Spice Mi 500: All Things Root thread

Have you rooted your Spice Mi 500?

• Yes, I'm a Superman!

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Nope, I belong to a conservative family.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
Hi friends and spice mi 500 owners!
As local devices like mi 500 don't have a separate section for them on xda, here's a specific thread for our mi 500 where you can share everything related to the phone: ROMs, recoveries, themes, games you can play and everything that can be done on an Android.

Rooting your phone:

1. Download Bin4ry rooting tool from his thread.
  2. Install drivers on your windows pc using pdanet.
  3. Connect your phone to your pc.
  4. Unzip Bin4ry's tool and run the RunMe.bat batch script.
  5. Follow the instructions that roll in the command window and you will be done.

A big thanks to Nileshtambe for this.

ClockworkMod ported to Spice Mi 500!
  1. Download CWM or TWRP recovery.
  2. Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and transfer it to your phone's sd card.
  3. Download Mobile uncle MTK Tools from Play Store.
  4. Open the app and select update recovery.
  5. Select yes in the confirmation dialog and your recovery will be flashed.

Thank you Yuweng for porting CWM, and NileshTambe for confirming it's working.
spice_mi-500_01.jpg

Specs of Spice Mi 500:
Dimensions: 143x77.4x10.5 mm
GSM Phone,Quad-band GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900
MHz
Battery: 2400 mAh
5" TFT display with 480x800 resolution, 186.59 ppi density and 0.1361 mm dot pitch.
Weight: 205 g
Capacitive multitouch touch screen
Storage:
Internal: 2.07 GB
External: upto 32 GB
Ram: 512 MB
ROM: 4 GB

CAMERA:
Secondary/back camera: 5 megapixels with autofocus and dual LED flash
Primary Camera: 0.3 megapixel

GPS/A-GPS, proximity sensor, accelerometer

The phone is dual Sim and supports dual standby. Other hardware features include 3G, Bluetooth, Wifi and everything else generally found in a phone.

The phone can currently be ordered from saholic for inr 12,499.

Whatever follows ahead is not meant for noobs, neither for those who don't want to risk their devices. Following anything below might lead you to voiding your manufacturer warranty.

P.S. If any developer has got this device, please port clockwork mood recovery to this device. If you have got any specific rooting method that worked for your mi 500, post it below our pm me.

Last edited:

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Received my Spice Mi-500 - running commentary

Just received it 18 hours ago - this will be a running commentary on it. In a week's time I will post my full review

1) Looks good - not too bulky
2) Screen resolution is 800x480 - but its not pixelated. Screen bright and colors look accurate
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this (NB: changing the camera settings on contrast, color, etc does nothing and photos still look pretty bad)
4) No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is this not present or has this not been activated??
5) The CPU and GPU are pretty good - MTK6577 dual core 1Ghz processor is fast and Antutu benchmark scores are very close to the Samsung S2. GPU works well on HD games (not fully tested)
6) Software is android 4.0.4 - not too many tweaks by Spice. A few preinstalled apps like TOI, dhingana, etc
7) Very responsive and fluid - no hangups or crashes yet
8) Battery life seems fine (but, not fully tested). GPS sucks away battery at the rate of 1% per minute. 3G usage is not as battery hungry

18hr report - great value for money phone - desperately needs a software update to fix the camera bug

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
Hello Vind_r,
Welcome to xda (I noticed it was your first post) and also to this thread.
Have you had any prior experience with any Android smartphone? Do you know rooting and stuff? If yes, then please check out if the processor given in the original post works for the mi 500 or not.
If no, you might want to check out the [URL ="http://www.droidiser.com/2012/07/must-have-apps-for-android-beginners.html"]list of must have apps for your new Android phone.[/URL]

Coming to the benchmark thing, can you post a screenshot/snap of the benchmark screen showing the results. Also try out the quadrant benchmark score and post it here so that we can compare it with some other devices. You're the only one here (at present) who is having the device, that's why I am asking you to do so much stuff :p

Last edited:

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this

Try alternative camera apps from the play store. Search for "camera"to get few relevant apps.

No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is
this not present or has this not been
activated??

