All things ME7 discussion here

Search This thread

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
As there are multiple posts/thread about ME7 issues and challenges, going to make this here thread the general clearing house for this topic.

Let's use this thread for discussion and not make any more general threads on this topic, OK?

now, here are two links to two recent threads, Have since closed them, but referencing them for information and discussion here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417567

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417291

All XDA posting rules apply...

Let's solve this riddle, shall we?

Aug 23, 2013
What's the outlook? Any updates on whether or not it will happen? I just got a 32gb s4 from big red, with me7 naturally, and am now strongly considering leaving for T Mobile even though getting a 32gb for them sounds like a pain.

jd07bos

Mar 23, 2012
Boston
I just went to 5 different retailers hunting for an MD phone and no one has one to my dismay. Maybe I should just settle for the HTC One if both of my options are locked devices.

Picked up my gs4 recently, wish I still had my note 2 :banghead:

Sent from my still locked down bootloader Galaxy S4 on Verizon

SpookySager

Aug 23, 2013
The last real update I saw was in the Bounty Discussion thread where Obsidian sent the ME7 boot img to hashcode so I don't know if they are working on something or not. Maybe one of them can chime in and offer an update or give us some hope. Thanks to all those working on this!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
Have there been any phones that have came out thus far that haven't been able to be rooted? Seems like people easily got around every attempt to lock down android thus far so my hopes are high for this. However it does seem like a long time has passed with quite the sum of money at hand.

Southern_mind

Mar 22, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Have there been any phones that have came out thus far that haven't been able to be rooted? Seems like people easily got around every attempt to lock down android thus far so my hopes are high for this. However it does seem like a long time has passed with quite the sum of money at hand.

Phone is rooted just not with recovery or any kind of emploit on the bootloader.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
Phone is rooted just not worth recovery or any kind of emploit on the bootloader.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

err ya my bad I meant bootloader/recovery cracked. I know they had to safestrap the razr line but I think eventually they even cracked that. And even so anything to install custom roms would be great even if safestrap type solutions are kind of annoying to use.

bestcoast

Oct 17, 2012
I am definitely ready for a new ROM too. Touchwhiz is depressing haha. I'm definitely surprised there isn't more people trying to unlock the bootloader with such a big bounty on the table.

DeerSteak

Jul 25, 2011
My new replacement S4 came with MDK. If I unlock the bootloader before upgrading to ME7, does ME7 re-lock it? I'm putting off the upgrade notice until I know for sure.

jcwilliams

Dec 5, 2010
I hate stock lol I should have done some research before I got this phone.

Im use to flashing with my bionic and d1. Now I'm just bored lol

I looked into the new moto phone but it don't have a ext sd which is a no for me.

bfmetcalf

My new replacement S4 came with MDK. If I unlock the bootloader before upgrading to ME7, does ME7 re-lock it? I'm putting off the upgrade notice until I know for sure.

You cant actually unlock the bootloader, there is just a workaround for recovery on mdk so if you update then you lose recovery. I think there is a stock rom in development that leaves out yhe bootloader and is rooted...

CrookedKnight

Nov 22, 2011

No reason to try something that risky. Root, use Loki to bypass the locked bootloader, and flash something new. There's quite a few ME7-based ROMs that you can use to get all the benefits of the upgrade without losing control of the phone.

vaeevictiss

Dec 16, 2010
Well ****, I was about to pick this phone up today. Where would it say me7 if it has it? Hoping to find one with mdk now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah, but after I went and bought a new sd card and got it formatted correctly, i still get this crap. Everyone else that has this problem on this forum seems to just miraculously figure it out....or give up i suppose. Ive gone over every page on the appropriate threads and nothing at all. Ive done everything correctly to a T several times over>.....there will soon be massive holes in these walls. Thus I must go to bed and check out these forums in the morning for an answer....I will be rooted

Notice the line that reads
    ./script.sh[1]: cd : /mnt/extSdCard/gs4ex: No such file or directory

That means that when you unzipped the root zip file, you did not recreate the directory structure.
    You should have the following on the root of your sdcard:
    gs4ex
    pwn
    README.txt
    script.sh

gs4ex is a folder, which contains busybox, Superuser.apk, and another folder called system.

