[GUIDE] Kobo Arc, 7, 7HD and 10HD - ROOT and Development

Search This thread

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Kobo
Arc, Arc 7, Arc 7HD and Arc 10HD

With the release of not 1 but 3 new devices from Kobo and no specific device forum I thought it time we consolidated any and all root / development available information on them under one roof. All credit for others work will be acknowledged if known.

If anyone has any info they feel should be added please post it and ill add it
The following devices and development status are list below

Kobo Arc - Root + recovery (POSSIBLE PROBLEM WITH NEW SYSTEM UPDATE, Arctic may no longer work)
Kobo Arc 7 - Root
Kobo Arc 7HD - Root + recovery
Kobo Arc 10HD - Root + recovery

Please support development on these projects, sign up to XDA and join in, we need all the help that we can get!

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Kobo Arc

Root

Enable unknown sources In security options
Download arctic.apk to your tablet from http://zhuoweizhang.net/Arctic.apk and install, it will do the rest and install Chainfires SU

Enjoy your root access

Please note, the Arctic patch for the original arc may no longer work after a recent system update, possible solution would be to use fiddler to check what response the device receives to with the update, then hardreset device, connect to an access point directed to a proxy with fiddler running and change the response it gets, going to be a pure pain in the bum but it should work, ill maybe add that info later. Or work on a way to flash a ROM from stock recovery....

Credit to
zhuowei @ http://zhuoweizhang.net/ for Arctic.apk
Chainfire for SU

Recovery Mod

• Root needed first!
  • And something like ROM Toolbox for all the various apps needed
  • Install the android SDK on your computer, you will need to add the google usb drivers, you will find them in the "extras"
  • Enable usb debug on the arc and install the generic google adb usb drivers
  • Plug in the device and let it install drivers, it WILL fail one device, manually install drivers for the failed "arc" device that's highlighted with an error, click on it and update the driver, browse, let me pick my own, show all devices, click next and have disc. Click browse and navigate to your android SDK>extras>google USB driver, for the correct drivers, select "ADB interface"
  • Delete or rename the file on the device located at /etc/install-recover.sh this will make the custom recovery persistent
  • Copy the recovery.img to the SDCard, either by using drag and drop in windows ( to root of "internal storage") or by adb push "adb push recovery.img /sdcard/

• The next job is to open up a command window on your computer and navigate to adb folder, SDK>platform-tools. Type the following exactly, even better copy and paste them!

adb shell
    su
    cat /sdcard/recovery.img > /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery

exit adb shell (ctrl+C) and type

adb reboot recovery

and bobs your uncle, one happy new recovery

Original ROM files

recovery Recovery
xloader Xloader
system System
misc Misc
logos Logos
crypto Crypto
cache Cache
bootlogo Bootlogo
bootloader Bootloader
boot Boot
efs Efs

Custom ROM files

Credit to
Me for recovery mod

Attachments

• Arctic.zip
    905.5 KB · Views: 2,490
  • recovery.img
    6 MB · Views: 2,714
Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Kobo Arc 7

Root

• Fully setup device
  • Download impactor on PC from http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/
  • Download android SDK on PC, from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
  • Run SDK manager and acquire the google USB drivers
  • Enable dev mode on device by going to settings, about kobo, and tap build number 7 times
  • Enable USB debug mode in developer options
  • Enable unknown sources in security options
  • Plug in device and let it install a USB composite device and a arc 7hd drive, it will fail on the third, go to device manager, and manually install drivers for the "arc" device that's highlighted with an error.
    Click on it and update the driver, browse, let me pick my own, show all devices, click next, have disc. click browse and navigate to your android SDK>extras>google usb driver\android_winusb.inf, for the correct drivers, select ADB interface
  • Run the impactor program downloaded earlier, once loaded, click on start
    Check your device screen, you should see an error message, click on decline then decline again and finally decline again, (not sure that makes any difference)
  • Go to the market place and download SU by Chainfire
EDIT: Impactor was updated which will now make the above work

Credit to
http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ for the rooting tool
Chainfire for SU
howlinwolf430 for trying the unlock with the new impactor available above

Recovery Mod

howlinwolf430 has a working Recovery img up and running, tests continue but we look forward to seeing this soon!

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Kobo Arc 7HD

Root

• Fully setup device
  • Enable dev mode on device by going to settings, about kobo, and tap build number 7 times
  • Plug in device and let it install a USB composite device and a arc 7hd drive, it will fail on the third, go to device manager, and manually install drivers for the "arc" device that's highlighted with an error.
    Click on it and update the driver, browse, let me pick my own, show all devices, click next, have disc. click browse and navigate to your android SDK>extras>google usb driver, for the correct drivers, select ADB interface
    Check your device screen, you should see an error message, click on decline then decline again and finally decline again, (not sure that makes any difference)
Credit to
Chainfire for SU

Recovery Mod

• Ensure SU is working and you can get SU access with adb shell
  • download the recovery.img attached in to your adb folder
  • with the device connected to computer type the following
  • adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
  • adb shell
  • su
  • dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
  • ctrl-c
  • adb reboot recovery
  • Make sure you allow recovery to make changes when prompted or it will automatically revert to stock recovery
Kobo 7HD notes

Fastboot and Bootloader modes are ONLY available via adb/fastboot commands, there are NO hardware button combos.

• adb reboot bootloader / fastboot reboot-bootloader
  • adb reboot recovery / fastboot reboot recovery

Recovery can be accessed by turning off the device, holding down "VOL DOWN" and turning on, keep VOL DOWN pressed until booted

APX mode can be accessed by plugging in a USB cable connected to a computer, turning off the device, holding down "VOL UP" and turning on, keep VOL UP pressed until booted, note that the screen remains BLACK and as far as I have worked out it is completely useless without certain files we do not have access to.

Attachments

• recovery.img
    6.5 MB · Views: 2,333
Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Kobo Arc 10HD

Root

• Fully setup device
    Click on it and update the driver, browse, let me pick my own, show all devices, click next, have disc. click browse and navigate to your android SDK>extras>google usb driver, for the correct drivers, select ADB interface
Chainfire for SU

Recovery Mod

• adb shell
  • su
  • ctrl-c
  • adb reboot recovery
  • Make sure you allow recovery to make changes when prompted or it will automatically revert to stock recovery
Kobo 10HD notes

Fastboot and Bootloader modes are ONLY available via adb/fastboot commands, there are NO hardware button combos.

Recovery can be accessed by turning off the device, holding down "VOL DOWN" and turning on, keep VOL DOWN pressed until booted

APX mode can be accessed by plugging in a USB cable connected to a computer, turning off the device, holding down "VOL UP" and turning on, keep VOL UP pressed until booted, note that the screen remains BLACK and as far as I have worked out it is completely useless without certain files we do not have access to.

EDIT: 16th Feb 2014

Arc 10HD received an OTA update "update-ota832-ota932.zip" around the 10th of Feb. Initial look in to this suggests not only are there some system updates the but the bootloader is updated too, its only about 17MB

Attachments

• recovery.img
    7 MB · Views: 2,448
Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Edit 6
10HD received a OTA update

Edit 5

thanks to howlinwolf430 Arc 7 now has root, I need to confirm this and the method but I believe the new impactor has added another vulnerability that allows ROOT Thus the guide for the 7HD and the 7 is the same

Edit 4
Recovery img is now complete for the Arc 10HD and 7HD! There are some small configuration changes needed to fix some mounting issues but it backs up and restores just fine

Edit 3
Source code now available for all arcs, git for everything available https://github.com/dazza9075
Recovery Roms for Arc 7HD and 10HD almost complete, just testing to see if it restores correctly

Edit 2
Please note, the Arctic patch for the original arc may no longer work after a recent update
Bootloaders on the 7HD and 10HD appear to be unlocked.

Edit 1
Development on the Arc 7 has stagnated and I no longer have one to directly play with although I do have access if need be.

Sent from my arc 10HD using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Support needed!

