[FIX] GPS Fix for Froyo firmwares based on JM9's Drivers

Search This thread

doronkdoron

Sep 8, 2010
I heared a lot of opinions saying that the GPS on eclair JM9 is very good, near perfect. As you know, we can't say that on JPO, WJPA and all froyo versions.

So, It's just seems obvious to me to ask - why Samsung went back with the GPS performance?

And is it possible to create a fix for the GPS for Froyo, based on the firmware from JM9' so the performance of the GPS on Froyo will significantly improve?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have asked from PilotX to create this kind of fix for me. Thanks to him (post#9) for creating a flashable zip via ClockworkMod recovery with JM9's GPS files inside.

http://www.multiupload.com/C90PAO39WX

***Using this is at your own risk but in no way will you generate the same result as some did. Although people have been reporting on better GPS after applying this "fix", it's still your own decision to make. A backup is recommended, as allways.***

Tutorial
Download the file and put it in your sdcard.
Go to ClockworkMod recovery, choose "Install from sdcard" and browse to that zip file, then flash it.

After that, download an application called "SGS Tools" from the market.
Run SGS Tools. Browse to Secret Codes > GPS Test and Settings > Delete GPS data.
Then try out your GPS, don't panic, as the first fix takes a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: v88p and evoic

mike.sw

Jul 31, 2010
opinions doesnt mean much unless they are backed up with some real data. you can browse the forum and find a lot of opinions about different gps fixes along the way.
few months have passed since first signs of trouble with gps, more then enough to find 100% fix.

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState
Please change the thread title, you making it sound like you have a GPS fix for Froyo. When you are really just asking questions and inquiring.

doronkdoron

Sep 8, 2010
Please change the thread title, you making it sound like you have a GPS fix for Froyo. When you are really just asking questions and inquiring.

That's why I have used the question mark icon. Still, I will change it.

mike, As many people here, I inquire the GPS subject for a long time. The information about JM9 is based not only on XDA users, but on people that I trust, Who have tried many firmwares and tested the GPS tens of hours. I would have tried it myself, but It will be a big problem for me to go back to eclair.

Is it even possible to create such a fix for Froyo? (based on eclair)

silverstorm

Sep 22, 2006
London
Yep, based on my experience no other ROM has matched Eclair JM8, when it comes to Google Navigation accuracy. I'm on JPO and the voice directions go hay-wire "turn left in 30 yards" nope, wait, "carry on straight and cross the junction" and it constantly puts me on the opposite traffic flow. But I wouldn't flash back to JM8 just cos of reliable satnav since I'd miss so much of the Froyo goodness

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
GPS navigation really depends on a lot of factors incuding hardware revision and physical location ( and probably luck )

I have 2 SGS's here and side by side the other one locks to 7 sats and its very accurate on a drive basis while the other one barely locks to 4 and takes over 5mins to even find 1.. both have the same firmware installed.

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
GPS navigation really depends on a lot of factors incuding hardware revision and physical location ( and probably luck )

I have 2 SGS's here and side by side the other one locks to 7 sats and its very accurate on a drive basis while the other one barely locks to 4 and takes over 5mins to even find 1.. both have the same firmware installed.

gps.conf set to the right region?

doronkdoron

Sep 8, 2010
As pilotx said, he made the JM9 fix for me. I can also confirm the GPS have vastly improved on my device! Althogh It's not perfect, It's the best GPS I have seen on my device. Try installing it on FROYO.

Don't forget to clean the GPS data after installation! be patient, first time fix may take some time.

puiradu2009

Sep 25, 2009
Iasi
Can you guys be more acurate?

Should I rename the zip to update.zip then install the update files from recovery mode?
How to to clean gps data after the update?
A small tutorial is needed...
Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

doronkdoron

Sep 8, 2010
I'm sorry, thought it was obvious :
1. install the file using clockworkmod, no need to rename.
2. clear the GPS data (using a program called "SGS tools", you can find it on market. enter :
secret codes--->GPS test and settings--->delete GPS data.

again, be patient for first time fix!

share your results, me and pilotx had big improvement.

zorxd

Jun 30, 2010
What kind of improvement do you see? Faster GPS lock or better accuracy?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I heared a lot of opinions saying that the GPS on eclair JM9 is very good, near perfect. As you know, we can't say that on JPO, WJPA and all froyo versions.

