in is actually very high quality and that shiny top is made out of real aluminum, not some cheap foil (I'm talking about the box this case was packaged in). Also, unlike other vendors, it didn't include any screen protector which is common with other higher quality cases. Not sure if its even necessary since those are typically not high quality sp anyway, just a bonus. But still wanted to point out because people asking me if it came with any other goodies lol! Furthermore, the phone is very balanced once on its back, no wobbling or rocking - important if you are using it on flat surface to type/browse. Also, it does offer some grip with a surface once you lay it down on the screen or the back - important detail so the phone will not slide freely if you bump it on the table.

tough-case-01_zpscef51b12.jpg

tough-case-02_zpsc1960272.jpg

tough-case-03_zps088b4fe4.jpg

tough-case-04_zps85c5992d.jpg

tough-case-05_zps58a4a6de.jpg

tough-case-06_zpsa21e16ae.jpg

tough-case-07_zps91eb5389.jpg

tough-case-08_zpsc4a539d8.jpg

tough-case-09_zps5f76dbb0.jpg

tough-case-10_zps4cc52f0a.jpg

tough-case-11_zpsda679962.jpg

tough-case-12_zps38bfbee2.jpg

tough-case-13_zps800f3b0b.jpg

tough-case-14_zpsd3ab650a.jpg

tough-case-15_zps2acb11fe.jpg

tough-case-16_zps0408c84a.jpg

tough-case-17_zpsb69185df.jpg

Last edited:

kikoexe

Sep 25, 2011
also got mine this morning.. was surprised that the case still managed to give the slim feel of the phone.. as far as i can remember with the tough case for the s2 and s3 with the case on, it was bulky.. so props to casemate for this wonderful case! ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

gasolin

Jan 19, 2011
I am concerned about how hard,easy it is to press the buttons with the tough case on.

What's your opinion on that? That's why i am looking at others cases,covers

kikoexe

Sep 25, 2011
well pressing the power button takes a little getting to used to as it is somewhat stiff.. the volume buttons on the other hand are easy to press.. what i like about this version of the toughcase compared from other versions like the one from s2 and s3 is that the buttons are not protruding that much.. its almost aligned with the entire case.. so the buttons will no longer be pressed accidentally when you have tight pockets..

gasolin

Jan 19, 2011
I can get in grey and blue,(that i don't like so much), in denmark, but if i want to buy it in black, the only place where it's available in black in denmark, it costs just over 40€, is there any one who know a place in europe where i can buy it at a resonable price? (like the blue case but not the grey colour of the rubber,silicone, blue and black would have been okay instead of just black that looks classic and stylis, i have a dark sgs note 2)

Here the price for the black one is about the same as in denmark, but It usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months(what is going with the black version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...+2&rh=i:aps,k:case+mate+tough+case+for+note+2

Last edited:

jrb7561

Feb 8, 2011
Just received this case. It's replacing my seidio surface case. I actually like the Seidio case a lot, especially for the kickstand, however I just don't think it's going to give me much protection should I drop the phone. I've already broken one note 2 when I was just using a Ringke slim case. I'm sorry all those cases with the tops and bottom exposed are jokes. They're only good for scratches and will do nothing if you drop the thing. Like everything else here has said, this case is extremely thin however it does give you more protection (and piece of mind) for handling your $700 toy. I do however miss having a kickstand. Does anyone know if a flygrip would work on this case? A tough case with a kick stand seems like the ideal case. Hopefully they could keep the profile just as thin as this case.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I am concerned about how hard,easy it is to press the buttons with the tough case on.

What's your opinion on that? That's why i am looking at others cases,covers

As it was mentioned above, volume buttons are easier to press because its longer while power button is shorter and a little harder to press. Some people add a little piece of tape inside of the case behind the button so it will be more sensitive to the touch, thus more responsive when you push it.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Just received this case. It's replacing my seidio surface case. I actually like the Seidio case a lot, especially for the kickstand, however I just don't think it's going to give me much protection should I drop the phone. I've already broken one note 2 when I was just using a Ringke slim case. I'm sorry all those cases with the tops and bottom exposed are jokes. They're only good for scratches and will do nothing if you drop the thing. Like everything else here has said, this case is extremely thin however it does give you more protection (and piece of mind) for handling your $700 toy. I do however miss having a kickstand. Does anyone know if a flygrip would work on this case? A tough case with a kick stand seems like the ideal case. Hopefully they could keep the profile just as thin as this case.

