My experience with Samsung service (KNOX, root & warranty)

Search This thread

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello all!

I decided to start this thread to share my recent experience with the Samsung service centre.

I live in the UK and last November I got a P600 16GB Note 10.1 2014. I was using it mainly for taking notes at university with Lecture Notes and for keeping the girl I babysit busy with a couple of games. During one of those babysitting sessions, the tablet fell on the floor. When I picked it up the screen had two dark patches on the left side but it was still working fine. I decided to reboot and unfortunately the screen never came on again. I could still hear the touch sounds, so I know the digitiser was intact, but the screen was not lit up. Furthermore, one of the hinges of the back cover seemed to have broken, as there was a visible gap between the bezel and the cover.
Firmware-wise, the phone was rooted, with the KNOX flag tripped, running a Colombian 4.4.2 firmware. Even the build.prop was modified to show the tablet as a Note Pro in order to get the fancy recent apps screen.

At this point, you may all think that I was screwed in terms of warranty, right? Well, those were my thoughts exactly! Nevertheless, I decided to send it to the service centre, as, for free or not, I wanted it fixed. I filed the service request online and only mentioned that I saw the dark spots and that the screen stopped lighting up. I did not mention the fall nor the rooting of course, although I was fairly certain that evidence of both was hard to miss.

To my great surprise, the tablet was fixed completely free of charge and returned to me by mail 17 days later! :)

Let the record show that I do not mean to say that rooting and tripping KNOX does not void your warranty. It just didn't in my case. And maybe, just maybe, each service centre have their own way of handling things like these.

Cheers!

iR¡D@k!* from i9505 via Tapatalk 4

Reactions: 7786 and benni_1994

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
There are quite a few posts across the various Samsung forums like yours where warranty repairs were provided on rooted KNOX tripped devices. In fact, I've never seen a post where Samsung denied warranty coverage for a "non-official" device when the problem itself was unrelated (EG: bad headphone jack, dead display). You lucked out because dropping your tablet and causing it to malfunction is pretty clearly not a warranty covered repair.

Here's Samsung's official definition of what the KNOX warranty bit is for and how it works. That it universally and completely voids a device's warranty when tripped is mostly XDA folklore.

By Peng Ning, VP, Samsung Enterprise Security Group, on Wed, 12/04/2013

When it comes to rooting, there have been some questions regarding Samsung’s KNOX-enabled devices and if they can, or should, be rooted at all. We do not recommend that you root your device, since it can cause software problems, cause your device to operate improperly (for example, overheat), and as a result void your warranty.

To further illustrate how this works, the “KNOX Warranty Void” bit (or simply KNOX bit) is used to detect if a non-KNOX kernel has been loaded on the device. It is a one-time programmable bit in e-fuse, which can only be turned from “0” to “1” (i.e. burned). If a non-KNOX boot loader or kernel has been put on the device, KNOX can no longer guarantee the security of the KNOX container. As a result, this KNOX bit will be burned to “1”, indicating that this device can no longer use the KNOX container service.

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog...ox-enabled-devices-and-knox-warranty-void-bit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

I decided to start this thread to share my recent experience with the Samsung service centre.

I live in the UK and last November I got a P600 16GB Note 10.1 2014. I was using it mainly for taking notes at university with Lecture Notes and for keeping the girl I babysit busy with a couple of games. During one of those babysitting sessions, the tablet fell on the floor. When I picked it up the screen had two dark patches on the left side but it was still working fine. I decided to reboot and unfortunately the screen never came on again. I could still hear the touch sounds, so I know the digitiser was intact, but the screen was not lit up. Furthermore, one of the hinges of the back cover seemed to have broken, as there was a visible gap between the bezel and the cover.
    Firmware-wise, the phone was rooted, with the KNOX flag tripped, running a Colombian 4.4.2 firmware. Even the build.prop was modified to show the tablet as a Note Pro in order to get the fancy recent apps screen.

At this point, you may all think that I was screwed in terms of warranty, right? Well, those were my thoughts exactly! Nevertheless, I decided to send it to the service centre, as, for free or not, I wanted it fixed. I filed the service request online and only mentioned that I saw the dark spots and that the screen stopped lighting up. I did not mention the fall nor the rooting of course, although I was fairly certain that evidence of both was hard to miss.

To my great surprise, the tablet was fixed completely free of charge and returned to me by mail 17 days later! :)

Let the record show that I do not mean to say that rooting and tripping KNOX does not void your warranty. It just didn't in my case. And maybe, just maybe, each service centre have their own way of handling things like these.

Cheers!

iR¡D@k!* from i9505 via Tapatalk 4