[Q] HTC HERO 2.32.651.2 Root Help

Search This thread

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
PLEASE SEE BOTTOM OF OP FOR STEP BY STEP WALKTHROUGH :)

Hello Guys,

I’m a Sprint HTC Hero owner who is trying to get CM 6.1
My device has the latest OTA update 2.32.651.2

I went ahead and tried z4root which has 2 options, temporary and permanent. Went ahead and did temporary and it stated that it was rooted. Superuser shows up in my apps, so I went ahead and installed ROM manager as a youtube video said (gave a full successful walkthrough)…I open ROM Manager up and it says – You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at “/system/bin/su” or “/system/xbin/su”.

Now using Astro File Manager, I checked those directories and it wasn’t there as ROM Manager stated, but in my SD Card, I see su-2.3.1-bin-signed…

Now my question is, should I try it with permenant root?
If not, what is the recommended next step?
Should I delete/uninstall everything I have that’s related to my previous root attempt and do the following:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804296

I’m an Accounting major and a noob at this stuff…and I see people helping each other out here which is awesome, but I get confused trying to keep up with some posts where people are sent to other posts and so forth :/

Thank u in advance! Happy Holidays!

-------------------------------------------

Below is the process on a step by step basis from which i was able to complete it with the help of skndeep102. Thanks again buddy!

-Download z4root here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953
-Install and run app, press on Permenant Root
-Let it run until it says it has completed
-Once it has completed you will see the Superuser app in your drawer
-Download Rom Manager from the Market
-Open Rom Manager and press on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery at the top (give it a bit as it has to download it and then install)

I had already downloaded the CM 6.1 rom and had it on the SD card
-So i went ahead and hit reboot to recovery in ROM Manager
-Once it is in recovery, go ahead and scroll down to Nandroid and do a backup
-once you do a back up press back and reboot
-Once it starts up again head over to ROM Manager and select Install ROM from SD Card
-Look for the Rom, select it, and it asks you to Wipe Device and Cache, select both
-It reboots to recovery, select the rom and install

I hope i didnt miss a step, but thats pretty much it if i remember it correctly (spent much more time reading than actually doing, lol) Also, if there is something that isnt touched upon here just go ahead and read through as several questions were asked and answered along the way.

Hope it helps!

* Process confirmed to still be working as of 1/5/2011

Last edited:

skndeep102

Apr 22, 2010
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Hello Guys,

I went ahead and tried z4root which has 2 options, temporary and permanent. Went ahead and did temporary and it stated that it was rooted. Superuser shows up in my apps, so I went ahead and installed ROM manager as a youtube video said (gave a full successful walkthrough)…I open ROM Manager up and it says – You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at “/system/bin/su” or “/system/xbin/su”.

Now using Astro File Manager, I checked those directories and it wasn’t there as ROM Manager stated, but in my SD Card, I see su-2.3.1-bin-signed…

Should I delete/uninstall everything I have that’s related to my previous root attempt and do the following:

I’m an Accounting major and a noob at this stuff…and I see people helping each other out here which is awesome, but I get confused trying to keep up with some posts where people are sent to other posts and so forth :/

I used permanent root when I did this

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

stunya

Dec 4, 2010
i am in the same position...the recommendation to me was to RUU to an older version and then root. I am not sure how to do that, so im hoping someone has another solution.

KBizzle

Oct 30, 2008
Knoxville
I personally dont trust those one click root options. Manual root requires a little more reading but I have never had an issue that way.

You can always try the permanent option. I dont see why you wouldnt want permanent anyway. If you use the temporary, its gonna unroot you when you reset your phone.

KBizzle

Oct 30, 2008
Knoxville
RUU back to an older version just requires that you have the htc drivers installed and the ruu exe. You just double click the ruu exe and follow the instructions.

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
OK so I did the permenant root...and appearantly it worked since z4root is telling me it is and it now gives me the option to re-root and undo root...Also, when I open Rom Manager, it isn't telling me to root the phone...

However, I saw in another forum that a way to check if it is rooted is to download a terminal emulator and type in "su" after the $ ...When i do that it tells me permission denied....

What next?

skndeep102

Apr 22, 2010
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
OK so I did the permenant root...and appearantly it worked since z4root is telling me it is and it now gives me the option to re-root and undo root...Also, when I open Rom Manager, it isn't telling me to root the phone...

However, I saw in another forum that a way to check if it is rooted is to download a terminal emulator and type in "su" after the $ ...When i do that it tells me permission denied....

What next?

Just use room manager to flash clockwork mod recovery and you're done flash the rom of your choice

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
I went into ROM Manager and pressed on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it does its loading thing on the bar right ontop but it doesnt say anything...normal?

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
Just a heads up, it seems the root works, the su file is in bin and i tested out drocap2 screencapture app and gave it superuser permission. Worked perfectly...now if i could know where to get ClockworkMod Recovery as the Rom Manager I got from the market did not bring it :/

dean.d

Aug 6, 2010
Use the "un-option" and try another method. I installed a stock ruu on my phone this morning to update my prl and tried the same app. It doesn't flash everything you need like the "flash_image" file. You need that to flash a recovery. I just re-rooted my phone the same way I did back in July. Take note that I am with cellular south and all I had to do is run a batch file and oila, there I am sitting in recovery. If you want to try another "root via app" method, you can try this-->View attachment UniversalAndroot.apk .