Whatever you unzipped with didn't recreate the folder structure. Fix that, and you should be fine.
    I have read around quit a bit and I still don't know enough to go forward with rooting yet. So JTC...can someone chime in & answer these questions/facts...please?

I'm on MDK baseband
    1)Can I root?
    If yes then what is the root method?
    2)Can I unlock the boot loader?
    If yes then what is the method?
    3)Custom Roms available?
    4)Custom Recovery available?

I'm on ME7 baseband
    1)Can I root?
    If yes then what is the root method?
    2)Can I unlock the boot loader?
    If yes then what is the method?
    3)Custom Roms available?
    4)Custom Recovery available?

I believe you mean build, not baseband. Baseband is the radio/modem and can be changed at free will. But to clarify:

MDK:
    1) Yes. Flashable via ODIN. (There are plenty of tutorials)
    2) Yes. Sort of... Via Loki workaround. (There are tutorials)
    3) Yes.
    4) Yes.

ME7:
    1) Yes. (Look for thread)
    2) No.
    3) No.
    4) No.

As of now, ME7 has only root and nothing more.

This is the thread to look at for rooting.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2381382

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    As there are multiple posts/thread about ME7 issues and challenges, going to make this here thread the general clearing house for this topic.

Let's use this thread for discussion and not make any more general threads on this topic, OK?

now, here are two links to two recent threads, Have since closed them, but referencing them for information and discussion here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417567

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417291

All XDA posting rules apply...

Let's solve this riddle, shall we?
    Ok, so I am new to the Samsung family. I got my s4 like 4 months ago. I love it. I like how it is out the box but I am starting to want some more customization. I have been reading and following hashcodes thread on his progress trying to get safestrap to work. I have messed with safestrap and flashing roms before on my droid razr. So from what I understand, people ( including myself) who have the ME7 version CAN root but CANNOT install roms yet. However, since hashcode just got safestrap working for ME7, it appears that flashing of some roms work.

I am very excited because I have been keeping my eye on the Hyperdrive rom. So I guess im inquiring on what I need to do next. I know that I need to root. I need to read the thread on rooting and using Odin because I am not familiar with it. From what I have gathered, after I root I should be able to install safestrap and get a ROM flashed. Thanks for yall's help. Im going to go read some more now.

1) Root (and confirm that it 'sticks' after a reboot)

2) Install LATEST SafeStrap APK

3) Run Safestrap APK, use it to install safestrap, and press the 'reboot to recovery' button *in the safestrap app*

4) Create ROM Slot 1 (use maximum size permitted)

5) Flash a ROM.

6) Flash the kernel-modules fix zip, to ensure your wifi will work when you reboot

7) Reboot, enjoy your rom IF it works...

Not all ROMs will work... The Google Edition one works flawlessly (once the modules thing is done), but others won't even boot (Cm10.2) - the more 'radically different' the kernel used by a ROM is from stock, the less likely it is that said ROM will boot on the stock kernel (which is what we are stuck with until someone cracks the bootloader)....

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Can anyone explain what the padlock means? Sorry a newb just got the s4 and rooted and I have this at start up, I'm on me7

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

On the MDK phones, the unlocked-padlock with 'CUSTOM' showed up after you flashed a custom ROM...

On my ME7 phone (MDK was stolen) it shows up after rooting....

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

with roms out there that support me7 such as hyperdrive. is there a way to get twrp installed? i tried goo manager and 2.6.0.0 but i just got stuck in odin. Ive read people using twrp 2.5.x.x. do we need to do that?

Locked bootloader => Can't change recoveries/kernels/boot-ramdisk...

The only recovery available is SafeStrap - which is based on TWRP but has limitations due to the aforementioned bootloader issue....
    Err... What is ME7?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ME7 is short for VRUAME7. It's the build that began to really lock down the Verizon Galaxy S4.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app