Hi everyone, if your reading this and have some experience in building custom ROMs for unsupported devices and wish to give us a guiding hand please jump on board and help where you can. We currently have working custom recovery's on all devices ( Arc 7 needing a little bit of testing ) but we are needing some support for the next steps!

Many thanks!

kayge

Dec 22, 2008
Arctic,apk

I have ordered a Kobo Arc online. Any idea if the Arctic.apk does or does not work on them with the system update. Just looking for confirmation

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Nice work...I hope it won't remain an isolated effort

@dazza9075: I just ordered the Arc 10HD - can I safely update the software once I get it and root it AFTER? I didn't see any notes indicating otherwise, but I know from my other Android devices that usually the root/recovery methods are tied to a specific version.

Note I don't even know yet if it will require an update - I'm super-new to the Kobo ecosystem.

BTW: thanks for the work done - I never use an Android phone/tablet/media device that does not have root access and a recovery mechanism to save the day.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I have ordered a Kobo Arc online. Any idea if the Arctic.apk does or does not work on them with the system update. Just looking for confirmation

after the most recent and probably last system update it is disabled. I stopped my arc from updating so cant confirm without a full reset but the original author of the arctic apk has said it no longer works, I cant see any reason for him to lie.

@dazza9075: I just ordered the Arc 10HD - can I safely update the software once I get it and root it AFTER? I didn't see any notes indicating otherwise, but I know from my other Android devices that usually the root/recovery methods are tied to a specific version.

Note I don't even know yet if it will require an update - I'm super-new to the Kobo ecosystem.

BTW: thanks for the work done - I never use an Android phone/tablet/media device that does not have root access and a recovery mechanism to save the day.

ok, Kobo will do a system update as soon as you turn the thing on, you cant even get around that (although some fiddling with fiddler might fool it if we can ID what is going on). however, to date there hasn't been an update that disables it. and if there was we can simply flash my stock ROMs which already have root and are flashable.

what we are lacking however is a custom ROM for any of the arcs. More importantly than that we are lacking people to help us!

Reactions: Ipse_Tase

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Weird, I could not install the ADB drivers from the SDK (Win 7 64-bit Enterprise). Had to use my trusted Nexus Root Toolkit and worked fine with that.
I'm liking it so far....appreciate your work to document the rooting procedure.
Let's hope development will pick up at some point, it's a good device (I have the ARC 10HD - got it on sale + coupon in Canada).

Reactions: alanbrenton

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Been meaning to ask: have any of you guys found a good screen protector for the Arc 10HD?
I realize this is off topic (sorry OP) but I feel there is ZERO chances I would get an answer elsewhere than in this thread - the only valuable one on XDA re Kobo.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Been meaning to ask: have any of you guys found a good screen protector for the Arc 10HD?
I realize this is off topic (sorry OP) but I feel there is ZERO chances I would get an answer elsewhere than in this thread - the only valuable one on XDA re Kobo.

Actually I don't, I have a leather case for mine that acts as a stand and protector,i don't sell them either but I suspect that will change soon

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Weird, I could not install the ADB drivers from the SDK (Win 7 64-bit Enterprise). Had to use my trusted Nexus Root Toolkit and worked fine with that.
I'm liking it so far....appreciate your work to document the rooting procedure.
Let's hope development will pick up at some point, it's a good device (I have the ARC 10HD - got it on sale + coupon in Canada).

Bazaar, I thought they were the same drivers, well I'm glad it worked eventually, if you or anyone else wants to help with dev you could try searching if there are other devices with the same SoC , we are looking for same gpu/CPU combo that already has a working custom ROM.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yep...I am looking in the Transformer TF-701t forums. I'm not on the software side of Hi Tech, so I'll have to do some reading as I am as frustrated as you with the lack of interest in this platform.

BTW: you may want to add to your tutorial that after booting in Recovery for the first time, the user should accept to make boot.img changes - as otherwise all the frequent updates will wipe the recovery you installed. I was too quick to reboot and now I have to push recovery again.
Or if you think this is not safe to make permanent (I did it on every other Android device I own) maybe that should be stated too. People might want to get OTA updates and it is my understanding that with a custom recovery you won't be getting them. Hell, I'm still hoping we will get a stock KitKat at some point.