So, It's just seems obvious to me to ask - why Samsung went back with the GPS performance?

And is it possible to create a fix for the GPS for Froyo, based on the firmware from JM9' so the performance of the GPS on Froyo will significantly improve?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have asked from PilotX to create this kind of fix for me. Thanks to him (post#9) for creating a flashable zip via ClockworkMod recovery with JM9's GPS files inside.

***Using this is at your own risk but in no way will you generate the same result as some did. Although people have been reporting on better GPS after applying this "fix", it's still your own decision to make. A backup is recommended, as allways.***

Tutorial
    Go to ClockworkMod recovery, choose "Install from sdcard" and browse to that zip file, then flash it.

After that, download an application called "SGS Tools" from the market.
    Run SGS Tools. Browse to Secret Codes > GPS Test and Settings > Delete GPS data.
    XWJPA gives best GPS performance

Allright - well I actually did two tweaks at the same time here. So what is really giving the improvement, is hard to say. But my conclusion is that the tweaks improves the gps vastly!

Here's how I tested. I used the GPS Test software from Chartcross (download from Marked) to see how stable the reception is. The more constant the bars are, the better the reception/lock are.

Yesterday I drove home from work (Doc's XWJPA) with GPS test app open. I monitored how the bars would change and even sometimes completly disappear! My Wisepilot Navigation even had a hard time telling my wether I was driving on the road or not! Ok - no further test needed - it was obvious that gps wasn't working that good.

So, I installed this GPS fix + did a tweak, which I explain further down and then drove to work this morning. Whhhaaaaat - highly interesting result! This morning there was only very little disturbance on the bars from GPS test app. And I even had several green bars plus a constant sat-lock on 9-11 satelites - impressive! Opened google maps, to see how my position was acc. to maps and just by looking - it was spot on the road. No next to or anything - just spot on! And this was while it was snowing, not much but it did snow!

The most interesting part is that it seems to be way more consistant with this GPS fix + tweak. So the following days I will test more to see if this really is the thing. So far I'm highly impressed.

Tweak II
    Allright - this is actually from a youtube video, so credits goes to the dude that found out. Here are the steps.
    > Go to "Settings -> Location and security -> untick Use wireless networks"
    > Go to SGS tools (download from Marked)
    > Go to "Secret Codes"
    > And find "GPS-Test and settings (LBSTestMode)"
    > Click on "SUPL/CP Setting"
    > In the SERVER FQDN Type, you should see it set as "Custom config"
    > Change this to "AUTO config"
    > Go back one step and "Delete GPS Data"
    > Reboot phone
    > Go to "Settings -> Location and security -> re-tick Use wireless networks"
    > Activate GPS (might wanna go outside) and wait for a lock (mine took about 2 min.)
    > You're now set go :D

HAPPY TESTING :D:D:D

BTW: Firmware is DOC's XWJPA 7.6.2 w/YA-OK 1.31

EDIT 27/11

XWJPA best GPS rom. Don't go with JM9 fix if you're on WXJPA. JM9 is quite good - but it's not better than XWJPA (in my tests)! I tested this as written above, by monitoring sat.lock + S/N with "GPS Test" sw from Chaincross.

So yesterday I installed DOC's XWJPA v8, hence my JM9 gps-fix was overwritten. So started testing again and to my big suprise I saw an even more stable sat.lock (not jumping around) and a better S/N ratio (33-45).

This is by having the settings "as is" with std. firmware! Well not quite, cause there is actually one small tweak that I do - and I don't know if this is related or not, but I strongly believe it works, and it results in 9-11 sat.lock with high S/N.

The tweak is:
    > Go to "Secret Codes"
    > Click on "Application Settings"
    > Scroll down to "Accuracy"
    > Change this to 40 (50 is default). Tried different values from 20-100, but 40 gives the best result
    > Reboot phone
    > Go outside (or go to a window) and start GPS Test. Face phone vertical for best reception
    > Wait for a solid lock, that is 8-10 sats
    > Done and ready to go

IMPORTANT
    Always be sure that you have a proper sat.lock before moving around! This has shown to be THE biggest cause to error and a very jumpy GPS performance. Also, as mentioned, the SGS gets the best GPS signal while facing vertical and not with any fingers on the back. So if you use in your car, get a holder!

