[App][Updated 12-3-2010] DeliciousDroid - Delicious Bookmarks for Android v1.0.0

Search This thread

maxpower47

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
I've been developing a client app for Delicious for android and its pretty close to being ready to release! Thanks to all the guys that helped me test it! If you find any issues, concerns, or have any suggestions to make it better, let me know in this thread or by opening an issue on the project site.

* UPDATE v1.0.0
Initial Market release! No real changes over 0.5.0.

Changelog

Features

Why DeliciousDroid? Aren't there other Delicious clients already in the market? Here are some of the features of DeliciousDroid:

• Supports OAuth authentication (for Yahoo based accounts)
  • Notification of new bookmarks in inbox
  • Background sync for bookmarks and network contacts
  • Bookmarks are cached to allow offline viewing and to reduce network traffic
  • Accounts managed through Android's built-in account manager
  • New bookmarks by network contacts displayed as status updates
  • Bookmarks can be added in several ways:
    1. A menu in the app
    2. Directly from the browser via the "Share" menu
    3. By long pressing a friend's bookmark and choosing "Add"
  • Bookmarks can be edited by long pressing and choosing "Edit"
  • Bookmark details can be viewed by long pressing and choosing "View Details"
  • Bookmarks can be deleted by long pressing and choosing "Delete"
  • Bookmark titles, tags and notes are searchable from both the global search and from within the app
  • Support for live folders, add a folder to your home screen that takes you straight to bookmarks within a specific tag
  • Code is licensed under the GPL v3 and is available on Github

Note: Requires Android 2.x (API Level 5+). Android 1.5 and 1.6 are not and will not be supported.

Known Issues
These are some of the known issues in the current build of DeliciousDroid. Feel free to open an issue on the Google code project site if you encounter a bug/issue not listed here, or have an idea for an enhancement.

• Only a single Delicious account is currently supported.
  • Clicking inbox notification just takes you to the main app. As far as I can tell, delicious does not provide any way to get the contents of your inbox via the api. There is a feed for it, but it requires having a secret key that is used as a parameter.
  • Viewing the bookmark list for your network contacts only shows up to 100 bookmarks, this is a limitation of the api.
  • Syncing is handled by the OS and appears to happen every 24 hours. Froyo (Android 2.2) allows for setting a different sync interval, but I'd like to maintain compatibility with 2.1 for now.

Screenshots

5143297696_1ffa4fcb17.jpg

5142692671_10f87f2e87.jpg

More Screenshots

Installation

DeliciousDroid is available on the Android Market. Make sure and rate it up or leave a comment if you like it!

img.php

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Nice! I have *THREE* installed right now.. Two which view Delicious in two different ways, one I like the view of but it's online-only, the other I don't like the view, but it caches.. And the third to Share to Delicious.

Hopefully this one can replace all three. Having 3 is really ridiculous. :)

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
First observation; no obvious way to set up the account. No link from the application, doesn't forward you to the Accounts if it isn't set up. Just crashes. I suspect this is included in your "unelegant" mention, but wanted to say it. If there's no account set up, it should automatically send you to the Accounts settings IMO. And I think you should also make a quick link to the Account Setup page so the user can add/change, or even force a resync.

Once set up, mine synced, and I see "Network" recent but I'm seeing nothing else. Nothing in My Recent, nothing in My Tags. according to the Accounts setup, the sync is finished (It no longer says cancel sync). I tried to force it to sync again, and when I went back to the Accounts settings noticed Sync Delicious was not checked.

Maybe it didn't do this by default? It should unless you have no control over it? Once I checked this, my bookmarks showed up. Maybe I did something silly here and accidentally de-selected it.

Biggest problem so far; it seems to add random /'s onto the end of URLS!? I've got several bookmarks that won't load here, but I can load them fine on the PC. So I compared the URLs it's sending, and in my desktop it's h ttp://.....blah.html where in Android it's h ttp://....blah.html/ <-- trailing slash

So some stuff I've seen but looks like I could toss out the other 3 once they're fixed, so cheers! :)

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
First observation; no obvious way to set up the account. No link from the application, doesn't forward you to the Accounts if it isn't set up. Just crashes. I suspect this is included in your "unelegant" mention, but wanted to say it. If there's no account set up, it should automatically send you to the Accounts settings IMO. And I think you should also make a quick link to the Account Setup page so the user can add/change, or even force a resync.

Yep, that's what I meant about unelegent. I agree, it should either take you straight to the Accounts & Sync screen or at least display a message that you need to go there instead of just FC'ing. I'll try to incorporate that into the next build.

Once set up, mine synced, and I see "Network" recent but I'm seeing nothing else. Nothing in My Recent, nothing in My Tags. according to the Accounts setup, the sync is finished (It no longer says cancel sync). I tried to force it to sync again, and when I went back to the Accounts settings noticed Sync Delicious was not checked.

Maybe it didn't do this by default? It should unless you have no control over it? Once I checked this, my bookmarks showed up. Maybe I did something silly here and accidentally de-selected it.

Yea, the Sync Delicious part is not checked by default, I suppose it probably should be (or at least there should be a message or something in the My Recent or My Tags screens directing you to go check it.

Biggest problem so far; it seems to add random /'s onto the end of URLS!? I've got several bookmarks that won't load here, but I can load them fine on the PC. So I compared the URLs it's sending, and in my desktop it's h ttp://.....blah.html where in Android it's h ttp://....blah.html/ <-- trailing slash

I'll have to look in to that. Its only adding them in the cache, so don't be worried that its corrupting all your bookmarks on the server. It'll be fixed in the next build.

