[Q] Bootloader unlocking: Correct me if Im Wrong

Search This thread

incapture

Sep 4, 2012
Ok so ive read alot from the pro devs and people on the forums that unlocking your bootloader most "likely" wont void your warrenty esp. if you just relock it by restoring your TA backup and your carefull and clean about it but i have two problems with believing this. They are as fellows.
  • cant the sony apps just check for root and send a message
  • the service app knows if its unlocked and since youve entered your imei number to get your key again coulddnt sony send a message with your imei number
  • isnt the accounts linked between sony and google shared in the least which means the above questions can be passed on with google to sony
  • according to sony even if it doesnt void the warrenty that you agree to pay an additional repair fee for modified software.
Lets not beat around the bush and just say it would more than likly void your warrenty or at least have some cost. sorry if ive missread items on the forums but if i have read correctly or others have missunderstood as i may have hipefully this clears the air. Cause after all sony is company to make money but to make money they have to keep us happy so i am more than happy to admit i dont have a clue where it lies but i was about to unlock my boot loader when there was all these disclaimers which kinda scared me. my phones already rooted though so i may have already broken those disclaimers. END RANT.

iArvee

Apr 23, 2014
Manila
Rooting is fine, as to my knowledge. It's unlocking the bootloader that you lose your "DRM" keys and thus lose warranty. But from what I've read, very few service centers check for that anyway. If all goes downhill, play the ignorance card and pretend that you do not know a thing about that. I'm fairly new to the whole rooting/unlocking scene and still learning, just as you. Also, from what I've been told, you have little to worry about if you have rooted/unlocked your phone.

jeremy.shi

Jun 26, 2010
Adelaide
I remember someone posting a thread about sony refused to service his phone without a charge for a hardware fault because of the bootloader was unlocked. That's in Australia tho. Not sure how somewhere else is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grungypoo

Jun 15, 2010
I remember someone posting a thread about sony refused to service his phone without a charge for a hardware fault because of the bootloader was unlocked. That's in Australia tho. Not sure how somewhere else is like.

That's about right. Australia's not the most customer service friendliest country to be in (with literally less than a handful of exceptions, and this is across ALL industries, be it hospitality or electronics.)

The usual immediate reaction to most warranty claims are "you've done something with the phone to cause this," followed be "prove you haven't done this and we'll accept it, unless we can prove the opposite."

Happening with me and my current phone (samsung s3,) which is why I'm on this neck of the woods with the forum as I'm looking or a new phone.

jeremy.shi

Jun 26, 2010
Adelaide
That's about right. Australia's not the most customer service friendliest country to be in (with literally less than a handful of exceptions, and this is across ALL industries, be it hospitality or electronics.)

The usual immediate reaction to most warranty claims are "you've done something with the phone to cause this," followed be "prove you haven't done this and we'll accept it, unless we can prove the opposite."

Happening with me and my current phone (samsung s3,) which is why I'm on this neck of the woods with the forum as I'm looking or a new phone.

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm just lucky. Shops in my suburb offer pretty good customer service. Those people over the phone from my bank, NAB, couldn't be friendlier...the time I had really bad customer service was with Vodafone, but they were not based in Australia. I guess that doesn't count.

Anyway, if after-sale service is what you are looking for, get a nexus from google play store. They are pretty much like Apple I heard. They send you a replacement if there's anything wrong and then you send your phone to them, but you have the get the phone from play store directly in order to get that kinda service. Otherwise, you will be stuck dealing with LG.

I have received really good customer service from Apple, but I guess most people here are mostly android fans.

grungypoo

Jun 15, 2010
Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm just lucky. Shops in my suburb offer pretty good customer service. Those people over the phone from my bank, NAB, couldn't be friendlier...the time I had really bad customer service was with Vodafone, but they were not based in Australia. I guess that doesn't count.

Anyway, if after-sale service is what you are looking for, get a nexus from google play store. They are pretty much like Apple I heard. They send you a replacement if there's anything wrong and then you send your phone to them, but you have the get the phone from play store directly in order to get that kinda service. Otherwise, you will be stuck dealing with LG.

I have received really good customer service from Apple, but I guess most people here are mostly android fans.

Well I definitely think that Apple has their warranty service down to a tee.
I also think that Telstra's doing this too. What they're doing is creating an extra layer, where they just pretty much "accept" any errors, send it to warranty department to sort out and let you know what the result is. None of this "well, I think you're trying to screw the system, etc etc" talk.

Makes it alot easier. I was at the samsung experience shop and was told by someone who had no tech idea (in the tech/warranty support section, mind you) that I've tampered with the phone and there is no way it will be fixed under warranty, in an attempt to make me feel bad and walk away from trying to get a hardware error (power button,) fixed under warranty. When I tried to explain to them how the bootloader works and how you can reset the counter, they took it as an act of aggression and told me flat "no, you can hand it in but we'll know. Your risk."
I mean, there's no need for that as the phone's going to repair centre to get looked at but they just need to get that swipe in definitely doesn't help add to the customer service experience. But that's pretty much how it is for customer service in Australia.

jeremy.shi

Jun 26, 2010
Adelaide
Well I definitely think that Apple has their warranty service down to a tee.
I also think that Telstra's doing this too. What they're doing is creating an extra layer, where they just pretty much "accept" any errors, send it to warranty department to sort out and let you know what the result is. None of this "well, I think you're trying to screw the system, etc etc" talk.

Makes it alot easier. I was at the samsung experience shop and was told by someone who had no tech idea (in the tech/warranty support section, mind you) that I've tampered with the phone and there is no way it will be fixed under warranty, in an attempt to make me feel bad and walk away from trying to get a hardware error (power button,) fixed under warranty. When I tried to explain to them how the bootloader works and how you can reset the counter, they took it as an act of aggression and told me flat "no, you can hand it in but we'll know. Your risk."
I mean, there's no need for that as the phone's going to repair centre to get looked at but they just need to get that swipe in definitely doesn't help add to the customer service experience. But that's pretty much how it is for customer service in Australia.

Saying about Telstra, just not long ago, a guy on WP posted something about their warranty policy. He said he was asked to sign a piece of paper to declare that if the fault was determined to be caused by the user, he would be charged for the service. I guess they just don't say it out loud to you. Instead, they ask you to sign a legal document that is pretty much an open cheque. However, I never had any personal experience with them. It's just what I read on the internet.

grungypoo

Jun 15, 2010
Saying about Telstra, just not long ago, a guy on WP posted something about their warranty policy. He said he was asked to sign a piece of paper to declare that if the fault was determined to be caused by the user, he would be charged for the service. I guess they just don't say it out loud to you. Instead, they ask you to sign a legal document that is pretty much an open cheque. However, I never had any personal experience with them. It's just what I read on the internet.

Sounds about right, and that's pretty standard tho'.
I think it's better that way because the techs make the decision based only on the phone they see, not the person who has it.

The only part I'd have a problem with is if they charge people automatically as opposed to giving them a quote first. But then again it stops people from "trying to get it fixed under warranty," if you know what I mean.
In any case, I was at the Samsung shop again today and they guy asked questions about the phone. At first the phone seemed like everything was working, which embarrassed me and had the guy asking if I got the phone wet, but then it started bootlooping, so they swapped it for another phone. I'm still looking at getting a z2 tho'.

incapture

Sep 4, 2012
hey thanks for the info but has anyone had any reports for hardfaults directly with sony becuase sonys websites say there may be a charge just for unlocking it but they arnt clear?

jeremy.shi

Jun 26, 2010
Adelaide
Sounds about right, and that's pretty standard tho'.
I think it's better that way because the techs make the decision based only on the phone they see, not the person who has it.

The only part I'd have a problem with is if they charge people automatically as opposed to giving them a quote first. But then again it stops people from "trying to get it fixed under warranty," if you know what I mean.
In any case, I was at the Samsung shop again today and they guy asked questions about the phone. At first the phone seemed like everything was working, which embarrassed me and had the guy asking if I got the phone wet, but then it started bootlooping, so they swapped it for another phone. I'm still looking at getting a z2 tho'.

I went to Telstra today to get my phone fixed as Sony advised me that the issue I had was likely to be a hardware problem. It went really well. He did play around with it a bit and verified the problem. He said I would get a brand new unit within a week and he didn't ask me to sign anything. Hopefully I can get my hands on a perfect one soon.

grungypoo

Jun 15, 2010
Hmm... did he even fill anything in on the computer systems?
Hopefully you remember the guy's name and when you came in if it goes awry.

Top Liked Posts