[APP] z4root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
G

gpnda

hey hey ,

welcome back RyanZa. Does this interfere with lagfix kernels?

JP0811

Nov 7, 2010
Hey Ryan,

Just tried this on my Unbranded Samsung Galaxy S I9000, and it worked!

Thank you :D

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Ryan,
Just thought of another question sorry....
What happens if after running the application you then uninstall.
In other words, do you need it on your system afterwards?

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
hey hey ,

welcome back RyanZa. Does this interfere with lagfix kernels?

Shouldn't interfere with anything. But if you have a lagfix kernel, surely you already have root? :D

Ryan,
Just thought of another question sorry....
What happens if after running the application you then uninstall.
In other words, do you need it on your system afterwards?

No, you don't. You can remove it after you root.

Chronos12

Sep 22, 2010
At the moment very good news.

I have the official Froyo - Germany ( I9000 ) and rooted the Z4.

1. Z4 rooted
2. Installed EXT2
3. Restore Boot Animation
4. Lag Fix 1+
5. It was like a charm

The another root like Voodoo, SuperOneClick etc didn't helped and it made the EXT2 failure ( not only EXT2 it made my phone slow and other problems ) and can't uninstall EXT2. But Z4 can.

Now back.

1. Unistalled Lag Fix 1+
2. Uninstalled EXT2 ( no problems )
3. It was like a charm

That was now. I will see if there is any problem.

jehan1

Jul 16, 2010
Will this interfere with possible official updates released on KIES? (asking so i don't void my warranty)

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Will this interfere with possible official updates released on KIES? (asking so i don't void my warranty)

No.

No clue about warranties or anything though, sorry. Removing the root files (I'll add unroot to the app soon...) should make it impossible to tell if the device was ever rooted though.

TBH though, the people working at service centers are just not that clued up, and probably have a hard time working out which Samsung you are trying to take in for repair, let alone knowing what a root is. So unless it is specifically mentioned on a checklist they need to complete for each device (unlikely?), they're not going to care.

Tyxerakias

Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
Thanks a lot RyanZA, this is awesome. Since you're around, 4 simple questions...
is busybox installed in xbin or bin? Which version is it? Is superuser installed in data or system? And what is the lib for? I'm asking the last question because I rooted with the same method manually, but didn't see that anywhere.

Thanks again for all your work!

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Thanks a lot RyanZA, this is awesome. Since you're around, 4 simple questions...
is busybox installed in xbin or bin? Which version is it? Is superuser installed in data or system? And what is the lib for? I'm asking the last question because I rooted with the same method manually, but didn't see that anywhere.

Thanks again for all your work!

Current version copies busybox and su to bin, but the next version will copy them both to xbin and make symlinks in /bin to the binaries, as well as using busybox install to create all of the correct symlinks in xbin as well.

I went with the same versions of su, superuser and busybox as the other popular roots to try and keep it consistent. Busybox version 1.17.2. If you have a recommendation for versions to use, I'd appreciate it. Compatibility with common root using applications is the main priority though. :)

The lib is used to create a direct terminal using C code (JNI), as java's runtime does not allow the app to hook into the rooted /system/bin/sh :)

reiteravi

Feb 14, 2007
now this is a sleek one
the cleanest way - wont make compatibility issues
wonder if it was a download in rom manager so once downloaded
u can root painlessly your way to cwm
of course this is yours to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
    Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
    Backflip
    Sony X10
    Xperia Mini
    Droid 2
    Galaxy Tab
    Galaxy I5700
    Galaxy 3 I5800
    Droid X
    Samsung Acclaim
    Cricket Huawei Ascend
    Motorola Cliq
    Huawei 8120
    Hero
    G1
    Optimus T
    Droid 1
    Garmin Asus A50
    Motorola Defy
    LG Ally
    Motorola Flipside
    Motorola Milestone 2
    Dell streak
    X10 Mini Pro
    Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
    Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
    Magic (unknown)
    Evo (requires nand unlock)
    G2 (requires nand unlock)
    Archos 70 (unknown)
    myTouch 3G (unknown)
    Wildfire
    Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
    V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
    V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
    V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
    V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
    V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    if it works i expect it will be blocked with the next android update as usual
    will test on my girlfriends i5800 as soon as it´s back from service, its there for pin request issue...
    Thanks !!!
    This is great news !!!