[FIX][SOLVED]Status 7 Error with CWM or TWRP Recovery on Rooted Android!

How U like my 1st post?

• Awesome

Votes: 207 53.6%
  • Not bad

Votes: 55 14.2%
  • Good

Votes: 80 20.7%
  • Awful

Votes: 44 11.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread
A

AndroTix

When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.
71.PNG

72.PNG

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.
73.PNG

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.
74.PNG

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.
5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
8c44068ac2f4.png

Step 6. Rename “updater-script.txt” back to “updater-script”.
200ad781582f.png

Step 7. Rezip all the files you’ve unzipped.
1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

Step 8. Copy the new, edited zip file to your phone.
c2fa6516847c.png

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.

Attachments

• 71.PNG
    71.PNG
    73.5 KB · Views: 36,494
  • 72.PNG
    72.PNG
    75.7 KB · Views: 36,843
  • 73.PNG
    73.PNG
    72.1 KB · Views: 35,890
  • 74.PNG
    74.PNG
    71.1 KB · Views: 35,366

pointystar

Aug 11, 2013
When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.
71.PNG

72.PNG

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.
73.PNG

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.
74.PNG

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.
5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
8c44068ac2f4.png

200ad781582f.png

1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

c2fa6516847c.png

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.

When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
Yo this a good thread dude thanks a lot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: keriy

YasuHamed

Dec 17, 2013
after all this my cwm 5+ give status 6 signature error while installing CM11 (coconut Nightly)
i have toggled signature verification too

no use

r3sonant

Jun 23, 2010
No assert found in rom

I have tried 5 different roms and twrp and cwm and noting will install. Can't find assert in any of the row either.

Dead phone and don't know what to do but have been trying to fix it for 6 hours.

Please help!

Thanks.

p605sve

May 29, 2012
Still not working

first i get error status 7 so i come here, i have made changes in script file like in this totorial, but now i get only error some kind "vertification errror" ant thats it. i have stock JB rom with cwm 5.8 recovery. Rooted and safe jb 5-5 kernel.. whats the problem?

its when i trying to install cm11 on my n7000

Last edited:
A

ashutosh.heda

Still Status 7 Error

When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.

Trying to download a custom rom to my galaxy grand n7000 and after following all ur steps accurately still persisting with the status 7 Problem..

Discoreggae

Apr 23, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Error 7 installing zipped .apk

I tried installing "incoming_call_notif_I9500.zip" to my GT-I9500 and got the error 7 Using Philz 6.19.3 but there is no assert line at all in the updater script. How to proceed ?

XisPê

Nov 29, 2012
I'm with a strange issue here.
I Can't change my recovery!

I'm on CWM 6.0.4.5 (updated of 5.8.0.4) and i'm trying to update but with no success.

First was showing the error 7 and with this tutorial and others posts it was solved.

Now the installation finishes but nothing happens. Rebooting recovery and continue with 6.0.4.5.
Even latest versions (which not have the error) is not installing. I mean, the installation finishes but no recovery is installed.

Someone has passed through this?

nozomiuser

Mar 28, 2014
Im having similar problem on my xperia s..im using CWM 6.0.3.2
I edited the script file and followed the steps, but now it says installation aborted
when ever i try to load it.

jlandry287

Jul 11, 2013
Lake Charles

71.PNG

I signed and wrote my app using Android Kitchen. For my "assert" lines, there is not "getprop" command. here is my "assert" commands:

assert(package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img"),
write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p20"),
delete("/tmp/boot.img"));

AND

assert(package_extract_file("modem.bin", "/tmp/modem.bin"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2", "/tmp/modem.bin"),
delete("/tmp/modem.bin"));

Should I delete both, only one, or neither?

lorjay589

Oct 25, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
you can also get an error 7 if there's something on the script thats not present in the build that its telling it to do like package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.sh", "/tmp/backuptool.sh"); it wasn't in the bin folder so it kept aborting.
But not just that file specifically. you have to really check the updater script. and you don't have to rename updater script to
open as a text file. you can open with notepad++

mcc23

May 30, 2013
Quick question. I attempted to install stock Sprint FW, and got a status 7 in the recovery. Install aborted and I can't seem to get back into the recovery.. Any ideas? Thanks

Basically when I boot it up it stays at the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen

edit: nvm I got back into Philz recovery..

Last edited:

pfufle

Aug 22, 2013
i was getting the status 7 error with cwm 6.0.4.7...i installed philz recovery (cwm base: 6.0.4.8 ) and i was able to get past this dreaded error...thanks...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

71.PNG

72.PNG

73.PNG

74.PNG

5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
    8c44068ac2f4.png

200ad781582f.png

1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

c2fa6516847c.png

A
    AndroTix

71.PNG

72.PNG

73.PNG

74.PNG

5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
    8c44068ac2f4.png

200ad781582f.png

1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

c2fa6516847c.png

Open up the txt file that you made. Then go to Save As and then for File Type select "All Files" and then for the File Name remove the .TXT so its just updater-script and not updater-script.txt then repack
    Thank you very much for the reply!! However, that didn't work. When I removed what you suggested, and removed the .txt extension I'm getting another error as shown in the photo. Any other suggestions?

Please check your zip file. The META-INF, system and boot.img file should be in the root of the zip and not in a folder

The structure should be

XXX.zip
    -> META-INF
    -> system
    ->boot.img
    ->other files and folder

and not like this

XXX.zip
    ->XXX
    ->META-INF
    ->system
    ->boot.img
    ->other files and folder
    No assert found in rom

I have tried 5 different roms and twrp and cwm and noting will install. Can't find assert in any of the row either.

Dead phone and don't know what to do but have been trying to fix it for 6 hours.

Please help!

Thanks.