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
So some stuff I've seen but looks like I could toss out the other 3 once they're fixed, so cheers! :)

I forgot to ask too, what device are you testing it on? I've only tried it in the emulator and on my heroc, so I'd be interested to see if its handling other devices/resolutions fine.

Also, are you using a legacy delicious account, or a yahoo based oauth one?

ishkarioth

May 20, 2010
Working nice in 2.1 HTC Hero, but I found that every bookmark shows twice in both Recent and by tag views. And everytime I have to select a listview it asks me to open with Delicious or with... Music.

But working ok and plays nice with browser.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Yep, that's what I meant about unelegent. I agree, it should either take you straight to the Accounts & Sync screen or at least display a message that you need to go there instead of just FC'ing. I'll try to incorporate that into the next build.

It'll make the initial install a lot smoother, less confusing.

Yea, the Sync Delicious part is not checked by default, I suppose it probably should be (or at least there should be a message or something in the My Recent or My Tags screens directing you to go check it.

If you can, I'd suggest checking it by default.

I'll have to look in to that. Its only adding them in the cache, so don't be worried that its corrupting all your bookmarks on the server. It'll be fixed in the next build.

Cool. :) Odd that's getting tacked on there, but you'll fix it. :)

I forgot to ask too, what device are you testing it on? I've only tried it in the emulator and on my heroc, so I'd be interested to see if its handling other devices/resolutions fine.

Also, are you using a legacy delicious account, or a yahoo based oauth one?

Nexus One using Enom's 2.12.3 ROM (I'm a little behind, not a ROM flashing addict) and using a legacy Delicious account.

I'm going to try Sharing from the browser later, and maybe try Yahoo, although Yahoo's password management is all screwed up on my account. I can't login to IM, but I can login to Yahoo Mail, and I can't login to some other thing.. all using the same Yahoo account. Maybe I need to change the password again, maybe it'll "sync" then.

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Working nice in 2.1 HTC Hero, but I found that every bookmark shows twice in both Recent and by tag views.

If you uninstall/reinstall the app does it do it again? If so, can you provide me some more details about your setup? Delicious username, authentication type (delicious or yahoo), etc. You can PM me if you don't want to post it on here.

And everytime I have to select a listview it asks me to open with Delicious or with... Music.

Ok, I think I know what's causing that. It should be fixed in the next build, probably tomorrow.

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Installed latest version over previous version on my i9000, Yahoo OAuth account.

All the information disappeared when I entered the app.

Tried to remove the account and retry, both sync options were ticked. No information in all 3 view options. Is there a problem retrieving? Is there anyway to force a re-sync?

edit : did an uninstall, reinstalled the latest version. working again. :D

Last edited:

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Thanks....totally didn't think to hit the menu button. Did as stated above, everything is fine. :D

ishkarioth

May 20, 2010
Perfect. No more duplicated items so far, thank you, but still missing something. No more chosing between Delicious or Music when entering a list-view, but it still happens when selecting a single tag on second level. Might be the same issue, just different location so you didn't update that.

Thanks a lot, for this app and for this support.

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Perfect. No more duplicated items so far, thank you, but still missing something. No more chosing between Delicious or Music when entering a list-view, but it still happens when selecting a single tag on second level. Might be the same issue, just different location so you didn't update that.

Oops, yep, forgot that one. Its fixed for the next build. I've got a couple new features cooking up for it too, so stay tuned...

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Tried to use Yahoo today, and it FC's on me. Looks like when it calls back from the OAuth it gets a 404, which pisses off your program.

Tradition login worked but I got nothing except "recent bookmarks".

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, put in Delicious username, synced, works now. Seems like there are issues with the upgrade?

It's also possible that it's a problem I launched it before it was finished syncing? I exited, even killed the program, re-entered, still had no bookmarks synced I could see, but it was fine after the reinstall. However after the reinstall, I waited for it to finish syncing first.. Possible a problem there?

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Tried to use Yahoo today, and it FC's on me. Looks like when it calls back from the OAuth it gets a 404, which pisses off your program.

Tradition login worked but I got nothing except "recent bookmarks".

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, put in Delicious username, synced, works now. Seems like there are issues with the upgrade?

It's also possible that it's a problem I launched it before it was finished syncing? I exited, even killed the program, re-entered, still had no bookmarks synced I could see, but it was fine after the reinstall. However after the reinstall, I waited for it to finish syncing first.. Possible a problem there?

Do you currently use delicious with that account? If you've never logged in to delicious with it then it wont work. You have to go in through the main delicious site to set up a new delicious account that gets linked to your yahoo id, it doesn't create one by default.

linuxholgi

Jul 5, 2007
Sydney
Installed version 0.2.1 and works for my. This could be my favorite Delicious app. But on my Motorola Milestone (using Froyo), the font is so tiny, that I need magnify glasses to read it (looks like 4pt/5pt).

Haven't found an option to change the font size. Maybe this just occurs on high-res devices?

maxpower47

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Installed version 0.2.1 and works for my. This could be my favorite Delicious app. But on my Motorola Milestone (using Froyo), the font is so tiny, that I need magnify glasses to read it (looks like 4pt/5pt).

Haven't found an option to change the font size. Maybe this just occurs on high-res devices?

Could be, I haven't tested it on one yet. I'll get the emulator set up with the Milestone's specs and see if I can reproduce it. I'll either see if I can make a setting to change it or see if I can just detect the resolution and change it automatically.