Cant figure out how to install custom rom, without loosing root acces

Search This thread

Nepoznati

Oct 31, 2012
Dear XDA

I have been an android user for many years and rooting has been one of the things I always did to my devices. I am an owner of a Note 3, which I have rooted succesfully and used X-NOTE 13 rom for long time. Last week I wanted to try something new and after that everything seems to be impossible. Before I install any roms I always perfom full wipe of, system, data, cache, dalvik cache etc. (I do it inside the recovery). Afterwards I tried to install CRASH ROM V9 and the progress went fine. When the phone rebooted the strange things started to happened I couldn't find the rom's extra menu and couldnt find any of the functions that the rom contained. I just thought that it was problem with the rom itself therefore I tried to went back to X-NOTE, but without any luck. The X-NOTE installed probably but I couldnt boot into it, it was stucked at the "Samsung Note 3" logo. I tried to wipe cache and dalvik but without any luck and every time I rebooted from the recovery the recovery says "it seems your device doesnt have root access" and the recovery tries to gain root access.

Then I couldnt understand anything of what was happening so I went to stock using ODIN. After installing stock rom I used CF-ROOT and everythings went smooth and I could use SuperSU inside the stock rom. Then I installed a recovery and it didn't mentioned anything about root access, so I was ready to install my custom rom...at least I thought so....I installed X-NOTE again (because I knew that this rom worked before without any problems) and after the progress was done I couldnt boot into the rom again, it was stucked. I wiped the cache and dalvik and as soon I clicked reboot in recovery it tells me that I am not rooted.

Then I did the same thing again, went back to stock, installed CF-ROOT and recovery. This time I installed CRASH ROM instead and I could boot into the system, but the rom still misses the "rooted features" etc.

In other words, what have I done wrong? I cant seem to find the problem and I think that I have tried every possible solution?

Informations:
Model:
SM-N9005
STOCK ROM: Tried both N9005XXUENB4 (German) and N9005XXUENC2 (Nordic firmware)
Custom Rom: Tried both X-NOTE and CRASH ROM
Recoveries used: TWRP, CWM and Philz CWM
Kernels: Tried with stock one and X-NOTE kernel 1.5

I hope you can help me I cant live with stock roms :)

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Nepoznati

Last edited:

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
Dear XDA

I have been an android user for many years and rooting has been one of the things I always did to my devices. I am an owner of a Note 3, which I have rooted succesfully and used X-NOTE 13 rom for long time. Last week I wanted to try something new and after that everything seems to be impossible. Before I install any roms I always perfom full wipe of, system, data, cache, dalvik cache etc. (I do it inside the recovery). Afterwards I tried to install CRASH ROM V9 and the progress went fine. When the phone rebooted the strange things started to happened I couldn't find the rom's extra menu and couldnt find any of the functions that the rom contained. I just thought that it was problem with the rom itself therefore I tried to went back to X-NOTE, but without any luck. The X-NOTE installed probably but I couldnt boot into it, it was stucked at the "Samsung Note 3" logo. I tried to wipe cache and dalvik but without any luck and every time I rebooted from the recovery the recovery says "it seems your device doesnt have root access" and the recovery tries to gain root access.

Then I couldnt understand anything of what was happening so I went to stock using ODIN. After installing stock rom I used CF-ROOT and everythings went smooth and I could use SuperSU inside the stock rom. Then I installed a recovery and it didn't mentioned anything about root access, so I was ready to install my custom rom...at least I thought so....I installed X-NOTE again (because I knew that this rom worked before without any problems) and after the progress was done I couldnt boot into the rom again, it was stucked. I wiped the cache and dalvik and as soon I clicked reboot in recovery it tells me that I am not rooted.

Then I did the same thing again, went back to stock, installed CF-ROOT and recovery. This time I installed CRASH ROM instead and I could boot into the system, but the rom still misses the "rooted features" etc.

In other words, what have I done wrong? I cant seem to find the problem and I think that I have tried every possible solution?

Informations:
Model:
SM-N9005

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Nepoznati

weird.
all the rom you mentioned xnote & crash come with root access inside.
When you said you used all those 3 recoveries, did you try each rom with each recovery ?
and when you flash those rom, did you follow to do a clean full wipe as mentioned on each OP thread ?
clean full wipe is not only wipe cache and dalvik, but also the data (factory reset).

Reactions: kraken77 and Khizar

Nepoznati

Oct 31, 2012
weird.
When you said you used all those 3 recoveries, did you try each rom with each recovery ?
and when you flash those rom, did you follow to do a clean full wipe as mentioned on each OP thread ?
clean full wipe is not only wipe cache and dalvik, but also the data (factory reset).

Yes I have and tried several other combinations too. First time I installed X-NOTE I wiped everything and installed X-NOTE without problems.