Try this compass application:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devuni.compass&hl=en

If it works fine, your device has a magnetic sensor. Android phones most probably have a magnetic sensor.

rjunraj

Apr 4, 2012
surat
Just received it 18 hours ago - this will be a running commentary on it. In a week's time I will post my full review

1) Looks good - not too bulky
2) Screen resolution is 800x480 - but its not pixelated. Screen bright and colors look accurate
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this (NB: changing the camera settings on contrast, color, etc does nothing and photos still look pretty bad)
4) No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is this not present or has this not been activated??
5) The CPU and GPU are pretty good - MTK6577 dual core 1Ghz processor is fast and Antutu benchmark scores are very close to the Samsung S2. GPU works well on HD games (not fully tested)
6) Software is android 4.0.4 - not too many tweaks by Spice. A few preinstalled apps like TOI, dhingana, etc
7) Very responsive and fluid - no hangups or crashes yet
8) Battery life seems fine (but, not fully tested). GPS sucks away battery at the rate of 1% per minute. 3G usage is not as battery hungry

18hr report - great value for money phone - desperately needs a software update to fix the camera bug

Can u plz post antutu,quadrant,nenamrk,nenamark 2 scores?
Is it scratch resistent?
which you is present in this phone?
does it gets heated?
is it really 200 grams ?
how is the battery life on heavy usage?
can it play nova and gta or any HD game like those?
how are all the sensors?
how is web browsing?
does second Sim gets disabled while first has data connection on?
does the screen gets fingerprints?
is the body made of cheap plastic our and solid material?
how does it feels in hand? is it easy to carry and has a comfortable grip?
can it be really used with single hand i mean can your fingers reach every party of the screen?

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Mi-500 benchmark

Hello Vind_r,
Welcome to xda (I noticed it was your first post) and also to this thread.
Have you had any prior experience with any Android smartphone? Do you know rooting and stuff? If yes, then please check out if the processor given in the original post works for the mi 500 or not.
If no, you might want to check out the ]

Coming to the benchmark thing, can you post a screenshot/snap of the benchmark screen showing the results. Also try out the quadrant benchmark score and post it here so that we can compare it with some other devices. You're the only one here (at present) who is having the device, that's why I am asking you to do so much stuff :p

I have experience rooting a lot of android devices - I have had android phones and tablets and have rooted/unlocked/hacked/installed custom rom/etc on them all!!. But I am not going to root/hack/customise my mi-500 for the next month - want to check out how all the hardware/software parts work before I start tweaking it. In a month of so, I will definitely start customising my mi-500 and I will certainly report back on this forum.

Coming to the benchmark, I have attached the Antutu benchmark scores - scores quite well (especially when one considers the price). But, am not a big believer in benchmarks - like real-life testing using real-world apps. The processor seems quite capable - In 1 day of mild usage, my Mi-500 has been very smooth, very fluid - does not hang/stutter or slow down in anything mild. I have browsed extensively using the stock browser, played a couple of casual games, recieved/sent emails, opened pdfs/ppts/doc/xls etc using kingsoft - basically used it non-gaming, work purposes - processor has handled it well. Will start throwing more intensive things at it over the weekend and will report back. Have not tested the GPU extensively - another thing I will do this weekend

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-10.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-26.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 681

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Try alternative camera apps from the play store. Search for "camera"to get few relevant apps.

Try this compass application:

If it works fine, your device has a magnetic sensor. Android phones most probably have a magnetic sensor.

Have used multiple camera apps - all end up looking similar - there seems to be some weird OS/firmware level bug that creates horrible pictures. On the veiwfinder screen, things looks balanced - when clicked and opened, everything is over saturated. Definitely needs a software update/camera firmware update to correct this

My mi-500 does not have a magnetic sensor (or it has been deactivated at the OS level). No software recognises/identifies any sort of magnetic sensor and no compass or map app shows this either. Have used multiple android system informers/elixer/compass type apps - all report that there is no magnetic sensor.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Have used multiple camera apps - all end up looking similar - there seems to be some weird OS/firmware level bug that creates horrible pictures. On the veiwfinder screen, things looks balanced - when clicked and opened, everything is over saturated. Definitely needs a software update/camera firmware update to correct this

My mi-500 does not have a magnetic sensor (or it has been deactivated at the OS level). No software recognises/identifies any sort of magnetic sensor and no compass or map app shows this either. Have used multiple android system informers/elixer/compass type apps - all report that there is no magnetic sensor.

Does anyone else with a Mi-500 also have the same camera problems? And does any other Mi-500 have a compass/magnetic sensor in it?? Could I have received a dud Mi-500 with these two problems?

