Android Nougat on Moto Z (All Unlocked Versions)

Search This thread
G

GuestK00465

I was encouraged to make a separate thread for this, so I did.

Here we're going to try and port the Verizon Nougat update to all Moto Z phones.

I said I'd upload the code into GitHub to make it easier to change stuff, but that got too confusing so I just used Google Drive lol. Anyway, let's get started.

I'll start by editing the update script in the zip, and I'll need somebody to verify that it works. Just be forewarned that things might break (thus the alpha status). If things break, there are other threads with all the Marshmallow stock zip files, flash that and try again. Make sure to check those threads before you flash though, because if you break your phone and then check those threads to find your zip just to realize that they don't have your zip, then you're screwed. Please, please, please, PLEASE make a backup of your ROM. I'm here to fix problems with this ROM, not to fix your phone because you didn't backup your data.

Backup Without TWRP or Unlocked Bootloader (When you're trying to prepare for a bootloader unlock)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69821066&postcount=38

Downloads:

New Downlaod Link :
Main RETMX Firmware : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar...ubsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

Main TELUS Firmware (NPL25.86-30) : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar..._subsidy-TELUS_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

Main RETUS Firmware (NPLS25.86-17-3-8) : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar...ubsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

Installation Guide:
Download and extract Main TELUS Firmware on PC
Make Sure You have backup of your whole Device [System, Boot, OEM, Data, Internal Storage]
Flash System, Boot, OEM, Fsg, Modem Partitons :
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.10
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.11
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.12
(continue it it has more chunks ...)
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase cache 
(fastboot erase userdata) (Not Needed But Recommanded)

Boot into TWRP :
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img
(or flash it)
use adb sideload (Advanced -> ADB Sideload) and flash this ZIP from attachments to Disable Force-Encryption (Not needed but Recommanded)
Code:
adb sideload UPDATE-AnyKernel2.zip
wait to complete flashing
ROOT : (OPTIONAL)
Follow this Guide : https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/how-to/guide-how-to-root-moto-z-supersu-t3551113
use adb sideload (Advanced -> ADB Sideload) and flash this ZIP from attachments to get systemless Root access
Code:
adb sideload superuser-r259.zip
Reboot
(For Rooted Guys) install phh's SuperUser From PlayStore : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.phh.superuser&hl=en

(it's working and confirmed on XT1650-03 and 05, RETUS, EU, CN, ...)
ENJOY

After Installing Nougat With This Method You Can take Back to Stock Marshmallow Or Install New CM14.1 Builds This is safest and Easiest Method To Install Stock Nougat on Moto Z

Why not help out XDA and spam click a few ads? (and then close the tabs cuz who really wants to buy stuff from ads lol. Either way, XDA gets money just for you clicking on them :))​

XDA:DevDB Information
Android Nougat, ROM for the Moto Z

Contributors
SoulDJ673, erfanoabdi
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
Based On: Stock Verizon Nougat OTA.zip

Version Information

Created 2016-11-24
Last Updated 2017-07-16

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161123-185433.png
    Screenshot_20161123-185433.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 8,978
  • Screenshot_20161124-102036.png
    Screenshot_20161124-102036.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 8,578
  • Screenshot_20161124-102047.png
    Screenshot_20161124-102047.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 8,802
  • Screenshot_20161124-102100.png
    Screenshot_20161124-102100.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 8,318
Last edited:
G

GuestK00465

Updates

Update 5:
Added erfanoadbi's EU port to the downloads list. We need testers!

Update 6:
When I added erfanoabdi as a contributor it reset this post lol. I've fixed it as much as I could though.

Update 7:
The system.data.patch file finished uploading on the Verizon Unzipped Link

Update 8:
Added installation instructions for the EU test to the OP

Update 9:
Added an alternative link for the Verizon firmware as some people were having problems with the first link

Update 10:
Added Google Zip Downloading and ADB Backup Information to OP

Update 11:
EU Test doesn't work :(

Update 12:
EU Test works now thanks to erfanoadbi's awesome work :) :)

Update 13:
Added stuff about Moto Voice error to OP

Last edited:
G

GuestK00465

ADB and Sideload

If you don't know how to sideload, you'll first have to have adb installed on your pc. If you're on Windows, refer to @Snoop05's post here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2588979 and download the installer for adb and fastboot. If you're on a Mac, refer to @AshtonTS's post here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1917237. Also, be sure to throw these awesome people some thanks :)

For my fellow peoples on Linux:
Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Arch Linux: sudo pacman -S android-tools
Red Hat and others: You people are straight up savages and probably already know how to get a hold of it lol.

