Charging Port Not Working Right

Search This thread

travanx

Apr 4, 2010
Los Angeles
So my fiance's charging port seems to have stopped working recently. She needs to jiggle the connection to get the wall charger to bring the light up. I am curious what should I expect when I call Sprint for this problem. She has insurance on the phone too. Is it possible to get her a newer phone? Trying to see what the best thing is I can do before giving Sprint a call. Her phone is also rooted of course.

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Have you tried a different cable? I have noticed on all my HTC chargers, the 2 little hook things that usually keep the charger snug while its in the phone go flat and it can cause lots of charging issues. I had one cord that would tell me discharging when it was plugged in. Its always worth a shot before calling sprint and they give you some dumb as* trouble shooting tips

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Reactions: travanx

travanx

Apr 4, 2010
Los Angeles
That would be the easy fix. Good call on that.

Have you tried a different cable? I have noticed on all my HTC chargers, the 2 little hook things that usually keep the charger snug while its in the phone go flat and it can cause lots of charging issues. I had one cord that would tell me discharging when it was plugged in. Its always worth a shot before calling sprint and they give you some dumb as* trouble shooting tips

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Also try and make sure to use a Genuine HTC Charger cable. The knock off cables do not last long, or work correctly for very long. If at all.

Quetzalcoatl

Jan 12, 2012
Also try and make sure to use a Genuine HTC Charger cable. The knock off cables do not last long, or work correctly for very long. If at all.

HTC charging cables have given me nothing but problems.
Mine broke after about a month of usage (wires showing and everything)
I stick with my trusty blackberry usb charger, blackberry makes the best usb cables for charging phones imo.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Really :confused: . Are you sure they weren't knock offs, or very used. I've used mine for more than a year now, with no issues. Also, if it went bad that quickly you can take it back to Sprint. They will replace it for Free. But then again I always try to have more than one USB Cable at all times. Learned the hard way to have a backup USB Cable.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

Jan 12, 2012
Really :confused: . Are you sure they weren't knock offs, or very used. I've used mine for more than a year now, with no issues. Also, if it went bad that quickly you can take it back to Sprint. They will replace it for Free. But then again I always try to have more than one USB Cable at all times. Learned the hard way to have a backup USB Cable.

Yeah, it was a brand new cable lol
Came wrapped with everything out of my shift's box.
It's no big deal, I have like 3 blackberry usb cables, and none of them show signs of giving out anytime soon :p
Besides, I like how my blackberry usb cables feels better made than my htc cable, maybe its just me lol.

drob311

Blackberry charging cords charge at a different rate and could be the cause of your problems. It could be overheating the port and causing havoc. I used to manage a battery store and I can reassure you that using other devices chargers is a bad idea, as they charge at a different voltages and amperage. See pics...
42575d91-bdb5-1161.jpg
42575d91-bdec-440e.jpg
42575d91-be3c-3c6f.jpg

Samsung= .7 Amps, sanyo= .8 Amps and htc= 1 Amp... All charge at different rates... Be very very careful...

Sent from my PG06100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: prboy1969

sixxt9

Sep 14, 2011
Reynoldsburg, OH
Blackberry charging cords charge at a different rate and could be the cause of your problems. It could be overheating the port and causing havoc. I used to manage a battery store and I can reassure you that using other devices chargers is a bad idea, as they charge at a different voltages and amperage.

Samsung= .7 Amps, sanyo= .8 Amps and htc= 1 Amp... All charge at different rates... Be very very careful...

Don't quote me on this, but i thought you're relatively safe as long as the output is less or equal to your stock charger? Like if your regular charger is rated .8A and you're using a .5A charger, you're fine ... only it'll charge slower. Is that right?

drob311

Don't quote me on this, but i thought you're relatively safe as long as the output is less or equal to your stock charger? Like if your regular charger is rated .8A and you're using a .5A charger, you're fine ... only it'll charge slower. Is that right?

Correct, being under the amperage is ok but still not recommended... The only time I always use my htc charger is my car htc charger, as car chargers can be the most damaging, due to the voltages changing.

sixxt9

Sep 14, 2011
Reynoldsburg, OH
Yeah I don't use car chargers very often. I think i got a Rocketfish car charger or something, but i'm not sure. For my AC charger, i just use whatever charger's handy. We have a bunch of old chargers that I'm sure are undervolted. But i also got a knockoff EVO replacement battery (same size as the shift battery, but higher capacity) so i'm not too worried about it ... ymmv though.

Before i got the other battery, i used my blackberry charger from my curve exclusively without problems. To each his own i guess, but it works for me personally and i get great battery life. Nearly hit 2 days on a charge with light usage a couple times.

Reactions: drob311

drob311

Yeah I don't use car chargers very often. I think i got a Rocketfish car charger or something, but i'm not sure. For my AC charger, i just use whatever charger's handy. We have a bunch of old chargers that I'm sure are undervolted. But i also got a knockoff EVO replacement battery (same size as the shift battery, but higher capacity) so i'm not too worried about it ... ymmv though.

Before i got the other battery, i used my blackberry charger from my curve exclusively without problems. To each his own i guess, but it works for me personally and i get great battery life. Nearly hit 2 days on a charge with light usage a couple times.

Must of got the right charger... That's a damn nice charge... :) :beer:

sixxt9

Sep 14, 2011
Reynoldsburg, OH
Well now that i have the other battery, i use whatever charger's around. I figure even if it doesn't get a "full" charge it'll last longer than the stock battery. I'm also running Supreme Sense 9.1 w/ dodgekernel 1.6 so i'm sure both of those help with battery consumption.

Sometime tomorrow afternoon i'll be updating to the new SSv9.2 and see how that with their new kernel does for battery consumption. But yeah ... EVO replacement battery from htcexpress . com is what i'm running in my shift and it's been nothing but a dream so far.

travanx

Apr 4, 2010
Los Angeles
Her phone finally bit the ghost. I was able to fiddle around with it right now to get it to charge, but what a pain. I am going to a service center tomorrow to see what is going on. Same problems with either an HTC charger or generic. My phone has no issues and is about the same age.

Last edited:

simply_sme

May 22, 2011
Her phone finally bit the ghost. I was able to fiddle around with it right now to get it to charge, but what a pain. I am going to a service center tomorrow to see what is going on. Same problems with either an HTC charger or generic. My phone has no issues and is about the same age.

Had this issue a few months ago (tried everything that's been suggested) and the service center told me that the charging port can't be fixed. They just sent me a replacement.

dahauss

Jul 20, 2008
Just got my wife a replacement EVO SHIFT from the SPRINT STORE since the touch on her screen was not responding.... the new one seems to have this issue.. they didnt give her a new charger and we are usig the one from the old shift. the light comes on, but it charges SLOW or doesnt charge at all. what could be causing this?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Just got my wife a replacement EVO SHIFT from the SPRINT STORE since the touch on her screen was not responding.... the new one seems to have this issue.. they didnt give her a new charger and we are usig the one from the old shift. the light comes on, but it charges SLOW or doesnt charge at all. what could be causing this?

Try a different HTC Charger.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Blackberry charging cords charge at a different rate and could be the cause of your problems. It could be overheating the port and causing havoc. I used to manage a battery store and I can reassure you that using other devices chargers is a bad idea, as they charge at a different voltages and amperage. See pics...
    42575d91-bdb5-1161.jpg
    42575d91-bdec-440e.jpg
    42575d91-be3c-3c6f.jpg