Update to ICS available this morning

Search This thread

locn

Apr 19, 2010
Gold Coast
ICS update in Australia!

Hi Everyone

I went away for a few days then came home and noticed an update for my tab it was the incremental 17mb one so I updated it then rebooted and thought what the heck i'll check to see if I have another update and sure enough it was 188mb and now i'm running on 4.0.3! woohoo!

I originally bought mine in the USA from best buy while i was over there for business. It was a gen 2 but i changed it to gen 1 to get HC 3.2.1.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but now i am back home in australia but still got the update.

Also i've noticed that while generally it is much nicer overall i am experiencing some lags - more like delays every now and then. When i close an app it will sit there for a little while then it will close. Also i noticed that pulse takes a lot longer to open again a freeze when i open the app.

I have only restarted it 2 times since the update so not sure if it makes any difference but am going to restart it a few more times to see if the freeze goes away.

Cheers!

MrCubbins

Sep 26, 2010
Montreal
Still no update for 3.2.1 EMEA_GB ROM here in Quebec either. It looks like those of us who are on this revision of the tablet will have to wait until the officially announced 3rd May :( All those who have got the update thus far would appear to be on GEN1 revisions.

Don't want to change it to a GEN1 ROM (with Zeronull leak) yet as I still have 9 months left on my warranty. Will be content with a rooted EMEA_GB unless Acer release the source and then the modding options will really get interesting :)

Can anyone who has updated purely OTA confirm that they are still able to root and unlock the bootloader?

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Still no update for 3.2.1 EMEA_GB ROM here in Quebec either. It looks like those of us who are on this revision of the tablet will have to wait until the officially announced 3rd May :( All those who have got the update thus far would appear to be on GEN1 revisions.

Don't want to change it to a GEN1 ROM (with Zeronull leak) yet as I still have 9 months left on my warranty. Will be content with a rooted EMEA_GB unless Acer release the source and then the modding options will really get interesting :)

Can anyone who has updated purely OTA confirm that they are still able to root and unlock the bootloader?

MrCubbins, I have actually applied the GEN1 updates in the and went back to EMEA_GB (with a bunch of DD commands, from a DD backup I took a while back) and noticed the GEN1 firwmare would every-so-often crash my tab, usually if it wasn't used for a while. (over 6 or 8 hours) it would blink as if it was on, but when I hit the power switch it wouldn't come back.

I'm waiting for the official OTA, maybe the hardware is tied to the software more so than we know...

noeybou

Feb 15, 2009
I'm in Taiwan, home of Acer, and still waiting for the official OTA update...

It sucks that Acer haven't give any information on when we will get the update here in taiwan. Called the Rep and got told that we will get it between April and June. sigh...

C'mon Acer, where's the love?!

locn

Apr 19, 2010
Gold Coast
MrCubbins, I have actually applied the GEN1 updates in the and went back to EMEA_GB (with a bunch of DD commands, from a DD backup I took a while back) and noticed the GEN1 firwmare would every-so-often crash my tab, usually if it wasn't used for a while. (over 6 or 8 hours) it would blink as if it was on, but when I hit the power switch it wouldn't come back.

I changed also changed from gen2 back to gen1 but on HC i had no issues at all. Everything worked perfect it was fast and stable for me.

Yesterday was the first time i have ever had to use the hard reset button but that was on ICS.

ICS looks and feels very polished and for me when its running it runs very smooth but as i mentioned earlier i have still have these delays where it just seems to freeze every now and then when switching between apps.

Also when i use Pulse newsreader in between going to the original article it kind of flickers not sure how to explain it but it never use to happen on HC. Most likely an app thing though as it seems to be the only app that does it.

trondot

Apr 26, 2012
Received update in Indiana this morning. Had to search for update for the 2nd download.

Build Acer_AV041_A100_1.015.00_PA_CUS1
Kernel 2.6.39.4+
Version 4.0.3

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
Checked and got mine this morning. Had to downgrade from the RC03 version I was running back to HC 2007.01 but did all the required upgrades (2) before I got the notice to update to ICS. Located in Ottawa.

daraldf

Apr 26, 2012
Elsmere
I'm becoming obsessed checking my A100 for the update every couple of hours. I live in KY. Oh well, maybe if I check again, it will finally be there. :p

Darald

cheeb

Dec 17, 2006
.......................is there a reason why some of you don't just install the 014 stock rom from the dev section? It's the same rom as the ota....

hahne

Jan 18, 2012
Is OTA ICS upgrade the same as the last beta?

I have 2 A100 tablets. On one I have been running the leaked betas of ICS and on the other I have been running stock 3.21. A couple of days ago I received the notice to do the OTA upgrade to ICS on the Honeycomb tablet. Much to my surprise, when the update was done, it showed the same version as the leaked beta: The Image version is Acer_AV041_A100_RV01RC03_WW_GEN1. This looks like a "release candidate" beta to me, not a final version of the operating system.

This sounds like Acer is sending out a late beta on the air. They appear to still be polishing ICS and I suspect we can expect other minor revisions, hopefully soon. Since ICS locks up much more than Honecomb and runs slower for many tasks, I hope they will continue to polish it.

isketerol

Feb 27, 2012
RC does not necessarily mean Release Candidate

It's a pretty big jump to assume that RC necessarily means "Release Candidate". The label that they used for the build has meaning only internally to Acer.

I have installed all of the leaked builds including the final one from ZeroNull. I have to say there is progressive improvement in reliability and usability.

I did find that you do need to do a factory reset after installing the upgrade from HoneyComb. If you don't, the upgrade does not clean out remnants of HC and you will have issues.

.Gibson.

Mar 24, 2012
Chicago
It's a pretty big jump to assume that RC necessarily means "Release Candidate". The label that they used for the build has meaning only internally to Acer.

I have installed all of the leaked builds including the final one from ZeroNull. I have to say there is progressive improvement in reliability and usability.

I did find that you do need to do a factory reset after installing the upgrade from HoneyComb. If you don't, the upgrade does not clean out remnants of HC and you will have issues.

I have been wondering the same thing. I do not see how people just assume that means Release Candidate 3. I have yet to see any Beta or Alpha in the build string. Plus, I have never seen anyone use RC03 when referring to RC3. I believe it is just an assumption with no basis that is floating around.

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
I see. Did you used one of the stock HC roms available here in the forums? Thanks.

Yes, I was using the stock roms from the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1544486

.......................is there a reason why some of you don't just install the 014 stock rom from the dev section? It's the same rom as the ota....

If you mean from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1611696 I did but I wanted to ensure that I had the official OTA since I may have to send this unit back to Acer for repair, it doesn't always detect an SD card when inserted and I have to eject and reinsert a few times.

Reactions: dansul

Cooper 5150

Dec 25, 2011
linden
question

Has anyone received the update while being stock rooted only with 3.2? I am rooted and I want to make sure that I can still get it and if not I will flash other version, couldn't hurt to see. Let me know please thanks peoples!

Coop

Top Liked Posts