[Q] Returned from factory with KNOX - what do I do?

Search This thread

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Hi everyone, I just had my phone repaired at the factory, sent in with a stock T-Mobile 4.2.2 ROM, but came back with KNOX.

I HAVE NOT booted the phone up -- I put it into download mode only to see the KNOX flags. But it's probably been booted before for testing at the factory.

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn it on normally (to help with ridding myself of KNOX problems)?

Eventually, I want to root it and/or install a custom ROM.

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Hi everyone, I just had my phone repaired at the factory, sent in with a stock T-Mobile 4.2.2 ROM, but came back with KNOX.

I HAVE NOT booted the phone up -- I put it into download mode only to see the KNOX flags. But it's probably been booted before for testing at the factory.

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn it on normally (to help with ridding myself of KNOX problems)?

You can go ahead and boot up. There's nothing you can do right now at this moment that will save you versus later in time.

If they wiped your data and you're starting fresh, you may want to look into it soon as so you don't gain personal data which then you'll need to back up (extra step).

As for rooting/custom roms I cannot speak for the S4 but I can look into it if requested. But you could (I mean hopefully..) search the forums just as well as I can, so..

Hope this helps,

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: j111

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Yup, I will search away. Just good to confirm that turning it on won't do me a disservice. Thanks!!

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
Chainfire like usual. Custom recovery. Will trip Knox. But only problem is a warning message on boot up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Chainfire like usual. Custom recovery. Will trip Knox. But only problem is a warning message on boot up.

Warnings don't bother me, but I would like to have the ability to reset the KNOX flag in case the phone needs to go back for warranty repair.

Is KNOX resettable to zero in that way or is it irreversible?

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Warnings don't bother me, but I would like to have the ability to reset the KNOX flag in case the phone needs to go back for warranty repair.

It is programmatically permanent. Meaning that there isn't a method of resetting it via software but only by hardware (board replacement etc). There will soon be a Riffbox solution where you can reflash the bootloader by a serial port, you will undoubtedly have to solder the tiny wires to the microscopic solder points on the board. (Yikes) We hope to god that someone finds a knox exploit soon.

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks everyone for the replies!

WOW! Hard to believe. So no one with a newer S4 or S5 can root without voiding warranty? No going back? That's terrible.

I wonder if this means less people are rooting these days. Darn, I want to get rid of bloat, but warranty is important to me.

I assumed with the advent of the S5, someone had figured it out. Here's to hoping someone does.

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Thanks everyone for the replies!

WOW! Hard to believe. So no one with a newer S4 or S5 can root without voiding warranty? No going back? That's terrible.

I wonder if this means less people are rooting these days. Darn, I want to get rid of bloat, but warranty is important to me.

I assumed with the advent of the S5, someone had figured it out. Here's to hoping someone does.

People have been reporting that they have sent there phone in on a warranty with KNOX tripped to 0x1 and getting it back with KNOX set back to 0x0. I guess it's a hit or miss.

j111

Sep 17, 2013
How fast does KNOX increase?

Does Knox increase EVERY time you load a new ROM, or a new recovery, or re-root?

That is, once it goes to 0x1 does it stay there, or if you are playing around a lot, does it quickly go 0x2, 0x3, and up and up and up?

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Does Knox increase EVERY time you load a new ROM, or a new recovery, or re-root?

That is, once it goes to 0x1 does it stay there, or if you are playing around a lot, does it quickly go 0x2, 0x3, and up and up and up?

It stays at 0x1. Nothing happens to your phone in general. It still operates the same.

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
I think it goes up, have read in the forum about counter going up to 3+.

Pp.

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Don't know, I'm on the MDL bootloader, but have heard of the count going uo.

Pp.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
No. The knox counter does not go up. Its either tripped or it isnt.

The flash counter goes up everytime you flash something in odin, but not when you flash stuff in recovery.

Flash counter and knox are 2 different things

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.

Reactions: Kriptik210

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
No. The knox counter does not go up. Its either tripped or it isnt.

The flash counter goes up everytime you flash something in odin, but not when you flash stuff in recovery.

Flash counter and knox are 2 different things

This is directly from the source:

post thumbnail
CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies Now Available For The Galaxy Note 3 On Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, And International LTE Models

Well, if you've been flashing ROMs for a while without bricking or messing up your phone, then tripping KNOX shouldn't be an issue. All KNOX is is an alarm for Samsung to know if you've done anything to void your device. So if you ever do brick your phone or anything, even if it's hardware issue on their end, they can then say you're the blame just because they know you tampered with it. Even if it's their own fault. But if you know what you're doing, then it really doesn't matter. And they still won't really know until you try and turn it in one day and they look to see if the trip counter is 0x1 or 2 or 3. If it's 0x0 then it's good to them.

?

Pp.

Sent from my Touchwiz device that never forgets apps.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
That is just not correct. Knox is absolutely not just a way for Samsung to see if you have messed with the phone.

Its a security feature to allow the device to qualify as a secure system for business use. Some enterprise software won't work if the knox flag is tripped. That allows it to be more secure as you can't simply hide root so a root checking app will still function.

This prevents data theft for businesses. That is what knox is there for. It was not put in as a warranty check.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Knox

Here is the good news. I called up samsung support about the knox issue as I am sending one of my phones out for warranty repair. I do not have knox installed on the phone in question. I asked about what is going on with knox and if it is tripped, will I not be able to utilize my remaining time on my warranty. I got forwarded to one of the experts on the warranty repair/knox solutions. The expert said that even if knox is tripped, samsung will honor warranties. The individual also said that samsung is currently phasing out knox on future systems as they got a ton of feedback on how customers disliked the "feature".

So it looks good for us consumers. :) :victory:
    That is just not correct. Knox is absolutely not just a way for Samsung to see if you have messed with the phone.

Its a security feature to allow the device to qualify as a secure system for business use. Some enterprise software won't work if the knox flag is tripped. That allows it to be more secure as you can't simply hide root so a root checking app will still function.

This prevents data theft for businesses. That is what knox is there for. It was not put in as a warranty check.

You can go ahead and boot up. There's nothing you can do right now at this moment that will save you versus later in time.

If they wiped your data and you're starting fresh, you may want to look into it soon as so you don't gain personal data which then you'll need to back up (extra step).

As for rooting/custom roms I cannot speak for the S4 but I can look into it if requested. But you could (I mean hopefully..) search the forums just as well as I can, so..

Hope this helps,

Sadly once KNOX is tripped there is no going back

It is programmatically permanent. Meaning that there isn't a method of resetting it via software but only by hardware (board replacement etc). There will soon be a Riffbox solution where you can reflash the bootloader by a serial port, you will undoubtedly have to solder the tiny wires to the microscopic solder points on the board. (Yikes) We hope to god that someone finds a knox exploit soon.