[Q] Major problems with Sensation screen

Search This thread

balders27

Feb 23, 2009
Having problems with the touch screen on my sensation and this has now happened on my secound phone! both phones were ok out of box but after a few days first noticed problems from lockscreen as phone would not always unlock when draging app icon into circle then slowly geting worse until would take several swips on screen to even unlock! then started noticing similar problems in norm opperation? sometimes works ok but some times freezes up have tried factory reset and no differance. very strange having this problem on two phones?

familyhousing

Aug 21, 2008
I've noticed that the proximity sensor and gyroscope are being used aggressively to filter accidental screen presses.
For example, if I place my sensation flat on a table, the lock screen is very hard to unlock. If i place my other hand near the proximity sensor at the same time (or tilt the phone towards me) it unlocks easily. Until I identified this functionality I was beginning to think my right index finger was unsuitable for touch screens (since when placed on a table I tend to use my right hand, but otherwise use my left to unlock).
Hopefully this will be tweaked with future updates.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Kurisu87

Jun 5, 2011
Scotland
I am having the exact same problem, for example on the lock screen I would swipe up but the ring will move slightly, and one icon I.e the camera icon will move towards the ring, another grip which is buggin me is that it will miss screen taps, I.e when texting or clicking an icon one tap will go unnoticed by the device resulting in either a missed letter, or the app not opening. This also goes for the 4 command buttons at the bottom, it happens on these too. I also get the occasional lock up.

Factory reset did not work

Reactions: bcpk

Kurisu87

Jun 5, 2011
Scotland
I am currently using launcher pro, but even using the htc stock launcher the problem still arises. When I did a factory reset, the problem was still apparent when entering my pin number for the first time.

familyhousing

Aug 21, 2008
I am having the exact same problem, for example on the lock screen I would swipe up but the ring will move slightly, and one icon I.e the camera icon will move towards the ring, another grip which is buggin me is that it will miss screen taps, I.e when texting or clicking an icon one tap will go unnoticed by the device resulting in either a missed letter, or the app not opening. This also goes for the 4 command buttons at the bottom, it happens on these too. I also get the occasional lock up.

As I stated before, I experience this problem but it only occurs when the phone is laid flat and my hands are well away from the proximity sensor at the top left of the screen. I can say that the part you are describing with the lock screen is 100% the same problem I come across in certain situations.

Please test to see if the problem is still present when the phone is tilted in your hand and, if you are laying the phone flat when you experience the problem, try putting your other hand near the proximity sensor when you try to unlock.

If this happens as I describe then it is most likely a software bug which only affects users who have particular phone use habits.

Saying that, as you are having quite severe symptoms, during general use, it may be that you have a faulty proximity sensor in your phone - leading to missed screen taps when the phone thinks you are not touching the phone.

Kurisu87

Jun 5, 2011
Scotland
Well I laid the phone flat and unlocked it no less than 20 times, each worked flawlessly no problems at all..... Seems to have me baffled

wouwout

Aug 18, 2009
Sydney, AU
Yes I've been having the same problem. First noticed it when trying to unlock it (phone was lying down), couldn't get the circle to move. Have had one complete touch-freeze. No input possible, however volume and power button worked. Took the battery out, restarted, and it worked fine.

I notice that input can be difficult sometimes, hit and miss or just have to push harder. Strange. Seems like a software issue to me.

edit: just had the same issue - circle wouldn't move. After picking the phone up I was able to unlock it, however still not as easy as it should be, a bit jerky.

Last edited:

aim1126

Nov 9, 2009
Both my evo and my g2 had a grounding issue, for example if I had the phone laying down on the couch or bed, the screen would not respond to touch but if touch the phone with a finger and try to unlock it with my other hand it would work normally. So it seems to be a common problem with some HTC devices

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Reactions: bcpk

giorgisp

Mar 1, 2010
Athens, Greece
Both my evo and my g2 had a grounding issue, for example if I had the phone laying down on the couch or bed, the screen would not respond to touch but if touch the phone with a finger and try to unlock it with my other hand it would work normally. So it seems to be a common problem with some HTC devices

The wildfire (my friend's got one) has this problem too. You have to keep touching the metallic housing for it to detect any taps.

familyhousing

Aug 21, 2008
You are correct, aim1126. I never considered grounding to be the cause but after re-testing it clearly is.

