Custom Text Tones After Oreo Update

Search This thread

z.alimohamed

Aug 27, 2011
Nairobi
Hi All,

Ever since I got the Oreo update on my S8 a couple of days back, I am not able to set custom text tones for individual contacts.

This was available, and extremely useful, on Android 7. Does anyone know how to enable this? I'm on Stock ROM. No Root, nothing customised.

Thanks.

TraumaTiger

Jul 3, 2005
Warrington
I was on the beta and rely on this a lot as I have dual sim for work and home so it's a must for me to have different tones per contact, however, during the beta Samsung removed it and I raised it as an issue. Every beta update that came out I kept raising it as an issue, at one point I got a bit irate and they actually replied saying the beta wasn't over yet and new features are always being added. Anyway, final Beta came out and still no custom tones per contact, so I have ended up installing the google messenger app that does allow you to do this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging). However, the settings are configured within the messenger app and not stored against the contact like they were previously.

PairofDeezNutz

Mar 20, 2018
I upgraded from the Note 8 to GS9+ and lost ability to assign contact specific text notification sounds. This is a downgrade since many people found this feature useful prior to Oreo. I too installed Android Messages just to restore this feature. This needs to be fixed to work with the phone's default messaging app instead of forcing people to download additional apps to get this feature. Big mistake on Oreo developers part.

Lady TN

Mar 22, 2018
Samsung (or Google...or whomever), I just want you to know how unhappy I am with this so called Oreo update! Really?? You take away the text tone notifications?? That really sucks! Now I am being forced to download a 3rd party app (which you guys won't support) in order to get that feature back?!?!?! This is a BIG disappointment. I feel that I have been let down! You guys could have kept all the features like GIF and all of the other things you added. They are not half as important to me as the individual text tones were! SMH! I may have to switch over to iPhone. Yes! That's how upset I am about this!

Reactions: julie966

Makaylamcshan

Mar 22, 2018
I switched from iPhone to android for all the bonuses. This feature is one I have always used and now it's been taken away??? Back to iPhone I go.

MoistTacoFart

Mar 23, 2018
GARBAGE!!

This is absolute CRAP!!! I got the update late last night on my GS8+ and realized immediately this morning with my 1st text that something had changed. Started digging and discovered the feature was gone...IRATE doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this!! The feature NEEDS to be readded!!!!

Stephens79

Mar 25, 2018
So glad I found these posts! I have digged through my phone for a week now after the update trying to find how to change the tones for my important contacts! So annoyed I cant change this! Why would they do that!!! I don't care about updated emojis, I have had the same text tone for my finance for 2 years and now it's a default tone! So now I have to look at my phone every time, instead of knowing exactly who is messaging me !! Annoyed

Reactions: petr1014

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I fail to understand the horror you are all expressing. Now is the perfect time for you to check out Textra. Forget the stock messaging app, you can not only customize your tones, but also color of notification icons, colors in chats, background images, type of notifications {heads up, floating, normal, etc.}. The advantages are numerous. Besides, isn't this the exact reason most of us use Android? If you don't like a stock app, there are enough options to replace it, you find something better.

Macklin_sob138

Mar 28, 2018
I fail to understand the horror you are all expressing. Now is the perfect time for you to check out Textra. Forget the stock messaging app, you can not only customize your tones, but also color of notification icons, colors in chats, background images, type of notifications {heads up, floating, normal, etc.}. The advantages are numerous. Besides, isn't this the exact reason most of us use Android? If you don't like a stock app, there are enough options to replace it, you find something better.

I downloaded Textra and do not see an option that fixes the problem. I find this a big step back as I used the feature to make it easy to identify if my wife or kids were texting me.

Macklin_sob138

Mar 28, 2018
Open Textra, open a conversation, press button in upper right, select "customize this conversation", now select "notifications".

Thanks got it. Liking the ability to customize a lot wth this. It is a shame it won't let you pick a custom background but it is making it easy to tell at a glance who I am chatting with.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks got it. Liking the ability to customize a lot wth this. It is a shame it won't let you pick a custom background but it is making it easy to tell at a glance who I am chatting with.
You can set custom bubble colors, if that helps. I never even used the stock messaging app. I like using custom notification colors with custom led colors and sounds, so I know even when my phone is muted and the screen off.

Anarchist198321

May 9, 2018
Another option is to download a soundboard, I have an samsung s8 and I updated to oreo and downloaded a metal gear soundboard and it works great!

skynet93

May 7, 2016
Fix

Download Android Messages and do the following;

Tap the Conversation you wish to set a custom notification for.
Tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner of the screen.
Tap People & options.
Tap Notifications.
Tap Sound.
Tap your desired tone.
Tap Save.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung (or Google...or whomever), I just want you to know how unhappy I am with this so called Oreo update! Really?? You take away the text tone notifications?? That really sucks! Now I am being forced to download a 3rd party app (which you guys won't support) in order to get that feature back?!?!?! This is a BIG disappointment. I feel that I have been let down! You guys could have kept all the features like GIF and all of the other things you added. They are not half as important to me as the individual text tones were! SMH! I may have to switch over to iPhone. Yes! That's how upset I am about this!
    So glad I found these posts! I have digged through my phone for a week now after the update trying to find how to change the tones for my important contacts! So annoyed I cant change this! Why would they do that!!! I don't care about updated emojis, I have had the same text tone for my finance for 2 years and now it's a default tone! So now I have to look at my phone every time, instead of knowing exactly who is messaging me !! Annoyed
    I downloaded Textra and do not see an option that fixes the problem. I find this a big step back as I used the feature to make it easy to identify if my wife or kids were texting me.
    Open Textra, open a conversation, press button in upper right, select "customize this conversation", now select "notifications".