Any advice on a new smartphone purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

horatioq

Jul 8, 2013
Hey, guys! I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on buying a new smartphone. I guess my main priority is something that is easily rooted so I can install custom roms.

Right now I'm stuck between Google's Nexus 5 and Samsung's Galaxy 5s. I'm not sure if I really need to root the Nexus 5 though, as I've been running CyanogenMods Jelly Bean on my HTC for nearly a year, and am very happy with that. I assume KitKat is an improved/smoother version of Jelly Bean? And I really like the simplicity of it, without any preinstalled firmware, which I know the Galaxy is shipped with. On the other hand, the Galaxy is clocked at 2.5 while the Nexus is at 2.3, but both do have the same Quad-core processor, so are they going to feel pretty much the same performance wise?

Another thing I'm considering is when the next Nexus/Galaxy is due. I guess it would be wiser to wait if the next model in line is dropping in a couple of months or so. So any rumours in that?

Any advice is appreciated, but I hope someone with hands on experience with both phones can provide some input. And do feel free to suggest any other smartphone on the market as well! Thanks in advance, guys!

munlar

Nov 4, 2013
What I can tell you, if you like up to date stock ROM, go with the nexus. Samsung doesn't update most its phones to make you buy new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.