[Q] having issues with 2 new droid maxx (unlocked BL)

Search This thread

traccdma

Oct 17, 2009
I'm having big issues with two new Droid Maxx phones. Consumer edition with BL unlock. These shipped with Android 4.4, and I unlocked the bootloader fine. Loaded TWRP 2.7 fine.

On the first phone, I had a problem immediately when trying to downgrade to 4.2.2. Per the guides I downloaded the 4.2.2 files and used mfastboot to push all but the gpt and motoboot files. fastboot flash system system.img failed at the very end with a strange error 'sp error space is not enough'
What I tried to do to fix: A) I went back through, trying to push the 4.4 files, and I find it gives that same sp error regardless of the version file. B) I tried pushing boot.img as system and it did save.

When I do the exact same steps on phone #2, they complete fine.

I suspect this is a partition/sizing issue, but flashing the gpt from 4.4 and rebooting does not fix the sp error. Can someone on this forum help me diagnose this further? Perhaps getting a partition output from phone and comparing it to the output from phone 2? I would need commands to type this in using fastboot, twrp, etc.

-
android-sp-error.jpg

The second issue is that although TWRP 2.7 works fine,
with either phone 1 or 2, if I perform a backup of system/user/boot, and immediately do a restore of the backup it just made, the phone starts doing continuous boot loops. (?). If I restore JUST the system then it will boot correctly.

I also tried using phone #1 by restoring a backup file saved from phone #2. it gives an error after restoring boot saying restore failed for image/system. any ideas?

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Two things...try the previous version of TWRP. I believe there were other threads mentioning issues on the Maxx with 2.7. Second, I got the exact same issue trying to downgrade. I just wound up using RSD lite to flash the 4.2.2 FXZ and it worked fine after deleting some lines from the XML file. Basically if I got an error flashing, I deleted that line from the XML file, and continued that process one by one until the file successfully flashed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

traccdma

Oct 17, 2009

No luck. Before manual or RSD flashing, I removed the getvar maxsize line plus flash gpt & motoboot lines. Can someone confirm this is necessary (since my device came new with 4.4 already loaded--I don't want to brick)??

On phone #1, still fails with the same error 'sp space not enough' when writing system
On phone #2, succeeds with no error

Note: If I did accidentally flash an older motoboot/gpt over top of the 4.4 that shipped with phone #1, could that have caused the issue I'm having? is it fixable?

MORE INFO: Despite the error message, phone #1 is flashing properly despite giving that warning. Android system / build # / dates change depending on what version I flash with RSD or manually.

So my real issue is why do I get the text error "sp space not enough" on one phone but not the other.

I ran a "parted" utility and output of both phones' file systems is the same. phone 1 is on the left

parted.jpg

Regarding TWRP: I installed 2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4, and both phones let me do a backup of all partitions. when I do a restore straight back to the phones, they are in a boot loop. Deleting cache/dalvik cache does not fix. Advanced partition wipe of Internal storage does not fix. Advanced partition wipe of Media does fix it.

Are others with Droid Maxx "developer" able to backup then restore media partition? Could it be that everyone on this forum who uses TWRP are doing so to load custom roms so they don't ever touch media for backup/restore??

Last edited:

doogald

May 27, 2010
Regarding TWRP: I installed 2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4, and both phones let me do a backup of all partitions. when I do a restore straight back to the phones, they are in a boot loop. Deleting cache/dalvik cache does not fix. Advanced partition wipe of Internal storage does not fix. Advanced partition wipe of Media does fix it.

Are others with Droid Maxx "developer" able to backup then restore media partition? Could it be that everyone on this forum who uses TWRP are doing so to load custom roms so they don't ever touch media for backup/restore??

Somebody else reported here that same issue with restore on TWRP. It seems to be a problem on this phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2717000

Also see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688324 about TWRP 2.7

ss12108

May 12, 2011
New York
Well, I just experienced the same issue with restore lol. Was messing with a moto X rom, wiped, tried to restore my backup, and bootloop city. Lost all the pictures I took of my now sold hunting property because I had to use RSD lite :(

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rottgrub

I had the same problem on my Mini with TWRP. I've been using Philz CWM version for the ultra with no problems.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Sorry, misremembered. I'm using the Moto X version for XT1060. Probably a bad idea, but no issues with backup and restore of either stock or custom roms.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk