how to flash update rc29 from sdcard

Search This thread

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
**EDIT** Figured if I have a post here, it might as well be useful.

Here is the update:
Google Download: https://android.clients.google.com/updates/signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19+RC28.zip
**This download might need to be refreshed once or twice before it works. If you get 503 server error, try again, if it doesn't work after a while use the links below.

Rapidshare Download 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/159243313/signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19_RC28.zip

Rapidshare Download 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/159244738/signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19_RC28.zip.html

Rapidshare Download 3: http://rapidshare.com/files/159411433/update.zip.html

Android-DLS.com: http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=20&t=131&rb_v=viewtopic (Must be registered)

Steps to upgrade:

1: Download the file and rename/save it as update.zip (some users found just plain update works best (no .zip))

2: Place the file on your mini SD card and insert it into your G1 (card formatting requirements still unknown, so if fat does not work, try fat32 and vice versa) with THE PHONE OFF

3: While the phone IS STILL OFF, Hold down the "Home" and press the power button (end call) (keep holding "Home"

3: Wait for
attachment.php

open your keyboard and press Alt+L

4: When you see yellow text, pless Alt+S

5: When it says "Installation Complete" you can press "Home" + "Back" to reboot.

6: Wait for your phone to completely reboot and allow it to finish writing your radio rom during reboot

7: Enjoy

These instructions are paraphrased from other users and are not written by me.

Last edited:

bps725

Oct 2, 2005
Worked Great for me.. Just downloaded the update file and it took about three minutes to install from the SD, then it asks to hit home and back at the same time to reboot. It then installed the radio and rebooted (Twice)... THEN.... Alls working great and it says RC29. Same as my other G1 that was sent the update the other day. Feel like I'm back to the good ol times of udating my HTC Universal.

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
got it to install by renaming it to update (not update.zip)

its going through now :D

felicita

Apr 30, 2007
Moscow
i think that it works without extension (.zip) if extensions are hidden on pc
For me it`s not work nither .zip no without extension.

satru

Apr 22, 2008
when you going to recovery mode and going to text mode (alt+L) the second line say that the program will find for make update the file with name update with extension zip. some time the pc have the ext hide in the config.of windows explorer

i think that it works without extension (.zip) if extensions are hidden on pc
For me it`s not work nither .zip no without extension.

Last edited:

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
If all your files are missing the .xxx extension style only rename it to update. If you see .zip at the end of the file rename it to update.zip

If you are having trouble feel free to IM, PM, email me and I will do my best to help.

snoslicer8

Feb 22, 2006
Originally Posted by bitter1
I'm nosey, what's Link Removed

Not that I'm gonna try it. . .but I'm curious.
Just flashed this (like the retard I am) and now I have a build that appears to be a TEST BUILD. Data as follows:

Firmware Version: 1.0

Baseband Version: 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29

Kernel version: 2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0
android-build@apa27 #6

Build number: kila-user 1.0 TC4-RC29 115247
ota-rel-keys,for-testing,release-keys

Trying to reflash to the SD card update RC19-RC28 fails with a long, cryptic error.

Any ideas?

MOD Edit: Link removed due to possible device bricking...

Last edited by a moderator:

staulkor

Jan 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ, USA
OMG! I finally got it working. I have tried this near a dozen times and nothing.

Note to all others: Plug in the phone over usb to transfer the file. DO NOT take out the sd card and put it on their like that. It wont work! (for me atleast). I put the file on the phone over usb, not taking out the card, and it is currently updating.

dtmcnamara

Oct 26, 2007
you might want to update the instructions to state:

With the phone OFF hold the home button and press the power button to turn the phone on (WHILE STILL HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON)

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I would be careful trying that version as the filename is not the same as the filename everyone else is trying (signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19+RC28.zip) and seems to be a test build. The bad part is that the filenames look so close I can see all the new ppl viewing not noticing the difference and trying it.

snoslicer8

Feb 22, 2006
I've already installed the "test version", and now I can't get back from it. I know, I'm a retard.

Here is the error message that the phone gives me when I try to restore to the RC29 build that everyone else is using:

Code:
Installing update...
E:Failure at line 1:
assert getprop("ro.build.fingerprint") == 
"tmobile/kila/dream/trout:1.0/TC4-RC29/115247:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys" || getprop("ro.build.fingerprint") == 
"tmobile/kila/dream/trout:1.0/TC4-RC28/114235:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keysInstallation aborted.

Press Home+Back to reboot

Does this show anything?

dtmcnamara

Oct 26, 2007
lol...its funny to see everyone on all the HTC/Android forums....lol

same s/n and everything