I cant seem to break the code, I am getting frustrated hour by hour. I have double checked everything, I am on the NC2 bootloader with the NC2 kernel, when trying to install X-NOTE I get stuck at "Samsung Glaxy Note 3" - I cant understand what the problem may be and it is beginning to be personal :/ heheh

But seriously what could I have done wrong?

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
Yes I have and tried several other combinations too. First time I installed X-NOTE I wiped everything and installed X-NOTE without problems.

I cant seem to break the code, I am getting frustrated hour by hour. I have double checked everything, I am on the NC2 bootloader with the NC2 kernel, when trying to install X-NOTE I get stuck at "Samsung Glaxy Note 3" - I cant understand what the problem may be and it is beginning to be personal :/ heheh

To be frank... I have no idea. U flash before earlier, means u know how to flash it.
What I could think of, is just the recovery.
I ve been using cwm chenglu all this time (the one reported with less bugs, and most recommended at any rom thread). And jump from rom to rom every 1 week at least with no issue.
I will try tonite use twrp to flash rom. I will let u know if I face any problem.

Nepoznati

Oct 31, 2012
SOLVED

To be frank... I have no idea. U flash before earlier, means u know how to flash it.
I ve been using cwm chenglu all this time (the one reported with less bugs, and most recommended at any rom thread). And jump from rom to rom every 1 week at least with no issue.
I will try tonite use twrp to flash rom. I will let u know if I face any problem.

Finally, finally and finally solved!

Well it seems strange but the problem was the official kernel inside the stock roms that made it almost impossible to run any custom rom.

What I did to solve the problem:
1. Went back to stock rom using a rom with the newest baseband NC2, ex. N9005XXUENC2
1a. I did have som problems getting the bootloader updated, which means I was force to install it over ODIN 3.09 - use this bootloader NC2 BOOTLOADER (Thanks soloilmeglio for the bootloader)
2. I used CF-ROOT to gain root access
3. Then I installed CWM 6.0.4.8 recovery as recommended from antique_sonic (Updated few hours ago!)
4. Install the CivZ-SnapKat-Rev3.1-sm_n9005-4.4.2.zip kernel
5. Lets the phone reboot and check that everything works!
7: Boot into recovery and wipe system, data, cache, dalvik cache
8. Install the custom rom

Dont ask me why the kernel wasn't working from beginning and why it was "corrupted" after installing another custom rom - but now everything works as it should!

Thank you very much antique_sonic for helping me!

Reactions: antique_sonic

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth

Well it seems strange but the problem was the official kernel inside the stock roms that made it almost impossible to run any custom rom.

1. Went back to stock rom using a rom with the newest baseband NC2, ex. N9005XXUENC2
1a. I did have som problems getting the bootloader updated, which means I was force to install it over ODIN 3.09 - use this bootloader NC2 BOOTLOADER (Thanks soloilmeglio for the bootloader)
3. Then I installed CWM 6.0.4.8 recovery as recommended from antique_sonic (Updated few hours ago!)

Dont ask me why the kernel wasn't working from beginning and why it was "corrupted" after installing another custom rom - but now everything works as it should!

Good then to know ur phone is okay. :)
I fully wipe with twrp last nite. And flash xnote. Hang at boot after done.
Fully wipe again, and flash assassins. A lot fc here and there.
I flash back cwm chenglu, full wipe, and flash back xnote. Now it runs nicely.

My phone not suit with twrp.

Reactions: kraken77

Nepoznati

Oct 31, 2012

It could probably be a problem with TWRP as you mentioned earlier. After using CWM everything went smooth after updating my kernel. Last night I couldnt hold me back to try one more time, and I flashed X-NOTE with TWRP and I got the same problem as described in #1 post. Then I installed CWM and flashed X-NOTE again and everything got messed up. Then I restored everything, force installed the kernel and bootlaoder. After that installed CWM and then I was able to run X-NOTE without any problem.

I am not a professional developer but I may think that the problem is TWRP when it tries to flash the kernel under the process with may results in some problems. When using CWM from the beginning I do not get any problems but when using TWRP I need to restore everything back.

Reactions: antique_sonic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA

Informations:
    Model:
    SM-N9005

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Nepoznati

weird.

SOLVED

It could probably be a problem with TWRP as you mentioned earlier. After using CWM everything went smooth after updating my kernel. Last night I couldnt hold me back to try one more time, and I flashed X-NOTE with TWRP and I got the same problem as described in #1 post. Then I installed CWM and flashed X-NOTE again and everything got messed up. Then I restored everything, force installed the kernel and bootlaoder. After that installed CWM and then I was able to run X-NOTE without any problem.

I am not a professional developer but I may think that the problem is TWRP when it tries to flash the kernel under the process with may results in some problems. When using CWM from the beginning I do not get any problems but when using TWRP I need to restore everything back.