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Can u plz post antutu,quadrant,nenamrk,nenamark 2 scores?
Is it scratch resistent?
which you is present in this phone?
does it gets heated?
is it really 200 grams ?
how is the battery life on heavy usage?
can it play nova and gta or any HD game like those?
how are all the sensors?
how is web browsing?
does second Sim gets disabled while first has data connection on?
does the screen gets fingerprints?
is the body made of cheap plastic our and solid material?
how does it feels in hand? is it easy to carry and has a comfortable grip?
can it be really used with single hand i mean can your fingers reach every party of the screen?

1) Antutu benchmark posted - please above
2) Have not tested the screen for scratch resistance. Will not test it deliberately - but, it will be evident in a month or two if it is.. Will reprt back
3) It does not get heated under normal and 3g use. Top of screen gets heated when charging - makes it very difficult to hold to ear for ~2-3 mins after charging - cools down soon though
4) Battery life not yet fully tested - but has lasted whole day with 3G on and intermittent use
5) Have not played any HD game on it yet
6) No magnetic sensor/compass - do not know if this is a bug in my phone or if it is omitted altogether or it it needs to be activated at firmware/OS level through a software update. But - at the moment, no compass - no gyroscope. All other sensors present - proximity, accelerometer, etc
7)We browsing is super smooth using stock browser - dual core processor really helps (+ ICS browser is quite good)
8) If 3G is on on the master SIM, then data can be used on the 1st sim and 2nd sim is active also (for calls only)
9) Spice have sent it with a screenguard on - leaving it on for 1-2 weeks. So, havent checked if screen is oleophobic or regular
10) It is indeed 200g. It has a second flip cover based back cover also included in the package - if you remove the stock back cover and put this flip cover, then the weight goes up by 10-15%
11) Feels comfortable to hold. Of course with a 5 inch screen, no way can you do everything one handed - you need two hands or to keep it on a table for some activities
12) Material is white with a silver trim on the side - all plastic. Feels decent

rjunraj

Apr 4, 2012
surat
1) Antutu benchmark posted - please above
2) Have not tested the screen for scratch resistance. Will not test it deliberately - but, it will be evident in a month or two if it is.. Will reprt back
3) It does not get heated under normal and 3g use. Top of screen gets heated when charging - makes it very difficult to hold to ear for ~2-3 mins after charging - cools down soon though
4) Battery life not yet fully tested - but has lasted whole day with 3G on and intermittent use
5) Have not played any HD game on it yet
6) No magnetic sensor/compass - do not know if this is a bug in my phone or if it is omitted altogether or it it needs to be activated at firmware/OS level through a software update. But - at the moment, no compass - no gyroscope. All other sensors present - proximity, accelerometer, etc
7)We browsing is super smooth using stock browser - dual core processor really helps (+ ICS browser is quite good)
8) If 3G is on on the master SIM, then data can be used on the 1st sim and 2nd sim is active also (for calls only)
9) Spice have sent it with a screenguard on - leaving it on for 1-2 weeks. So, havent checked if screen is oleophobic or regular
10) It is indeed 200g. It has a second flip cover based back cover also included in the package - if you remove the stock back cover and put this flip cover, then the weight goes up by 10-15%
11) Feels comfortable to hold. Of course with a 5 inch screen, no way can you do everything one handed - you need two hands or to keep it on a table for some activities
12) Material is white with a silver trim on the side - all plastic. Feels decent

How is the touch responce and scrolling?
Can u upload a video review on youtube?
I m still not sure about hd video and gaming fun and also about battery life.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

How many touch points does it have?
Spice mi 425 had 5 touch points so i guess this one would also have

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
How is the touch responce and scrolling?
Can u upload a video review on youtube?
I m still not sure about hd video and gaming fun and also about battery life.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

How many touch points does it have?
Spice mi 425 had 5 touch points so i guess this one would also have

The screen is 800x480 - but its still sharp at normal distances (its not a retina display by any stretch, but at normal viewing distances it does not matter). It has only 2 touch points - but have no complaints as it is very sensitive and the sensitivity can be dialled up or down at the OS level.

Battery life is quite good - no fully tested, but in normal usage with 3g always on and wifi off and auto brightness, even after 8 hours of moderate usage, 50% battery life is left (single SIM only - am sure if both SIMs are present and active, this will decrease the battery life)

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Spice Mi-500 is manufactured by Chinese OEM Konka - sold in China as Konka W990

Found this when I was exploring the menu options. Please find below additional details and specifications of this phone. (have also attached two photos of the W990 - obviously, other than the branding, it looks exactly same as mi-500).

