[Q]how can I change the bootloader image not the boot animation

Search This thread

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Hello,
I was wondering how I could change the bootloader static image (the very first image you see when you turn it on says stuff like seandroid enforcing and stuff).
I searched and saw that it was done for the epic 4g but from the thread it looked like it was specific to that device.

Last edited:

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
Hello,
I was wondering how I could change the bootloader static image (the very first image you see when you turn it on says stuff like seandroid enforcing and stuff).
I searched and saw that it was done for the epic 4g but from the thread it looked like it was specific to that device.

It's built into the kernel and would need to be changed in the kernel. I don't think it is even possible with stock.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
It's built into the kernel and would need to be changed in the kernel. I don't think it is even possible with stock.

Ok so what your saying is that in theory anyways I would have to get the source of a kernel change the image and compile it from scratch? You also said it most likely would not be possible with stock, stock kernel you mean,? Because I thought custom kernels were already out.

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
Yea, you would need to decompile the kernel and replace the image.

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Yea, you would need to decompile the kernel and replace the image.

Ok I got an idea now, but I am surprised that it is in the kernel because the android boot sequence goes bootloader then kernel then android and I thought the picture of anything would be in the bootloader, but I will defently get a hold of a custom kernel and poke around thanks for the info :)

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Ok I'm at a loss at the moment after digging around in the blaze kernel source I failed to find any logo picture at all and after further research expanding to previous galaxy s models and other Samsung lines I determined one common denominator, param.lfs.

Now I ran a command to determine the partitions along with their familiars (I don't remember the command at the moment) and it came back with mmcblk0p11 with familiar "param" so I am guessing this is the one.

I then ran command
Dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/storage/extSdCard/wkinglfs/param.lfs which outputted a 10mb file however when I open it in a hex editor it's all 0's

At this point I try to mount it in the file system by first creating folder ".lfs" in /mnt/ and then running mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 /mnt/.lfs which outputs the error "mount: invalid argument.
I am stuck here, I am not really sure where to go from here

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-04-14-52-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-04-14-52-15.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 316
Reactions: IvanCristina

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Still stuck...
No matter how I dump or where I dump param partition the file I dump always comes out full of zeros in the hex editor and I am confident that this is the area I need to modify to obtain my goal, any help is greatly appreciated.

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Partial success, after going through the aboot dump with a hex editor and copying out from FFD8 to FFD9 into a new jpeg file I was able to get many images out of it, most importantly the boot splash images, and then reinserting my custom images I flashed using dd if=/storage/extSdCard/abootnew.mbn of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 however upon reboot I still see Samsung logos, any help would appreciated

cm0002

Aug 28, 2010
Ok so I redumped aboot to see why itwas still displaying Samsung logos and come to find out the new one never got flashed in the first place so the dd command referenced earlier did not work so I tried flashing using heimdall but apparently heimdall does not work yet for the galaxy s5.

How do I package aboot for use with odin or is there another way to flash aboot?

Top Liked Posts