With these setting I alwys get a lock within max 30 sec and typical to 5-10 sec. This together with constant lock on 8-12 sats (typical 9-11) while driving around.

My Wisepilot Navigation sw is truly rocking with these settings and it hasn't lost me even though I tested it through some very-tiny-close-to each-other-parallel-roads in between blocks.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EDIT 3/12

Now running Doc's v9 of XWJPA and GPS is still rock solid (changed accuracy to 40, as mentioned above). Truly happy with the GPS now

:D:D:D
    I make for Doron the JM9 GPS update he asked.
    You can try it yourself :)

I already mannaged to put it in my next rom and i think its the best Gps for now.

Pilotx
    you might wanna edit your thread title, make it more outstanding/serious sounding. [GPS Fix for Froyo firmwares based on JM9's Drivers] or something.

maybe you can edit your first post with the URL to the GPSfix thing. with a small tutorial?

people don't actually read threads around here as you already know, you're gonna create a pile-up lol.

hell you can just copy mine straight up.

E: hell. this improved my GPS in static home by >500%! literally! I usually only see 1 sat. with no fix. now i'm seeing 6sats with 3-4 fixes. wow, i never dreamed that i'll actually lock to sats from where i'm at at home. lol. awesome. thanks for the share. shall go for a drive later to try it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I heard a lot of opinions saying that the GPS on Eclair JM9 is very good, near perfect. As you know, we can't say that on JPO, WJPA and all Froyo versions.

And is it possible to create a fix for the GPS for Froyo, based on the firmware from JM9 so the performance of the GPS on Froyo will significantly improve?

So, thanks to PilotX(his post here) for creating a flashable zip via recovery with JM9's GPS files inside.

***Using this is at your own risk but in no way will you generate the same result as some did. Although people have been reporting on better GPS after applying this "fix", it's still your own decision to make.***

Tutorial
    Using CWR, choose "Install from sdcard" and browse to that zip file, then flash it.

After that, download an application called "SGS Tools"
    Browse to Secret Codes > GPS Test and Settings > Delete GPS data.
    Yeeeaah - finally GPS in SGS is rocking

Allright - well I actually did two tweaks at the same time here. So what is really giving the improvement, is hard to say. But my conclusion is that the tweaks improves the gps vastly!

Here's how I tested. I used the GPS Test software from Chartcross (download from Marked) to see how stable the reception is. The more constant the bars are, the better the reception/lock are.

Yesterday I drove home from work (Doc's XWJPA) with GPS test app open. I monitored how the bars would change and even sometimes completly disappear! My Wisepilot Navigation even had a hard time telling my wether I was driving on the road or not! Ok - no further test needed - it was obvious that gps wasn't working that good.

So, I installed this GPS fix + did a tweak, which I explain further down and then drove to work this morning. Whhhaaaaat - highly interesting result! This morning there was only very little disturbance on the bars from GPS test app. And I even had several green bars plus a constant sat-lock on 9-11 satelites - impressive! Opened google maps, to see how my position was acc. to maps and just by looking - it was spot on the road. No next to or anything - just spot on! And this was while it was snowing, not much but it did snow!

The most interesting part is that it seems to be way more consistant with this GPS fix + tweak. So the following days I will test more to see if this really is the thing. So far I'm highly impressed.

Tweak II
    Allright - this is actually from a youtube video, so credits goes to the dude that found out. Here are the steps.
    > Go to "Settings -> Location and security -> untick Use wireless networks"
    > Go to "Secret Codes"
    > Click on "SUPL/CP Setting"
    > In the SERVER FQDN Type, you should see it set as "Custom config"
    > Change this to "AUTO config"
    > Reboot phone
    > Go to "Settings -> Location and security -> re-tick Use wireless networks"
    > Activate GPS (might wanna go outside) and wait for a lock (mine took about 2 min.)
    > You're now set go :D

HAPPY TESTING :D:D:D

BTW: Firmware is DOC's XWJPA 7.6.2 w/YA-OK 1.31