wifi vs LTE versions (battery consumption, speed)

Search This thread

mitch181

Jul 31, 2014
welcomed to live in malaysia
this article claims a significant difference speed wise, in favor of the snap 800 adreno 330 combo[/url]
yes, i already have read this review, and in terms of battery it showed the difference just approx. 20 mins, whereas the performance is higher. however, this is only source of info like that... because in real usage ppl report (or suppose) about other significant advantage of p905 as a compatibility with wider range of apps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used the WiFi version for about 13 days, then returned it and plan on getting the LTE version.
    I found the WiFi version to be mostly smooth (certainly smoother than the Note 10.1 2014 edition, that uses the same processor), however it does indeed have minor lag.

Here are the reasons why I want the LTE version ( because it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) over the WiFi
    1. LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
    2. There's a wider range of compatible apps for the Snapdragon (some apps I use don't work that well with Exynos chipsets)
    3. LTE version changes faster

Of course the LTE version is more expensive and may not get updates as quickly as the WiFi version.

I'm not planning on getting the Verizon version but rather the international unlocked version.

Verizon's track record on updates is simply brutal. Be prepared that you may see one update in a year and then they will most likely stop updating all together. Picked up a 7.7 last year. Got one update and that was it. Still stuck on ICS. All the custom rom's won't let the radio work even though they say they are for the i815 (Verizon model). I got 2. One for me and one for my wife and they are basically paperweights at this point. Never again. I'll tether my Wifi versions and not be tied to a contract for a device that rarely gets an update.

As for performance, My understanding was there is no significant performance difference between the Wifi and LTE. I know the Snapdragon will charge faster but since I let mine charge overnight, this is not a big deal for me.

Also kep in mind, you can root the WiFi version. My guess is the Verizon version may not be as simple to root and there probably won't be a ton of custom roms for it either though that is just a guess based on my previous expereince with Verizon tablets.

Hi,
    I saw your post and thought I'd chime in here with a little info. I'm surprised that you returned the wifi model. The LTE version will definitely not get as many updates as the wifi model will. This is a most assuredly fact. especially if you are going to get the Verizon model. Verizon's track record is unbelievably terrible when it comes to releasing updates for their tablets. Just doing a general search on Verizon & tablets will fill your whole screen with pages and pages of complaints about this issue.

As far as the unlocked version that you mentioned I cannot really say. It will depend on the carrier that you choose to get coverage with. Just keep in mind that it is an LTE version that you are getting and there are only so many carriers. Among those carriers they themselves will have to test and approve updates as they are released by Samsung before they are rolled out to the devices themselves. So basically, when Samsung releases an update, non LTE models will get the update first. The LTE models will be limited to the software being tested an approved by the LTE provider, along with many features being locked out or removed from the software itself.

As for your post #1 that states:
    LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
    This is most definitely untrue. It has been logistically proven without objection that the Exynos Octacore processor has more brutal knockdown power under a constant minimal and or maximal load than the Snapdragon processor. You might want to look further into your research on this because their is pages of data available on the Web that show this tested data readily available for your consideration.

You mentioned the LTE version does charge faster. I can say that is definitely a fact and you are correct. However the reason they intend for the faster charging is because of the cellular intended purpose. That being said, keep in mind the faster the charge is applied, the faster the battery consumption will be also. Not to mention that with the 9500maH battery the lifespan will inevitably be shorter as well. Over time you will notice that the charges will get faster and faster then will stabilize at a certain point. However the Non LTE versions will charge more slowly, giving the battery life a more in depth charge and a longer life span.

If the only reason your are wanting the LTE version is because of the "Lag", then I just want to let you know that you should definitely test the LTE version before making your purchase. If you place them side by side and test them under a minimal and maximal load, you'll see the Exynos will have less lag than the LTE version.

Please don't take offense to my opinion. :) Im only basing my opinion on what is factual from certified research information and my experience as a developer and consumer of both products. ;)
    Here are the reasons why I want the LTE version ( because it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) over the WiFi

1. LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )

The Exynos vs. S-800 debate is no different here than it is in the N3 and N10.1-14 forums. The N12 isn't new (it's a jumbo N10.1-14 which is already five months old) and there's nothing about it h/w wise that would make it behave any differently than the devices that came before it. Exynos and S-800 are so close in performance as to be undetectable. Certain games may perform better on Adreno than Mali but it's not so biased that people are complaining. Most of the lag being reported is in transitions and apps opening/closing. Those function never move off the A7 core in Exynos and probably use two of the four S-800 cores. Throwing more powerful h/w at the issue isn't going to change anything. The lag is caused by s/w and the s/w is materially the same on Exynos and Octa versions. I have a 3G Exynos N10.1-14 and have played with European LTE S-800 versions. I couldn't detect a performance difference and neither could my friends who own the S-800 version. And any performance difference you detect between the N10.1-14 and N12 is purely related to one being on 4.3 and the other on 4.4 with modifications to Samsung's UI and most likely drivers.

2. There's a wider range of compatible apps for the Snapdragon (some apps I use don't work that well with Exynos chipsets)

Link? Outside of a handful of games there's been nothing I've seen to support your statement. The bigger issues is apps that aren't optimized for the 2560x1600 display which affects both SoC's equally.

3. LTE version changes faster

This is definitely true. Charging the Exynos devices is painfully long.
    As for your post #1 that states:
    LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
    This is most definitely untrue. It has been logistically proven without objection that the Exynos Octacore processor has more brutal knockdown power under a constant minimal and or maximal load than the Snapdragon processor. You might want to look further into your research on this because their is pages of data available on the Web that show this tested data readily available for your consideration.

You might want to take a look at the Verizon Note Pro thread. On game based benchmarks, the LTE version came up14% faster on Epic Citadel, and 50 to 200% faster in Anomaly 2 than the wifi version. Snapdragon seems to be more efficient at handling the graphics load, which might also effect perception of lag.
    I've had several Exynos devices, all with lag.

The only Exynos devices pertinent to this discussion are the N3 and N10.1-14. The SGS4 used Exynos 5410 which, sadly for its owners, was pretty much an Octa beta test. I have a S-800 N3 and Exynos N10.1-14. I've played with Exynos N3's and S-800 N10.1-14's. In terms of everyday use (app opening closings, transitions, in-app performance) I haven't been able to detect a difference. Neither have friends who've played with both versions also. The are people in the N10.1-14 forum who went from Wi-Fi versions to LTE versions and reported they performed the same.

Perhaps in certain games or high-demand apps Adreno may outperform Mali but in all but rare occasions not enough for it to matter. Adreno 330, Mali T628, and PowerVR G6430 are the three most powerful GPU's on the market right now. They are probably in about 10% of deployed devices. Are people implying that a +/- 10% difference between the above GPU's is so important that the 90% of GPU's in use (which are a minimum of 25% behind the above mentioned) are suddenly useless and games and high-demand apps will perform poorly? It's actually the reverse. Developers know that the majority of device GPU's don't perform as well as newer releases and design for the middle.

It's also useless comparing Exynos and S-800 on all but the same device. My N3 is significantly more fluid than my N10.1-14 but it has nothing to do with Exynos and everything to do with the huge disparity in display area (amount of overall pixels being pushed).

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of what's being pointed out isn't supported by commentary on XDA. If the difference between Exynos and S-800 were as pronounced as being claimed the N3 and N10.1-14 forums would be lit up like Christmas trees discussing it. There are some "my SoC can beat up your SoC" discussion with folks claiming superiority for both Exynos and S-800 but for the most part the consensus it they are pretty similar performance wise.