Instructions:
Open app and root
Download Rom Manager(which you have) and flash cm recovery.

I still think it probably won't work, but you can try anyway. I think these "rooting apps" only do enough so you can use apps like "AddFree"(or whatever it is) and others like it.

EDIT: In Rom Manager, the very first tab(up at the top) should say"Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Press that one. It would ever flash for me until I went back to me nandroid.

Last edited:

da305kratos

Dec 15, 2010
Miami
Use the "un-option" and try another method. I installed a stock ruu on my phone this morning to update my prl and tried the same app. It doesn't flash everything you need like the "flash_image" file. You need that to flash a recovery. I just re-rooted my phone the same way I did back in July. Take note that I am with cellular south and all I had to do is run a batch file and oila, there I am sitting in recovery. If you want to try another "root via app" method, you can try this-->View attachment 465856 .

Instructions:
Open app and root
Download Rom Manager(which you have) and flash cm recovery.

I still think it probably won't work, but you can try anyway. I think these "rooting apps" only do enough so you can use apps like "AddFree"(or whatever it is) and others like it.

EDIT: In Rom Manager, the very first tab(up at the top) should say"Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Press that one. It would ever flash for me until I went back to me nandroid.

I see what you mean...Can anyone else pitch in on the aprt in regards to the rooting apps only doing enough for rooted apps use?

I read in another forum that I could just get the apk for ClockworkMod Recovery, install it, and then Head Over to ROM Manager and continue the process? any truth to that?

dean.d

Aug 6, 2010
I see what you mean...Can anyone else pitch in on the aprt in regards to the rooting apps only doing enough for rooted apps use? I read in another forum that I could just get the apk for ClockworkMod Recovery, install it, and then Head Over to ROM Manager and continue the process? any truth to that?

Found the same thing. Just didn't work like that for me.

Keithgordon

Just a heads up, what worked for me, once I was rooted and downloaded ROM Manager I had to install Superuser.apk, then when I tried to flash clockwork recovery I got the Superuser dialog box asking for permission, then select allow. another awesome program to help is Android Commander that you install on your PC and it provides a gui adb access but you have to have sdk and adb installed on your pc, but if you look around there is info about it available. hope this helps, wish i had more time but i was just home on my lunchbreak, good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE SEE BOTTOM OF OP FOR STEP BY STEP WALKTHROUGH :)

Hello Guys,

-------------------------------------------

Below is the process on a step by step basis from which i was able to complete it with the help of skndeep102. Thanks again buddy!

-Download z4root here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953
    -Install and run app, press on Permenant Root
    -Let it run until it says it has completed
    -Once it has completed you will see the Superuser app in your drawer
    -Download Rom Manager from the Market
    -Open Rom Manager and press on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery at the top (give it a bit as it has to download it and then install)

I had already downloaded the CM 6.1 rom and had it on the SD card
    -So i went ahead and hit reboot to recovery in ROM Manager
    -Once it is in recovery, go ahead and scroll down to Nandroid and do a backup
    -once you do a back up press back and reboot
    -Once it starts up again head over to ROM Manager and select Install ROM from SD Card
    -Look for the Rom, select it, and it asks you to Wipe Device and Cache, select both
    -It reboots to recovery, select the rom and install

I hope i didnt miss a step, but thats pretty much it if i remember it correctly (spent much more time reading than actually doing, lol) Also, if there is something that isnt touched upon here just go ahead and read through as several questions were asked and answered along the way.

Hope it helps!

* Process confirmed to still be working as of 1/5/2011
    You my friend....are a genius!

btw, the nandroid backup- whats the point behind the backup and what would it let me do from that backup?

It will back up your exact set up of your phone. That way if your flash goes wrong for some reason you can restore the backup you made

da305kratos can you give us a run down of your exact steps start to finish...seems like you really figured it out yesterday, but tough to follow with all the trys and didnt works in the thread.

Any help would be great...

Thanks!

The problem was a bad download of rom manager. The steps should be run z4root and check permanent root. Then download rom manager from the market and use the top tab to flash clockwork mod recovery

Stunya,

If you have root access now, I'd suggest finding amonRAs recovery for hero (make sure it is the version for cdma hero - amonRA recovery heroc.img). Get terminal emulator by J Palevich from the market. put recovery on root of your sd card.
    Open terminal emulator, type "su" , hit enter. should return a "#" sign without quotes. if so, then type;

flash_image recovery sdcard/recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img (then hit enter)

you wont type evo, obviously, you'll type exactly what the RA file is called for hero.

the only thing i can't clarify for you is if the root process you used added flash_image to your phone. if not, this wont work for you. youll have to grab the flash_image file for hero off xda, and and use terminal app to install that first. I forget the commands for that. Hopefully someone more sage than I can chime in on that.

OR, you can re-download ROMmanager. Sounds like that fixed things for both the others in this thread. I really like amons recoveries better, is the reason I suggested the above rather than ROMmanager route. Hope any of this helped