Apps to SD: Might sound crazy

Search This thread

jaynoonan

Feb 8, 2009
California
I am willing to pay someone to partition this the right way. I spent over 6 hours trying to get this entire process to work and ......ZERO

I need apps to SD bad so I am willing to pay for someone's help:eek:

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
You know... that's not a bad idea. I would even pay to have my data transferred if I was to consider replacing my 8gb with a higher capacity card (like say... 16 gb). I was wondering if it would mess something up if I was to purchase a new card, partition it and transfer all of it myself. Unfortunately I am not too confident in myself because it was a pain in the butt to get it partitioned right the first time. There has to be someone in here with the knowledge and the funds available that would be willing to turn a quick profit.

8gb SDHC =<$20
Partitioning= $10
Data Xfer = $20

Total would still be cheaper then buying an 8gb SDHC at Best Buy and this person would be turning a 2x profit! P&H wouldn't cost any more then a first class stamp for U.S. too. Not a bad idea.

sonikamd

Jan 7, 2008
wish I had the know how to do it through a remote connection. "Put the money in paypal, plug in your phone and give me ten minutes"...lol

I was going to try to help with partitioning, but that seems to be the easy part then there's the adb stuff :/

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
wish I had the know how to do it through a remote connection. "Put the money in paypal, plug in your phone and give me ten minutes"...lol

I was going to try to help with partitioning, but that seems to be the easy part then there's the adb stuff :/

adb? easiest way .. use linux (since it's the basis of android) .. let's say your sd mounts to the system as "sdd" .. you create two folders on your desktop as sdd1 and sdd2 to hold the files .. your first partition is FAT32 so you can just click-and-drag files .. from Terminal copy your EXT2 files:

sudo cp -a /media/sdd2/* /home/LucidREM/Desktop/sdd2

so now on your new card .. you unmount .. create a partition for FAT32 called "SDD1" .. you create the second primary partition "SDD2" for EXT2 .. then from Terminal:

sudo cp -a /home/LucidREM/Desktop/sdd2/* /media/sdd2

again .. your FAT32 partition is just click-and-drag .. this is how i did mine and it worked .. can't say how difficult or easy it is for anyone .. but it takes me about 2min .. i'd do remote server for someone but i tried once and found it difficult to navigate thru firewalls and internet BS via linux .. but i think that was also linux -> windows .. maybe linux -> linux would work better

sonikamd

Jan 7, 2008
Ahhh, I'm finally starting to understand the linux shell a little better, which it seems like adb is just an emulator for?
A few days ago I thought most the commands here had to do with moving the rom files around..guess not :p

Anyway, thanks LucidREM.

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
Ahhh, I'm finally starting to understand the linux shell a little better, which it seems like adb is just an emulator for?
A few days ago I thought most the commands here had to do with moving the rom files around..guess not :p

Anyway, thanks LucidREM.

yea .. the adb is just a way to break into the shell of the phone and run commands via usb .. so you can still run commands on Terminal on the phone or Terminal on linux directly to the card via card reader .. adb is just the short way for users of windows to not have to deal with Terminal and/or the second OS

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
umm..
have you looked at all the threads about doing this?
if u REALLY you cant do it, i'd be willing to do it for you over logmein remote desktop connection, only thing i can think of, if you interested pm me

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
So doing this via remote desktop, would I have to install anything new on my computer? Also I'm on XP, would that be a problem?

akhedraki

Feb 13, 2009
anaheim hills, ca
Just to give my advice...i had a lot of trouble trying to get my SD card partitioned and the apps moved to it....finally got it today...

Basically, I used a full version of paragon partition manager to create the EXT2 partition...I think one of the things I was doing wrong before MIGHT have been making the partition a logical disk and not a primary disk. It could also just be that I have no idea how to use the adb shell...its really starting to piss me off...

in any case, I used the Terminal emulator method, and it worked just fine...

what kind of sucks is that when you make the move, the android market doesn't think you have the apps installed anymore, so when you go to "my downloads" , all the apps you've downloaded and installed say "free" again instead of "installed"... this wouldnt be a problem if it werent for the fact that the phone now informs you of new updates for installed apps... you'd essentially have to go back through the apps you have installed, click on "install" again, and reinstall it. At that point, the phone acknowledges that you already have it installed and informs you that it will replace the version you currently have.

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
Just to give my advice...i had a lot of trouble trying to get my SD card partitioned and the apps moved to it....finally got it today...

Basically, I used a full version of paragon partition manager to create the EXT2 partition...I think one of the things I was doing wrong before MIGHT have been making the partition a logical disk and not a primary disk. It could also just be that I have no idea how to use the adb shell...its really starting to piss me off...

in any case, I used the Terminal emulator method, and it worked just fine...

what kind of sucks is that when you make the move, the android market doesn't think you have the apps installed anymore, so when you go to "my downloads" , all the apps you've downloaded and installed say "free" again instead of "installed"... this wouldnt be a problem if it werent for the fact that the phone now informs you of new updates for installed apps... you'd essentially have to go back through the apps you have installed, click on "install" again, and reinstall it. At that point, the phone acknowledges that you already have it installed and informs you that it will replace the version you currently have.

I have tried the trial & the full version of paragon but no go on either of them. I tried the virtual machine & a live cd of ubuntu but I don't know how to use those so it didn't make sense to me. I have been down all those roads so having someone else do it for me is the only thing I haven't tried

sonikamd

Jan 7, 2008
if you've tried ubuntu live (too advanced?), maybe you'll have luck with puppy live(stripped down windows user friendly, what I used) The program you use in puppy is 'gparted' just make sure you know which drive you want to partition.

Shagman68

Apr 11, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I had Unbuntu installed on my second hard drive and everytime I'd get both partitions set and good, then it would loop back to just being the card divied in half with no fat32 or ext2. I went at it for hours, until i screwed up and left my c: drive for the the drive instead of my SD card and partitioned my C: drive losing all my Windows data and programs. Needless to say, I'm really pissed and would pay to buy a pre-partitioned fast class 6, 8gig chip at this point.

Shaggy

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
You know... that's not a bad idea. I would even pay to have my data transferred if I was to consider replacing my 8gb with a higher capacity card (like say... 16 gb). I was wondering if it would mess something up if I was to purchase a new card, partition it and transfer all of it myself. Unfortunately I am not too confident in myself because it was a pain in the butt to get it partitioned right the first time. There has to be someone in here with the knowledge and the funds available that would be willing to turn a quick profit.

8gb SDHC =<$20
Partitioning= $10
Data Xfer = $20

Total would still be cheaper then buying an 8gb SDHC at Best Buy and this person would be turning a 2x profit! P&H wouldn't cost any more then a first class stamp for U.S. too. Not a bad idea.

I'd like to see where you can find an 8GB mini for less then 20 lol