I guess it is a side effect of having a conductive unibody. So basically there will be no software fix, we just have to keep constant contact between our hands and the unibody. I wonder whether a rubber bumper would actually make this problem worse?

Edit:

Actually, the screen seems to adapt to not being grounded properly after a couple of presses. It works fine for me by the third time I touch the screen - weird. Well at least it is only a minor annoyance!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Last edited:

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL

My wife uses a G2 and I wouldnt call it a grounding "issue" honestly seems like more of a feature to make sure you ment to engage the screen.. Its kinda cool IMO

As far as the screen being laggy this sucks since I wanted to upgrade from my Vibrant to the Sensation.. I also am not sure its a software issue you guys are having.. I am running Sense 3.0 with gingerbread on the G2 and it is very smooth.. The option to silence a call or tirning on speaker phone by turning the phone over is neeto torpedo..

Last edited:

mr_wi

Sep 26, 2008
Brigg
I'm having the same issue, from lock screen I drag the circle up and it just stutters. After a few tries it usually works, once unlocked the touch screen appears to work fine. I'd expect the issue would continue after unlock if it was a hardware issue.

bcpk

Feb 11, 2010
I'm having the same issue, from lock screen I drag the circle up and it just stutters. After a few tries it usually works, once unlocked the touch screen appears to work fine. I'd expect the issue would continue after unlock if it was a hardware issue.

I made a video about the issue here, where you can see that the touchscreen problems do indeed persist after unlocking. Especially when typing and scrolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1BlXZQDrU

samnada

Aug 17, 2010
I made a video about the issue here, where you can see that the touchscreen problems do indeed persist after unlocking. Especially when typing and scrolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1BlXZQDrU

That's very bad. Flaky lock screen is not good, and the example of not being able to scroll through apps without it running one is a killer. There are many times when scrolling through a list of selectable items is necessary.

Are you going to exchange the phone?

Have my hopes set on the Sensation, so would really like to find out what the resolution is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's very bad. Flaky lock screen is not good, and the example of not being able to scroll through apps without it running one is a killer. There are many times when scrolling through a list of selectable items is necessary.

Are you going to exchange the phone?

Have my hopes set on the Sensation, so would really like to find out what the resolution is.

Today is a bank holiday in Ireland so I was unable to contact HTC, but I will get in touch with them tomorrow about this.
    Sensation issue

My own HTC sensation is also experiencing the problems described in this thread. It started a week after I got the phone. Unlocking the touchscreen with a soft swift motion stopped working properly and I also experience issues with typing and sometimes with browsing trough the widgets. Its the worsed when the phone is lying on a flat surface. It doesnt matter how hard, soft, fast, or slow I press or swipe, the unlockring just responds choppy. I also noticed I can't use the fast rotating carousel function on my Sensation anymore. I just can't make the carousel rotate fast enough to switch to the small spinning version.

When I hold the phone in my hand it does work better, but still with some issues described above. I've tried a soft reset and hard reset. It fixed the issue for a few days but eventually came back and this time won't go away with any reset. I'm very curious to when HTC wil come with an official message to fix the problem.
    a little off topic (no screen issues so far )want to ask if anyone else has had this problem..

sometimes when lets say i am the market (example) and i exit to the homescreen i for some reason get the HTC symbol (the screen goes white )and then it reloads to the home screen

what is that about. also i hate that silly intro music it plays when you open it, anyway to get rid of it?

yes it's happened to me .Are you using the weather live wallpaper? If so reselect it from the wallpaper menu, go into the settings menu, turn off sounds, then apply it. This will stop the sound, but I don't know what the white HTC screen is about.