Perhaps you should have looked into Case Mate Pop case? That one has a kick stand, although I'm not sure if it offer the same level of protection as Tough case. The case I used before, a cheapo rugged case from ebay had a kick stand as well which I was using as "flygrip" handle while watching or reading in bed. In theory, any flygrip-like handle with a sticky back should stick to the back of the case. But I think they usually recommend a completely flat surface.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
While I was playing with my Tough Case, I realized that I can use a holster from one of my other cheap ebay cases that came with a holster. Its just a generic slide-in holster for rugged cases I've seen all over ebay. The only problem, it's doesn't have a tight fit since obviously it wasn't designed specifically for Tough Case. There is a little gap, you can see from a picture close up. But overall you can definitely use it in portrait belt clip position, or even in landscape as long as the opened side of the holster is not pointing down. It will give you an extra screen protection when you carry your Tough Case in the pocket or throw into a bag. Btw, it also makes me wonder if it will work with Seidio Active holster since that one has a spring loaded latch.

But anyway, here are the pictures of this so called "mod":

tough-case-holster-1_zps965bcf34.jpg

tough-case-holster-2_zpsc9af5b01.jpg

tough-case-holster-3_zps582ef31b.jpg

tough-case-holster-4_zpsa56bb255.jpg

tough-case-holster-5_zpse20d41b9.jpg

tough-case-holster-6_zps1cbafa39.jpg

tough-case-holster-7_zps774e1b7b.jpg

tough-case-holster-8_zpsacbcd2b1.jpg

tough-case-holster-9_zps78ebd706.jpg

Last edited:

gasolin

Jan 19, 2011
WHY ist there always pictures of the white sgs 2 with the tough case or many another brand of cases,covers, i definitely can't see if i schould get the blue one thats available or wait for the black/black one. If someone have the blue and grey with a dark note 2 or link to someone who does, please send me a link or a picture

kikoexe

Sep 25, 2011
WHY ist there always pictures of the white sgs 2 with the tough case or many another brand of cases,covers, i definitely can't see if i schould get the blue one thats available or wait for the black/black one. If someone have the blue and grey with a dark note 2 or link to someone who does, please send me a link or a picture

i hope this is enough.. here's my note2 with the case on..

note2casemate2_zpsd6ae97ef.jpg

note2casemate3_zps6751f1d9.jpg

Last edited:

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
Great pics guys!

Sure would be a nice feature to buy individual color pieces. Still rocking my black and red, but think other combos would be cool too (black and grey, blue and black etc).

Should be getting some new cases soon enough, will update when I do.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Great pics guys!

Sure would be a nice feature to buy individual color pieces. Still rocking my black and red, but think other combos would be cool too (black and grey, blue and black etc).

Should be getting some new cases soon enough, will update when I do.

Which one are you getting? I remember you already had all the top ones already.

For me, I'm waiting for Case-Mate Pop! and UAG Navigator due by this Friday.. I'm digging Tough case so much now, will be hard to convince me otherwise.

kikoexe

Sep 25, 2011
me too.. im liking this case even more.. it didn't made the phone wider or thicker.. i was really surprised as to how slim the case was.. i previously owned the tough case for the s2 and s3 and after a week, i sold them because the phone became ticker.. so props to casemate for doing this to the note2 version.. and the rubbery grip is nice to the touch.. looks like i finally found the right case for me.. :cool:

gasolin

Jan 19, 2011
Can't wait until i order one, i prefer the black one (the grips very god on the sgs 3 version), i would have liked if i could get the rubber,silicone in black and the hard shell in blue, the black and red one i think is not discrete,like it's to much look at me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Tough cases has always been the best I've owned. They have changed the design up for our Note 2 (just like trident, I feel these companies are debuting the latest and greatest with our phone). So I've reviewed it below.

Made a separate review thread here, easier to post a bunch of pics.

http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686
    I got my Marine Blue/Titanium Case-mate Tough Case (http://www.case-mate.com//samsung-g...se-mate-samsung-galaxy-note-2-tough-cases.asp) today and so far very impressed with this case!!! Reading Slesh's review as well as other comments gives you an idea of what to expect, but you don't realize how light and slim this case is until you hold it in your own hands. You almost get fooled into thinking how such a slim case claims to be "tough" and offers you a protection? Make no mistake, it does! I always believe a picture is worth a thousand words, so I included a ton of those below, from every angle and inside-out. Also, want to add a few of my thoughts about the case.

Unlike a lot of other dual layer cases, case-mate came up with an original design of a inner rubber bumper (not the full shell) and outer plastic shell. Bumper is made out of hard TPU material that fits very snugly around the phone, and when assembled with a plastic shell - has zero pull around the edges. Inner plastic shell has an extra cushion lining in the middle which aligns perfectly with a bumper cutout which explains how they were able to make this case so thin. Plastic shell itself has a nice grip and a cool textured design. The textured diamonds are very subtle and the surface is easy to clean, as I found out within minutes after my 4 year old grabbed it with his pizza hands :) The lip, as I tried taking a close up in a few of the pictures, is not as high as on some other cases with silicon lining, but due to TPU hard nature of the material it will serve its purpose on par, if not even better, than other cases with a higher lip made out of soft silicon that pulls away. Every cutout is precise and generous. S-pen is easy to access, headphone jack has wide enough opening to accommodate different options, micro-usb port is wide enough for any after-market plug, and mic and speaker openings wide enough for a clear sound going in and out. Volume and power buttons are clearly marked and very easy to locate just by feeling while sliding your finger along the edge. They also have a click feedback when you press on it. It's true these are not easy to press, but I personally don't mind that because in my previous case with silicone inner shell I had a lot of accidental power on hits. Camera and led flash opening has a slight raised edge which I not sure the purpose of, but it flattens out; I took a close up picture of that as well.

It's hard to say which case I would compare it to because I think it's in a class by itself. It's like a hybrid between Commuter and slim TPU case since it's that thin and yet offers a decent level of protection. Once I get my UAG case, I will do side-by-side comparison since in my book I consider these two cases to offer the best of both worlds between slim design and phone protection.

EDIT. a few more comments. I would like to add that package it came in is actually very high quality and that shiny top is made out of real aluminum, not some cheap foil (I'm talking about the box this case was packaged in). Also, unlike other vendors, it didn't include any screen protector which is common with other higher quality cases. Not sure if its even necessary since those are typically not high quality sp anyway, just a bonus. But still wanted to point out because people asking me if it came with any other goodies lol! Furthermore, the phone is very balanced once on its back, no wobbling or rocking - important if you are using it on flat surface to type/browse. Also, it does offer some grip with a surface once you lay it down on the screen or the back - important detail so the phone will not slide freely if you bump it on the table.

tough-case-01_zpscef51b12.jpg

tough-case-02_zpsc1960272.jpg

tough-case-03_zps088b4fe4.jpg

tough-case-04_zps85c5992d.jpg

tough-case-05_zps58a4a6de.jpg

tough-case-06_zpsa21e16ae.jpg

tough-case-07_zps91eb5389.jpg

tough-case-08_zpsc4a539d8.jpg

tough-case-09_zps5f76dbb0.jpg

tough-case-10_zps4cc52f0a.jpg

tough-case-11_zpsda679962.jpg

tough-case-12_zps38bfbee2.jpg

tough-case-13_zps800f3b0b.jpg

tough-case-14_zpsd3ab650a.jpg

tough-case-15_zps2acb11fe.jpg

tough-case-16_zps0408c84a.jpg

tough-case-17_zpsb69185df.jpg
    Here's a few with the red liner. The sun was beaming right on it in a few of them, and makes the red look lighter than it is.

EDIT: and people keep mentioning how it looks boring or generic, that depends on what you consider to look good. Personally I pay extra money for good clothing and gear that DOESN'T turn me into a walking billboard, or have rediculous markings. I find often in life the highest quality brands don't spend time plastering their damn logo ALL OVER a product and adding useless lines all over the place. All these cases now try to make your phone look like a cyborg, I'm all set with that. I don't think it looks boring at all, I think it looks and feels like quality, and looks professional and sophisticated. Which it is. Also if people are going to complain that the case adds weight and size to the phone over naked, I just don't know what to say. OF course it will! this is a comparison over other cases not over naked, geez lol
    but you don't have a problem posting coupon discounts?

sorry, I didn't know you owned XDA..

It is 100% inappropriate to try to sell personal goods in an accessories thread not dedicated to that. And this thread is for reviews and discount codes pretty much specifically so whats the issue with that? not sure how you dont see the dif dude. You have enough posts under your belt to know better.
    Posted the link in the OP, whipped together a quick review and put a bunch of pics on the team site, might add more etc tomorrow

http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686