[Q] Brain Freeze

Search This thread

leafy2

May 1, 2012
Hi, Hoping someone can explain a solution to a problem my missus & I are experiencing with our Desire S mobiles. Got them a couple of years ago from O2 and never bothered deactivating the simlock although they were rooted.

Now we've come to the end of the contract and, having been given new phones we're looking to offload the Desires, but that when the problem manifested itself.

One potential customer, who's on the ASDA network asked me to try their SIM in the phone. This I duly did, but all that happened was that the lock screen appeared and then froze. All I was able to do was scroll down the "Settings" screen, but attempting to access any of the categories just dumped me back on the lock screen.

This means that I'm unable to unlock the phone as, even if the phone recognised a SIM I have no way of inputting a PIN. I then obtained SIMs from several different carriers, with identical results. I even tried restoring one of the handsets to its' previous, un-rooted state but this made no difference. Up until the freeze the boot sequence seems normal.

If it helps, when this happens the taskbar shows a small SIM-like icon with a cross next to it and "Emergency calls only" along with a completely greyed-out signal strength indicator so I'm at a real loss as to where to go from here- any suggestions? Thanks for looking.

SKENER

Feb 17, 2014
Mostar
Hi, Hoping someone can explain a solution to a problem my missus & I are experiencing with our Desire S mobiles. Got them a couple of years ago from O2 and never bothered deactivating the simlock although they were rooted.

Now we've come to the end of the contract and, having been given new phones we're looking to offload the Desires, but that when the problem manifested itself.

One potential customer, who's on the ASDA network asked me to try their SIM in the phone. This I duly did, but all that happened was that the lock screen appeared and then froze. All I was able to do was scroll down the "Settings" screen, but attempting to access any of the categories just dumped me back on the lock screen.

This means that I'm unable to unlock the phone as, even if the phone recognised a SIM I have no way of inputting a PIN. I then obtained SIMs from several different carriers, with identical results. I even tried restoring one of the handsets to its' previous, un-rooted state but this made no difference. Up until the freeze the boot sequence seems normal.

If it helps, when this happens the taskbar shows a small SIM-like icon with a cross next to it and "Emergency calls only" along with a completely greyed-out signal strength indicator so I'm at a real loss as to where to go from here- any suggestions? Thanks for looking.

Can you give more info?
Unlocked bootloader?
S-ON or S-OFF?
Recovery?Custom ROM or Stock ROM?

If you have sim lock on you should get a pin lock at start.That doesn't mean you can't put other sim in.You will just be asked for pin.

leafy2

May 1, 2012
Can you give more info?
Unlocked bootloader?
S-ON or S-OFF?
Recovery?Custom ROM or Stock ROM?

If you have sim lock on you should get a pin lock at start.That doesn't mean you can't put other sim in.You will just be asked for pin.

No, I never get as far as a simlock. Putting a valid O2 or GiffGaff (Also O2) SIM into the phone works fine (The phone was originally O2 and was never unlocked). However, any other SIM isn't recognised at all- The Lock screen won't respond to any inputs, the taskbar shows a SIM symbol with an exclamation mark next to it, and although you can drag the taskbar open, as soon as you hit "Settings" you just get returned to the lock screen. The phone is rooted (Cooldroid V9.0) but S-ON and has the 2.00.000 ROM. This is true for both Desire Ss that I have.

SKENER

Feb 17, 2014
Mostar
No, I never get as far as a simlock. Putting a valid O2 or GiffGaff (Also O2) SIM into the phone works fine (The phone was originally O2 and was never unlocked). However, any other SIM isn't recognised at all- The Lock screen won't respond to any inputs, the taskbar shows a SIM symbol with an exclamation mark next to it, and although you can drag the taskbar open, as soon as you hit "Settings" you just get returned to the lock screen. The phone is rooted (Cooldroid V9.0) but S-ON and has the 2.00.000 ROM. This is true for both Desire Ss that I have.

Looks like carrier lock (O2). XTC clip can open any HTC.There's no way yet to unlock carrier lock yourself without XTC clip or serious hacking.
S-OFF and all other solution won't help much.You can try find how it can be unlocked on other similar phones to Desire.
Sorry.Maybe someone with more exp in this kind of lock can help you.

leafy2

May 1, 2012
Looks like carrier lock (O2). XTC clip can open any HTC.There's no way yet to unlock carrier lock yourself without XTC clip or serious hacking.
S-OFF and all other solution won't help much.You can try find how it can be unlocked on other similar phones to Desire.
Sorry.Maybe someone with more exp in this kind of lock can help you.