Hope this information helps those of us creating custom ROMs etc.

BTW - this forum is not allowing me to post links

###################################################

Konka W990 3G WCDMA Android4.0 MT6577 Dual Core 1.0GHz Dual Sim 4.0"WVGA 5.0MP

Description:
Konka W990, 3G WCDMA, Android4.0, MT6577 Dual Core 1.0GHz, Dual Sim, 4.0"WVGA, 5.0MP, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Smartphone, Wifi, GPS, FM radio, Multi-touch, Schedule Power on/off

Brand / Model

Konka W990
CPU

CPU: MTK6577 ARMv7 Cortex-A9 Dual-core 1.0GHz

GPU: PowerVR SGX531 Ultra

OS

Android V4.0

Default English.

Memory

RAM : 512MB / ROM : 4GB eMMC

MAX supports 32GB Class 12 Micro SD Memory Card (TF-Card)

Size

143 x 77.4 x 10.5mm

Weight

205g with battery

Screen

5.0" WVGA, 480 x 800, 16M Colors (TBD),TFT-LCD

Capacitive Multi Touch Screen

Network

Dual Sim, supports W+G / G+G

2G:GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 900/1800/1900 MHz

3G:WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+: 2100MHz

Color

White

GPS

Built In GPS & A.GPS

Connection

Bluetooth with EDR & A2DP

Wi-Fi : IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, supports Wi-Fi hotspot

micro USB 2.0

Camera

Dual Camera

Back 5.0 mega pixel / Auto Focus / Flash LED

Front 0.3 mega pixel, supports Skype Video Calls

Support to shoot 3GP 720P (1280x720) with sound, Max 30 mins.

Sensor

Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor

Radio

FM

Video

AVI, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MOV, ASF, MPEG, RMVB, H.263, H.264, etc.

Audio

MP3, AAC, WAV, etc. / 3.5 mm Audio Jack, Beats Audio

Special function

G-sensor, P-Sensor, L-Sensor, FM radio, Wifi, GPS, Multi-touch, Dual SIM, Schedule Power on/off

Package Includes

- Li-ion Batteries 2350mAh x 1

- Earphone / 3.5 mm Audio Jack

- USB Cable

- Charger

vind_r

Oct 10, 2012
Found this when I was exploring the menu options. Please find below additional details and specifications of this phone. (have also attached two photos of the W990 - obviously, other than the branding, it looks exactly same as mi-500).

Hope this information helps those of us creating custom ROMs etc.

BTW - this forum is not allowing me to post links

###################################################

Konka W990 3G WCDMA Android4.0 MT6577 Dual Core 1.0GHz Dual Sim 4.0"WVGA 5.0MP

Description:
Konka W990, 3G WCDMA, Android4.0, MT6577 Dual Core 1.0GHz, Dual Sim, 4.0"WVGA, 5.0MP, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Smartphone, Wifi, GPS, FM radio, Multi-touch, Schedule Power on/off

Brand / Model

Konka W990
CPU

CPU: MTK6577 ARMv7 Cortex-A9 Dual-core 1.0GHz

GPU: PowerVR SGX531 Ultra

OS

Android V4.0

Default English.

Memory

RAM : 512MB / ROM : 4GB eMMC

MAX supports 32GB Class 12 Micro SD Memory Card (TF-Card)

Size

143 x 77.4 x 10.5mm

Weight

205g with battery

Screen

5.0" WVGA, 480 x 800, 16M Colors (TBD),TFT-LCD

Capacitive Multi Touch Screen

Network

Dual Sim, supports W+G / G+G

2G:GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 900/1800/1900 MHz

3G:WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+: 2100MHz

Color

White

GPS

Built In GPS & A.GPS

Connection

Bluetooth with EDR & A2DP

Wi-Fi : IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, supports Wi-Fi hotspot

micro USB 2.0

Camera

Dual Camera

Back 5.0 mega pixel / Auto Focus / Flash LED

Front 0.3 mega pixel, supports Skype Video Calls

Support to shoot 3GP 720P (1280x720) with sound, Max 30 mins.

Sensor

Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor

Radio

FM

Video

AVI, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MOV, ASF, MPEG, RMVB, H.263, H.264, etc.