Thanks...for being the only one that cares :D

PS. From what I read about Netflix (big user....I "cut the cord" a year ago) it seems we need 4.3 for Netflix to run in HD (DRM ****). All I can say is that I don't get HD now - so it seems true.
One good reason to hope for a Kobo upgrade. I am already plagued with Ouya being stuck at 4.1.2

Last edited:

JoshReuben

Jul 10, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Google Pixel 6
Very surprised at the pack of interest in the Kobo tablets, given the impressive combination of awesome specs and very low price. Have an Arc 7 32gb and an Arc 7 16gb in the family and gathering my forces to root em both.

I've read the forum but am a bit thick. Bottomline, are the root guides here conformed working on the latest updates since November 2013?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Very surprised at the pack of interest in the Kobo tablets, given the impressive combination of awesome specs and very low price. Have an Arc 7 32gb and an Arc 7 16gb in the family and gathering my forces to root em both.

I've read the forum but am a bit thick. Bottomline, are the root guides here conformed working on the latest updates since November 2013?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Should work fine, they updated the bootloader a couple of days ago on the 10HD but nothing appears to have changed, some system updates, some app updates, not a lot else from first impression

I just rooted my ARC 10HD 2 days ago, AFTER it got the last update (something one cannot prevent when setting it up for the first time).

it updated the other day. ive been away for a bit so cant be sure when.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Kobo contact

I could not find a way to send an email to Kobo support or get in touch with someone in this company. As a legitimate user I have a legitimate question for them: what are the plans moving forward with software upgrades?
They don't seem to realize that part of the problem of not selling more devices is also the complete lack of communication (including advertising) from this company.
Mind blowing...

That being said, I love my Arc 10HD and seeing how much better my old Xoom is with KitKat, I can only imagine what it would mean for the Kobo family.

PS. I ended up buying this screen protector:
http://www.illumishieldstore.com/iL...e-Anti-Fingerprint-Replacements/dp/B00F6FJHNU

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I could not find a way to send an email to Kobo support or get in touch with someone in this company. As a legitimate user I have a legitimate question for them: what are the plans moving forward with software upgrades?
They don't seem to realize that part of the problem of not selling more devices is also the complete lack of communication (including advertising) from this company.
Mind blowing...

That being said, I love my Arc 10HD and seeing how much better my old Xoom is with KitKat, I can only imagine what it would mean for the Kobo family.

PS. I ended up buying this screen protector:
http://www.illumishieldstore.com/iL...e-Anti-Fingerprint-Replacements/dp/B00F6FJHNU

Ask your question at http://kobo.frontlinesvc.com/app/ask

They are usually pretty quick to get back to you, as for upgrades, I've not heard any news of anything so really don't know what the official line is, I've not heard any news on new devices either so we may get at least one supported is upgrade. Ideally though we need to nail our own ROM to be sure

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kobo
    Arc, Arc 7, Arc 7HD and Arc 10HD

With the release of not 1 but 3 new devices from Kobo and no specific device forum I thought it time we consolidated any and all root / development available information on them under one roof. All credit for others work will be acknowledged if known.

If anyone has any info they feel should be added please post it and ill add it
    The following devices and development status are list below

Kobo Arc - Root + recovery (POSSIBLE PROBLEM WITH NEW SYSTEM UPDATE, Arctic may no longer work)
    Kobo Arc 7 - Root
    Kobo Arc 7HD - Root + recovery
    Kobo Arc 10HD - Root + recovery

Please support development on these projects, sign up to XDA and join in, we need all the help that we can get!
    Kobo Arc 10HD

Root

• Fully setup device
    Chainfire for SU

Recovery Mod

• adb shell
    • su
    • ctrl-c
    • adb reboot recovery
    Kobo 10HD notes

EDIT: 16th Feb 2014

Arc 10HD received an OTA update "update-ota832-ota932.zip" around the 10th of Feb. Initial look in to this suggests not only are there some system updates the but the bootloader is updated too, its only about 17MB
    update: 10HD, flashable zips, bug fixes, other info

hi everyone, there is a new update for the 10hd, fixing some significant problems, will be the last big update for a while. I'll be taking a break.