Many thanks for the explanation. TBH I'd never heard of clip lock, tho considering my experience of O2 over the past couple of years I'm not really surprised. Do you know if there's any way to confirm carrier lock, and how certain is it that XTC Clip can solve this problem? I actually have a couple of Desire Ss in this state so I'm weighing up whether it would be more economical to buy an XTC rather than continuing in my quest to get them sorted by other means!

SKENER

Feb 17, 2014
Mostar
Many thanks for the explanation. TBH I'd never heard of clip lock, tho considering my experience of O2 over the past couple of years I'm not really surprised. Do you know if there's any way to confirm carrier lock, and how certain is it that XTC Clip can solve this problem? I actually have a couple of Desire Ss in this state so I'm weighing up whether it would be more economical to buy an XTC rather than continuing in my quest to get them sorted by other means!

Read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=939801.

From what you can see XTC clip make phone Super CID (unbranded).You can find someone who have it at unlock your phones for low price.

To confirm carrier lock install custom rom and put sim card from othet provider in and try to access phone.If it ask for unlock code (not pin code) or you don't get anything (no service and only emergency call) then it is carrier lock.You can use search here on desire s xda forum with unlock phone and read about that problem.

GL

leafy2

May 1, 2012
Read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=939801.

From what you can see XTC clip make phone Super CID (unbranded).You can find someone who have it at unlock your phones for low price.

To confirm carrier lock install custom rom and put sim card from othet provider in and try to access phone.If it ask for unlock code (not pin code) or you don't get anything (no service and only emergency call) then it is carrier lock.You can use search here on desire s xda forum with unlock phone and read about that problem.

GL

Here's an update to my saga; After several visits to various phone shops that "guarantee" unlocking I was beginning to lose the will to live. I therefore thought I'd attempt to get this "carrier lock" that was mentioned removed so I rang O2 who originally supplied my phone. I spoke to one of their drones, who seemed to know what I was on about. He promised that he'd unlock the phone, and send me instructions via e-mail to implement the procedure.

This really cheered me up- for about 24 hours, when the promised e-mail arrived. It contained a code number and a list of steps, the first of which was "Load a non-O2 SIM into the phone and switch on". As you know this is impossible as the phone freezes on the lock screen whenever it senses a foreign SIM, leaving you with no way of inputting a code. So it looks like carrier lock is excluded from the list of culprits.

In the course of my frantic searching I've come across a couple of "possible" solutions, and I'd like your thoughts on their viability. First of all I read that an RUU may be the solution to my woes. I'd just like to know a)Is this really do-able, 2)Where would I obtain one from, and 3)What exactly IS an RUU? My other plausible scenario is to get hold of an XTC clip. They're pretty cheap, especially as I have 2 phones with the same symptoms, but what are my chances of success? Any help or advice would be really welcome- in the meantime I'm on the lookout for a piece of sturdy rope, a wobbly stool and a robust light fitting! Thanks for reading.

leafy2

May 1, 2012
Incidentally, someone asked for details from the actual handset. Sorry for the delay; they are

**** UNLOCKED ****
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-BOOT
Aug 22 2011,15:22:13

Unlocked Bootloader (via HTCdev)

ROM- CoolDroid Revolution v9.0

Recovery 4EXT

Hope that helps.

SKENER

Feb 17, 2014
Mostar
Incidentally, someone asked for details from the actual handset. Sorry for the delay; they are

**** UNLOCKED ****
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-BOOT
Aug 22 2011,15:22:13

Unlocked Bootloader (via HTCdev)

ROM- CoolDroid Revolution v9.0

Recovery 4EXT

Hope that helps.

Rom Update Utility (RUU) is update for HTC phones.It official update and it must match your phone CID.RUU update all and that mean all-radio,ril,hboot,rom.
Before trying RUU I advise you to try install unofficial CM 10.1 or 10.2 and insert non-O2 card and see what happen.If you got unlock dialog that would be great.If not then you can try RUU.

For using RUU first need to get phone CID.Best way is adb command get_allvar (or something like that-you can search for it).When you get CID then you find list of all CID here that point you to right RUU's for your phone.
RUU can be older then your current system and it will say it can't be updated but you can trick it with adb.You can read about it in downgrading hboot tutorials here.
But first try CM 10.1 or 10.2.

Sorry for english errors.

Last edited: