How bad is S-Voice really? Why?

Search This thread

srzbznz

Sep 19, 2013
Hi guys, I want to know just how bad the s-voice on the gear s2 really is before I make a final decision. Many reviewers keep saying that the s-voice is one of the only bad things about the gear but they never go in to much detail about why exactly.

Is the S-voice technology the same as the ones already on Samsung phones?? I have been playing around with the one on my S6 Edge and it seems quite satisfactory.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Hi guys, I want to know just how bad the s-voice on the gear s2 really is before I make a final decision. Many reviewers keep saying that the s-voice is one of the only bad things about the gear but they never go in to much detail about why exactly.

Is the S-voice technology the same as the ones already on Samsung phones?? I have been playing around with the one on my S6 Edge and it seems quite satisfactory.

The S Voice on the watch can't set reminders, which is stupid. Hopefully Samsung will fix it soon with an update. Also, the wake up voice is a hit-or-miss.

S Voice works better on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

srzbznz

Sep 19, 2013
The S Voice on the watch can't set reminders, which is stupid. Hopefully Samsung will fix it soon with an update. Also, the wake up voice is a hit-or-miss.

S Voice works better on the phone.

Thanks for your input! When the wake up voice doesn't pick up is it due to it simply not recognizing the sound or is the watch too far away from your voice? (is distance or volume relevant when it does not work)

How about when the wake up command is actually working? How is the speed and accuracy of the issued commands afterwards? Comparison to google voice?

supersoulfly

Dec 29, 2010
Seoul, Korea
I have found it works alright for dictating replies and basic commands like weather and schedule inquiries. It's a bit slow for inquiries so I tend to only use it for replies.

If anything I have found the mic to be too sensitive. On a couple occasions it has woken S-Voice up without my command and if I'm dictating a reply in a room with background noise it will try to write out what's going on in the background.

Reactions: srzbznz

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Compared to the processing speed of Google Now, it was about half the speed for me. And it has too many confirmations. For instance, once I tell Google who my wife is and command it to call my wife, it remembers and just dials my wife right away.

On S Voice, it asks me to confirm that I really want to call my wife every single time. It's kinda annoying.

As for voice wake up, my success rate goes up if I place my mouth really close to the microphone hole. Otherwise, I have to repeat several times or raise my voice quite a bit.

Reactions: srzbznz

schwartzki

Feb 29, 2008
Mine is nearly unusable for me, we have a long last name and still to this day I cannot compose a text message to my wife. All other SVoice commands on the watch are hit or miss at best. If there is background noise forget about it. Coming from a Moto 360 which I was able to dictate in a live auction with 2 announcers and background noise the S2 voice is the suck in comparison. For that reason I find I use it as I used my pebble, to look at time and notifications and thats it. For that reason if I don't see an update this week it is going back.

taddo3

Oct 8, 2015
Mine seems to work just fine. I don't expect it to be perfect, but if you speak clearly it usually works 4 me.

marty45714

Feb 21, 2011
The frustrating thing is that it seems to pick a phone number out of the air when you say "Text Jane Doe". My wife's mobile phone number is the default number in her contact entry, but it picks her work number when I tell s-voice to text her. Basically renders it useless!!!

refereeme

Jun 26, 2009
SLOW is my biggest complaint with svoice. And it recognizes my 4 syllable wake command 1 out of 10 times. So bad, I don't use it and can't give details of other problems as noted above... starting to feel like a $325 (after tax) pedometer.

parshakov

Feb 2, 2016
Started working on my watch after the latest OS update. S Voice is now very fast and accurate, but results are often not very useful. You still cannot set reminders or get answers to questions like 'what's the tallest building in the world'. Setting up an alarm or timer works flawlessly, as well as asking for directions and launching apps.

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
When I reply to a text on the watch using s voice, it gets a few words wrong. Mind you, this is never a problem with Android wear.

dkamouflage

Oct 24, 2016
When I reply to a text on the watch using s voice, it gets a few words wrong. Mind you, this is never a problem with Android wear.

I still have terrible problems sending or replying to text messages--either with the text message app or with S Voice itself. Every time I have to use a question mark or exclamation point, it actually TYPES IT OUT, before putting it at the end of the sentence.

So "How's it going?" instead becomes "How's it going question Mark?"
And "That's awesome!" instead becomes "That's awesome exclamation point!"

Which is frustrating, to say the least.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have found it works alright for dictating replies and basic commands like weather and schedule inquiries. It's a bit slow for inquiries so I tend to only use it for replies.

If anything I have found the mic to be too sensitive. On a couple occasions it has woken S-Voice up without my command and if I'm dictating a reply in a room with background noise it will try to write out what's going on in the background.
    Compared to the processing speed of Google Now, it was about half the speed for me. And it has too many confirmations. For instance, once I tell Google who my wife is and command it to call my wife, it remembers and just dials my wife right away.

On S Voice, it asks me to confirm that I really want to call my wife every single time. It's kinda annoying.

As for voice wake up, my success rate goes up if I place my mouth really close to the microphone hole. Otherwise, I have to repeat several times or raise my voice quite a bit.