download area
    Kobo Arc 10HD
    Kobo Arc 10HD Downloads
    current revision: cm-12.1-20160624-UNOFFICIAL-macallan

important notes
    • Any and all updates to the rom from this point onward have to be flashed through TWRP recovery, and not fastboot!
    • Those who may be flashing for the first time have to flash the custom recovery first before flashing any zip. You can get to fastboot through android apps, or the adb command, you can also follow dazza9075's guide to flashing a recovery. Make sure the recovery is working, because if the boot gets borked and the recovery gets borked, then you're bricked.
    • the computer command;
      Code:
      fastboot boot cm-kobo-10hd-twrp-3.0.2-0-r1.img
      lets you test any bootable image without flashing, this is very useful.
    • also it is a must if you are coming from stock kobo that you factory reset, so backup your stock rom.
    notable system fixes
    • graphics fixed completely (no more artefacts in recent menu or games, better performance).
    • codecs streamlined for better hardware playback (up to 1440p quality youtube, etc).
    • device name fixed for slightly better google play compatibility (might investigate this some more later).
    • drm seems to be running now (netflix people will have to test to see if this is working).
    • opensource tegra power hal module to stabilize performance
    notable kernel changes
    • lz4 support (relaxed boot compression, faster boot up)
    • network interface fixes for android 5+
    • cpufreq interactive controller updated for android 5+
    • tegra cores are running at 2.1 ghz, under stock thermal limits
    • bfq/fiops schedulers for those who are into those sort of things
    • uksm (same page merging) enable if 2gb ram is not enough
    helpful links from earlier in the thread
    flashing recovery (dazza9075)
    github links
    old installation guide (still applies for recovery installation)
    Kobo Arc 7HD

Root

• Fully setup device
    Credit to
    Chainfire for SU

Recovery Mod

• adb shell
    • su
    • ctrl-c
    • adb reboot recovery
    Kobo 7HD notes

New build available — Kobo Arc 10HD

KOBO ARC 10HD
    Current Revision: cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-macallan
    Kobo Arc 10HD Downloads

Current Revision Changes
    • Out of gpu memory scenario fixed, which prevents the chance of a system freeze.
    • Power HAL has now taken control over the 2d and 3d gpu, so there should be better performance.
    • USB audio now fixed, as it should initialize properly.
    Current Issues List
    • Smart Cover (when covered screen does not turn off, this code is well hidden)
    • Notification lights (currently disabled, reverse engineering when I have time)
    • Camera app force closing on picture snap (some incompatibilities, try other camera apps for now)
    • Possible Bluetooth audio stuttering on some devices (may implement the solution into power HAL)
      [*]System UI freeze on specific and peculiar actions in some apps (Out of Memory)
      [*]Storage issue crashing some apps (fixed)
    USEFUL LINKS
    Revision: cm-12.1-20160624-UNOFFICIAL-macallan
    Flashing Recovery (dazza9075)
    Github Links
    Old installation guide (still applies for recovery installation)

2. GFXBench GL would not run the Render Quality test, and hangs the tablet altogether. Starting up GFXBench GL again would show "OUT_OF_MEMORY" next to the Render Quality test result.

Thank you so much for this! I was able to discover that the memory queues set by kobo are not in line with what is necessary for certain graphical demands, this also fixes any possible freezing issue in other applications. As for Geekbench, that is a fundamental issue that may be explored later. You can flash r3 of the kernel, or the new system build to test that gfxbench gl works.

Hopefully @ Teleferic can bake in a build prop edit in the next release.(Spoofing it as a Nexus 9 should do)

Good idea! I usually spoof as a nexus 9/10. I'll make this into a zip people can flash to identify as another device before they register on google play. That way the device name is untouched in the build configuration, as some people might want to identify as a kobo arc.