Audio

MP3, AAC, WAV, etc. / 3.5 mm Audio Jack, Beats Audio

Special function

G-sensor, P-Sensor, L-Sensor, FM radio, Wifi, GPS, Multi-touch, Dual SIM, Schedule Power on/off

Package Includes

- Li-ion Batteries 2350mAh x 1

- Earphone / 3.5 mm Audio Jack

- USB Cable

- Charger

More information taken from the Chinese site on Konka w990 - of course, Spice have deactivated some of the Chinese specific functions like cloud storage, chinese voice recognition, chinese character input using stylus etc

Please note that the text below is taken from the Chinese website and so is obviously in highly tortured english!!!!

An atmospheric appearance, craftsmanship, taste of the election
● Konka dual-core using the large international companies, auto-sensing holster, opening the lid bright screen, closing lid put out the screen, user-friendly operation with thoughtful design, all-round for you to consider.
● innovation process stainless steel mold injection, the border is more narrow, thinner body, higher strength and feel better. The three-dimensional laser engraving process battery cover, delicate texture, comfortable non-slip.
● unique ultra-fine capacitive stylus, the industry-leading, then the complexity of Chinese characters can be accurately written, designed specifically for the Chinese people are used to.
Cortex-A9 architecture 1GHz dual-core CPU , a leading architecture, dual-core configuration, powerful performance
● Konka dual-core 40nm ultimate craft new Cortex-A9 architecture CPU 1Ghz dual-core ultra-high configuration with DDR2 high frequency memory the eMMC memory technology, performance almost equal to the top level bring more speed operation experience, the menu switch fast and smooth multitasking operating hand in hand.
● Built-in independent graphics processor GPU responsible for 2D/3D graphics calculations accelerated par with high-end performance, smooth running Need for Speed ​​Urban GT 3D fighting game, more brilliant screen.
3. support the Android4.0 operating systems, smart to experience a new upgrade
● Konka dual-core support Android4.0 intelligent operating system faster, more fluid menu to switch, and more powerful.
● innovative face recognition unlock function, quick screen shot, panorama, font adjustment, image editing, and new features, bringing a new exceptional operating experience.
4. 5.0 -inch WVGA high-definition capacitive touch screen, open full HD Horizons
● Konka dual-core with a 5.0 inch wide viewing angle, resolution up to 800 × 480 , colorful, bright and clear.
● High sensitivity capacitive touch screen, supports multi-touch, free to stretch the picture, web pages, quickly and accurately reflect the humane new experience.
5. 500 megapixel AF autofocus camera, support LED flash, easily record a wonderful life
● Konka dual-core built-in 500 million pixel high-definition camera, super photosensitive ability to support AF autofocus with LED flash, ready to record the wonderful life lens effects comparable professional digital cameras, and more support for bar code scanning, business card recognition application.
● Independent front camera, video telephony, network video chat, self-timer ... casual.
● more support 720P HD video playback, playback, and easy to record high-definition video, ready to watch, delicate and smooth screen.
. cloud computing, cloud storage, cloud application Trinity, experience Intelligent era leading technology.
● Konka dual-core super cloud computing technology and support original handwriting function, can any handwritten the hybrid input text, letters, numbers, symbols, Bifeng free to choose the color, presented exclusively for your pen wind Wencai via MMS form of microblogging, e-mail, send a share.
● support the intelligent cloud applications - KOVO - Konka intelligent cloud voice system, the leading Chinese language understanding and recognition engine to achieve a number of functions, artificial intelligence and language exchanges and communication between the user and the phone.
● support for secure cloud storage, the configuration Mycloud private cloud server, fragmentation segmentation, multiple encryption and multiple backup cloud technology, free oversized exclusive space, so you can be anywhere, anytime remote access cloud backup photos, contacts, files, etc. .

7 , WIFI , GPS , Bluetooth, everything, QQ , microblogging, living navigation, HIFI music ...... rich smart applications, unlimited wonderful all in one.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Does anyone else with a Mi-500 also have the same camera problems? And does any other Mi-500 have a compass/magnetic sensor in it?? Could I have received a dud Mi-500 with these two problems?

Confirmed that the Mi-500 does NOT have any magnetic sensor or compass (the original chinese version also excludes compass/magnetic sensor in its descriptions. So, its not just my phone - all Mi-500s lack a compass.

Tried using Google Navigate without compass - works quite well and maps out orientation well - only problem is when you are stationary - then, it does not show which direction one has to start out. But, after 5 mins of usage, did not have too many problems.

vijayar

Oct 2, 2011
Bangalore
Installing and Rooting CWM

Hi Folks

I am using ZOPO ZP900 Leader phone and since the Spice Stellar uses the same processor MTK 6577, I am sure most of you will be seeking ways and means to Install CWM and root the phone.

MTK requires a Flash Tool to load ROMs. I have made a detailed guide for Installing CWM on ZOPO which can be accessed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1899412

For video guide you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfemoi6Aizw. The method is same when using Flash tool !

Note ZOPO device comes rooted but without CWM and hence my requirement was slightly different.

You can use this method to flash CWM and use the options including making a nandroid backup, but I am not sure if flashing any of the available Su signed.zip files in this forums will effectively root this device (this was method to root the earlier Spice MI 410).

I am not a dev and maybe a dev/experienced member can comment on this.

Nevertheless this is a beginning ! If anyone make headway please do share and report for others benefit.

Also note there are many MTK 6577 devices and some have already released MODs based on Stock Rom. PLEASE DO NOT FLASH THEM since rest of the device hardware is very different !

Cheers !

Last edited:

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
Hi Folks

I am using ZOPO ZP900 Leader phone and since the Spice Stellar uses the same processor MTK 6577, I am sure most of you will be seeking ways and means to Install CWM and root the phone.

MTK requires a Flash Tool to load ROMs. I have made a detailed guide for Installing CWM on ZOPO which can be accessed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1899412

For video guide you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfemoi6Aizw. The method is same when using Flash tool !

Note ZOPO device comes rooted but without CWM and hence my requirement was slightly different.

You can use this method to flash CWM and use the options including making a nandroid backup, but I am not sure if flashing any of the available Su signed.zip files in this forums will effectively root this device (this was method to root the earlier Spice MI 410).

I am not a dev and maybe a dev/experienced member can comment on this.

Nevertheless this is a beginning ! If anyone make headway please do share and report for others benefit.

Also note there are many MTK 6577 devices and some have already released MODs based on Stock Rom. PLEASE DO NOT FLASH THEM since rest of the device hardware is very different !

Cheers !

For porting cwm use yuweng's guide present here at our xda....just search it. ...

My experience as a mtk user is that, I should better go back to samsung for any of their exynos or snapdragon...!

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
You can get the recovery.img of your stock recovery, then you can mod it so cwm can work with your android model.

If you don't already have the recovery.img file,to get it, first install terminal emulator on your phone(Your phone must be rooted for this!), then launch and type in:

$ su
# cat /proc/mtd

This should give you an output like:

dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00040000 00020000 "misc"
mtd1: 00500000 00020000 "recovery"
mtd2: 00280000 00020000 "boot"
mtd3: 04380000 00020000 "system"
mtd4: 04380000 00020000 "cache"
mtd5: 04ac0000 00020000 "userdata"

Now, check for the "recovery partition" , that is which "mtd" it's on. Here it's on mtd1, it might be different for your phone. With that info type in the terminal emulator(You should have your sdcard inserted before proceeding):

# cat /dev/mtd/mtd1(OR whichever mtd YOUR "recovery" is on) > /sdcard/recovery.img

Now upload that recovery.img file at http://builder.clockworkmod.com and see if the cwm works out for the Mi 500.

nileshtambe

Nov 11, 2011
hi i brought two mi 500 ,, 2 days prior i had brought karbon a18 for my fried
battery backup is good but not good as mi 350 , screen is better in a18 but battery sucks of karbon only 1500 ma
gps and wifi sucks battery like hell
if i play 1080dpi battery drains like hell 2-3 points per min
camera is ok not bad , face unlock which i love most....

Reactions: wildsoul09

apurv_anand

Feb 6, 2012
MI-500 and Exchange/ActiveSynch

Hi All,

Yesterday I purchased Spice MI-500. Its one good looking phone and I am loving it already. But there is a disappointment. I am not sure where the problem exists. Your inputs would be valuable.

I am trying to connect the phone to my office MS Exchange 2010 / ActiveSynch server using Email stock app. With all the credentials / settings correct, it errors out saying "Can't connect to server"

Talking to my admin, he reported this error on the server: 2012-10-12 06:52:07 10.51.1.90 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/default.eas Cmd=FolderSync&User=somename%5Cusername&DeviceId=S piceMi-500&DeviceType=Android&Log=V141_LdapC1_RpcC13_RpcL 31_Cpo19968_Fet20013_S108_Error:deviceIdNonAlphanu meric_Mbxcmail02.officedomain.com_Throttle0_Budget D <truncated>

Note: Error:deviceIdNonAlphanumeric

The device id is : Spice MI-500.