Open your terminal, the command prompt for Windows users, and cd to wherever the adb binary is (Linux users don't have to do this because it's already in your path, unless you installed it some way other than the package manager). Move the ota.zip to that directory. Enable USB debugging on the Moto (Settings > About Phone > Click Build Number 7 times, then Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging) and then plug the Moto into your PC. Type "adb reboot recovery" (Mac users type "./adb reboot recovery"), and then wait. (If this doesn't work, look on the Moto and see if there's an authentication dialogue) On the Moto you'll soon see the Android robot lying on it's back and a red triangle above that. The screen will read "No command". Press and hold the power button for 2-3 seconds and then quickly also press Volume up and then release both buttons. On mine I have to do this button pressing thingy a few times, but eventually the recovery menu will come up. When it does, use the volume buttons to go down to the "Apply update via ADB" option and press the power button to select it. Go back to the computer and type "adb sideload ota.zip" (Mac users don't forget the "./" at the front) and it'll start to sideload the zip onto the phone. After that just wait and soon it'll install Nougat. (Ofc now we know that this isn't always the case)

Last edited:

H00pyFr00d

Feb 9, 2010
I imagine the intention is to flash this from stock recovery rather than TWRP? I get E:footer is wrong E:Signature verification failed Installation Aborted

Reactions: thisispoob

Shadowdancer123

Mar 11, 2010
Bottnaryd
Stock recovery won't mount either the internal or external storage, and using adb sideload it just says
"unable to load ota.zip"
It doesn't appear to even try to open or verify the file itself, maybe it's too large?

I tried sideloading twrp.zip, just to see if it would do Anything at all, and that file is loaded and rejected (because my bootloader is locked)

I have reteu, not verizon, but I should at least get an error message.

Maybe I just have to wait, they claim to have begun rolling out world wide, but I've been hammering that update button once an hour since monday... :p

H00pyFr00d

Feb 9, 2010
Via TWRP it gets stuck as it's expecting the Google folder in META-INF>Com. I added it from the original OTA and it's throwing up Griffin product name errors. Going to try a few things.

G

GuestK00465

I imagine the intention is to flash this from stock recovery rather than TWRP? I get E:footer is wrong E:Signature verification failed Installation Aborted

Yes, stock recovery is the goal but if you have TWRP then you can use that. Just know that the modem files and stuff are strictly for Verizon, so I wouldn't try to force flash it until I get those replaced.

G

GuestK00465

Stock recovery won't mount either the internal or external storage, and using adb sideload it just says
"unable to load ota.zip"
It doesn't appear to even try to open or verify the file itself, maybe it's too large?

I tried sideloading twrp.zip, just to see if it would do Anything at all, and that file is loaded and rejected (because my bootloader is locked)

I have reteu, not verizon, but I should at least get an error message.

Maybe I just have to wait, they claim to have begun rolling out world wide, but I've been hammering that update button once an hour since monday... :p

To be on the safe side, yeah I'd wait until the official OTA comes out. If you want it early tho that's cool too, just upload your current stock rom and I can play switcheroo on some necessary files.

Shadowdancer123

Mar 11, 2010
Bottnaryd
With the limited backup capabilities of unrooted android and scarcity of fastboot rom files..

I'm just gonna sit here and click refresh on the update button. XD

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
I was encouraged to make a separate thread for this, so I did.

Here we're going to try and port the Verizon Nougat update to all Moto Z phones.

I said I'd upload the code into GitHub to make it easier to change stuff, but that got too confusing so I just used Google Drive lol. Anyway, let's get started.

I'll start by editing the update script in the zip, and I'll need somebody to verify that it works. Just be forewarned that things might break (thus the alpha status). If things break, there are other threads with all the Marshmallow stock zip files, flash that and try again. Make sure to check those threads before you flash though, because if you break your phone and then check those threads to find your zip just to realize that they don't have your zip, then you're screwed. Please, please, please, PLEASE make a backup of your ROM. I'm here to fix problems with this ROM, not to fix your phone because you didn't backup your data.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here's the link to download it: null

Just so you know, if you try downloading it before around 13:00 EST, you won't have the full thing. My internet isn't the best, so it's gonna take a while.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

Update:
Internet Crashed :/

Update 2:
I got most of the ota to upload but not all of it, but now as a wonderful Thanksgiving present I've got more drama in my life :/. I'll take a break for a day or two, hopefully Moto doesn't send out the rest of the OTAs so my attempts are for nothing.

XDA:DevDB Information
Android Nougat, ROM for the Moto Z

Contributors
SoulDJ673
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
Based On: Stock Verizon Nougat OTA.zip

Version Information

Created 2016-11-24
Last Updated 2016-11-24

Hi @SoulDJ673, thanks for working on this project.
could you please give me list of files on this zip? is it contains "system.new.dat"?
could you please only upload "system.new.dat" for me, this shouldn't be heavy too mach :)

thanks again
_________

Sorry,
i found your uploaded zip here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69764157&postcount=42

Last edited:
G

GuestK00465

Needing Only One or Two Small Files

Hi @SoulDJ673, thanks for working on this project.
could you please give me list of files on this zip? is it contains "system.new.dat"?
could you please only upload "system.new.dat" for me, this shouldn't be heavy too mach :)

thanks again
_________

Sorry,
i found your uploaded zip here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69764157&postcount=42

Sorry I didn't answer, where I'm at it was around 4 AM and I was too tired to do anything, and also I've been having some issues in my life rn. But, things are better so I'll be more present. For the future though, if you ever just need a small file I just added a Google Drive link with the unzipped ota so that way you won't have to download the whole 1.5GB zip :)

G

GuestK00465

EU Version

I am going to make a flashable zip to night. It will probably work with EU version. Need to investigate..

Thanks a lot, it's been hard trying to even think of ways to port this without having any of the devices I'm trying to port it to lol. If it works, throw me a link and I'll put it in the header post and add you as a contributor.

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
Sorry I didn't answer, where I'm at it was around 4 AM and I was too tired to do anything, and also I've been having some issues in my life rn. But, things are better so I'll be more present. For the future though, if you ever just need a small file I just added a Google Drive link with the unzipped ota so that way you won't have to download the whole 1.5GB zip :)

No problem bro
Thanks

But let me tell you you can't just patch updater-script to make it working on any unlocked devices.

As I see and tested on this zip file, Motorola OTA is working with system.patch.dat which means you have to find head system.img and patch this OTA file on it, I mean all files on this zip is only patchable on "mcls24.246-36-3" system firmware
So you(we) have to patch them on device and make backup of system partition and use it to flash via fastboot or emulate this progress some where else (other rooted device or Android emulator)

So far
I got mcls24.246-36-3 firmware and flashed on my device (everything looks fine)
And I started flashing system.patch.dat and system.new.dat on it but no success
I can verify system patch (very good) but I can't patch it
It seems this is bug of the TWRP I'm going to build google stock recovery without verification check and tell you result's.

I'll upload my works maybe it's useful

main firmware : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar...ubsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
my zip : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3HUyyOqyhD1N3FfQ2YyREhvdDA

Last edited:
Reactions: papampi
G

GuestK00465

No problem bro
Thanks

But let me tell you you can't just patch updater-script to make it working on any unlocked devices.

As I see and tested on this zip file, Motorola OTA is working with system.patch.dat which means you have to find head system.img and patch this OTA file on it, I mean all files on this zip is only patchable on "mcls24.246-36-3" system firmware
So you(we) have to patch them on device and make backup of system partition and use it to flash via fastboot or emulate this progress some where else (other rooted device or Android emulator)

So far
I got mcls24.246-36-3 firmware and flashed on my device (everything looks fine)
And I started flashing system.patch.dat and system.new.dat on it but no success
I can verify system patch (very good) but I can't patch it
It seems this is bug of the TWRP I'm going to build google stock recovery without verification check and tell you result's.

I'll upload my works maybe it's useful

main firmware : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar...ubsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
my zip : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3HUyyOqyhD1N3FfQ2YyREhvdDA (waiting for system.patch.dat)

Ok awesome, as for the updater-script, I didn't think that'd work but I thought maybe it could be a start. I'm still kinda new to this tbh. Thanks for the info though, it'll help me get better with this kind of stuff. I'm very skilled in Linux but Android is kinda different so it's a bit of a learning curve lol.

Top Liked Posts