Is "-" the problem? How do I work around this? Its defeating my purpose to buy this phone as a business / smart phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi friends and spice mi 500 owners!
    As local devices like mi 500 don't have a separate section for them on xda, here's a specific thread for our mi 500 where you can share everything related to the phone: ROMs, recoveries, themes, games you can play and everything that can be done on an Android.

Rooting your phone:

1. Download Bin4ry rooting tool from his thread.
    2. Install drivers on your windows pc using pdanet.
    3. Connect your phone to your pc.
    4. Unzip Bin4ry's tool and run the RunMe.bat batch script.
    5. Follow the instructions that roll in the command window and you will be done.

A big thanks to Nileshtambe for this.

ClockworkMod ported to Spice Mi 500!
    1. Download CWM or TWRP recovery.
    2. Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and transfer it to your phone's sd card.
    3. Download Mobile uncle MTK Tools from Play Store.
    4. Open the app and select update recovery.
    5. Select yes in the confirmation dialog and your recovery will be flashed.

Thank you Yuweng for porting CWM, and NileshTambe for confirming it's working.
    spice_mi-500_01.jpg

Specs of Spice Mi 500:
    Dimensions: 143x77.4x10.5 mm
    GSM Phone,Quad-band GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900
    MHz
    Battery: 2400 mAh
    5" TFT display with 480x800 resolution, 186.59 ppi density and 0.1361 mm dot pitch.
    Weight: 205 g
    Capacitive multitouch touch screen
    Storage:
    Internal: 2.07 GB
    External: upto 32 GB
    Ram: 512 MB
    ROM: 4 GB

CAMERA:
    Secondary/back camera: 5 megapixels with autofocus and dual LED flash
    Primary Camera: 0.3 megapixel

GPS/A-GPS, proximity sensor, accelerometer

The phone is dual Sim and supports dual standby. Other hardware features include 3G, Bluetooth, Wifi and everything else generally found in a phone.

The phone can currently be ordered from saholic for inr 12,499.

Whatever follows ahead is not meant for noobs, neither for those who don't want to risk their devices. Following anything below might lead you to voiding your manufacturer warranty.

P.S. If any developer has got this device, please port clockwork mood recovery to this device. If you have got any specific rooting method that worked for your mi 500, post it below our pm me.
    Invalid imei (solved)

Invalid imei is solved just follow below steps
    * require root access *

copy file containing IMEI codes MP0B_001 with root explorer
    The file containing the IMEI codes (MP0B_001) in Android systems with processor MTK65XX, is in the following location: /data/nvram/md/NVRAM/NVD_IMEI/MP0B_001

copy it to the Desktop with Windows 2000/XP/7

Place it in a folder created called IMEI in C:\Documentes and Settings\User\ and insert the files imei.exe (which i have uploaded in attachment) and MP0B_001.

Now open a cmd window by typing start -> run -> cmd -> chdir C: \ -> chdir C: \ IMEI

Inside the cmd window, type: imei.exe[space] IMEI1 [space] IMEI2 Example : imei.exe 123456789000 123456789000

This will create a new file called MP0B_001_NEW

delete MP0B_001 file

now rename MP0B_001_NEW to MP0B_001

now connect your mobile and send this file in any folder in your mobile

now open root explorer and copy MP0B_001 ( which we make in computer ) to this location
    /data/nvram/md/NVRAM/NVD_IMEI/MP0B_001

overwrite the file and all done

now restart your mobile and your imei is restored

if this tutorial helped hit " THANX "
    Hey Nileshtambe and others, here's v2 of TWRP recovery for Spice Mi 500, check it out and tell if this time it is displaying properly.
    stock rom for mi 500 links to download cheers

http://ge.tt/4YYRNdS

contains
    Catcher Tool_V3.0906.0,
    Drivers,
    FlashTool_v5.1222.00,
    IMEI Tool KC500 Write IMEI MEID,
    Meta Tool,
    stock rom MI-500
    tested working fine thanks for proving new touch recovery its very easy to operate than conventional cmw

You can press the thanks button instead of taking in a reply, that won't count :p