[APP][4.0+] NFC Tools : Read, write and program tasks on NFC Tags

Search This thread

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
I can successfully read a FeliCa card (Konami e-amusement) with my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S and get all the relevant information from it. But when I try to copy a tag, I get a "read error."

I am interested in emulating this FeliCa card information with my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S if possible, and if not, just make a copy of the card using a USB card reader/writer. So, wondering:

1) Can NFC Tools Pro read, then copy, then emulate a FeliCa card?
2) If not, what USB reader/writer would you suggest to purchase and what card/tag stock to use?

Thank you.

Hi, sorry for my reply delay.

With NFC Tools, you can only emulate standard record (all records in "Write" tab).
It's not possible to emulate door badge, bus cards, ... because this sort of cards are read protected by private keys.
Also, Android generate a random UID when you try to emulate a NFC chip, and some system require a fixed UID.

Here is a video that explain how to emulate NFC records with NFC Tools :

For the USB reader, I don't know, you must check the datasheet.
I don't have any software related to your needs, you may have to code your own or find something on internet.

Sc4ryB3ar

Mar 3, 2012
Plymouth
Google Pixel 5
A couple (ok maybe a few) years ago, I bought some NFC tags to play around with. At the time, every app I used made it so NFC commands could only function with it's app. So the person waving their phone over the NFC tag was prompted to download and install said app.... I tried several of them. Does your app allow for writing (and rewriting) to NFC tags, that use native Android commands without having the end user needing to download this (or any other) app?

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
A couple (ok maybe a few) years ago, I bought some NFC tags to play around with. At the time, every app I used made it so NFC commands could only function with it's app. So the person waving their phone over the NFC tag was prompted to download and install said app.... I tried several of them. Does your app allow for writing (and rewriting) to NFC tags, that use native Android commands without having the end user needing to download this (or any other) app?

Hi,

I suggest to read our faq ;)
http://en.faq.nfc.tools/

What's the difference between the “Tasks” and the “Write” tabs?
With the “Write” tab, you can put standard informations onto your NFC tag, so that you can read the tag with another NFC capable device -which doesn't need to run Android, it also works with Windows Phones for example.
The “Tasks” tab require for NFC Tasks to already be installed on your device.

What happens if someone who doesn't have NFC Tasks on their device try?
The NFC tag will automatically redirect to Google Play in order to download NFC Tasks.
Once the app is installed, they'll be able to read the NFC tag and run the tasks.

Why do I need NFC Tasks for my tasks to work?
Yes, you do need another app to run the tasks on your NFC tag. Having the proper permissions, NFC Tasks will run all the tasks recorded on your NFC tag.
NFC Tasks is an extra app whose job is run tasks recorded by NFC Tools.

Reactions: Sc4ryB3ar

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
Update 7.1

Good news everyone!

NFC Tools has been updated to version 7.1, check the release notes for details :)

NFC Tools : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakdev.wdnfc
NFC Tools - Pro Edition : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakdev.nfctools.pro

nfctools.preview.7.1.png

Release notes :

• Added new tasks : (from Android 10 / Q)
    • Connectivity settings panel
    • NFC settings panel
    • Volume settings panel
    • Wi-Fi settings panel
  • New adaptive app icon
  • Reduce app size
  • Improve NFC platform detection
  • Improve interface
  • Improve translation

Reactions: onliner

jpilarski

Aug 12, 2019
udp message formatting

I have a question regarding message formatting options. I am trying to send hex using udp. I am trying to send an OSC message using a sticker with the upd option in NFC TOOLS. I can effectively send a message with just text but in this case I need additional formatting options. Can you tell me if hex bytes or binary can be entered in as the udp message and if so how do I signify bytes (for example is it 00-A1-BB or is it 00:A1:BB). I was trying to use a variable and then some of the variable conversion operators such as text to hex but it looks like the converted hex is still sent as text and not as the bytes. I would be fine just sending text except the message requires several 00 (null) bytes and I don't know how to insert them into the text only message. I really enjoy exploring all of the functions you expose in NFC TOOLS and I look forward to learning more about the formatting options available.

jpilarski

Aug 12, 2019
I found that when using the hex to text conversion, hex is to be entered as follows 01a2c6110001 (as an example this is the conversion for 01 a2 c6 11 00 01 you just remove the spaces). This takes the bytes, including 00 (ascii null) and packages it into text which can be correctly sent using udp and this properly transmits the bytes required to define a particular message. There is a problem however, the converter is improperly converting byte 80 and I need to be able to send hex byte 80 in the udp message. Again if you can please give me some advice on message formatting and how to deal with getting 80 to convert to text it would be very helpful.

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
I found that when using the hex to text conversion, hex is to be entered as follows 01a2c6110001 (as an example this is the conversion for 01 a2 c6 11 00 01 you just remove the spaces). This takes the bytes, including 00 (ascii null) and packages it into text which can be correctly sent using udp and this properly transmits the bytes required to define a particular message. There is a problem however, the converter is improperly converting byte 80 and I need to be able to send hex byte 80 in the udp message. Again if you can please give me some advice on message formatting and how to deal with getting 80 to convert to text it would be very helpful.

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't really understand why there is a problem with the byte 0x80.
Maybe this is a reserved value ? Are you sure that you can send bytes with values over 7F ?

Have a great day.

JoRaeBim

Mar 2, 2020
Hello,

how can i open a ftp link? for example: "ftp://username:password@192.168.1.10:21"
On all apps (andtfp,Ftpcafe) i have to insert my username and password. But i inserted it before in the link in ftp tools.

It always says: invalid credentials. But the credentials are correct. I tested the same link in chrome.

Can you help me?

Last edited:

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
8.0 update

Hi everyone!

After a long code refactoring, we finally released NFC Tools 8.0 on the beta channel.
If you want to test the beta versions, here is the links:

NFC Tools - Free Edition (beta) : https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.wakdev.wdnfc
NFC Tools - Pro Edition (beta) : https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.wakdev.nfctools.pro

This update is mainly related to technical improvements so if you find any bug or regression, please contact us.

The release notes :

• Migrated to Android SDK 29
  • Migrated preferences to AndroidX
  • Input errors are now reported into the field
  • Improved the tabs, lists and drag'n drop
  • Implemented a repository pattern for the data storage
  • Implemented ViewModels and LiveDatas pattern
  • Refactored the app's structure, code optimization, ...
  • And much more, as I cannot enumerate all the modifications ;)

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
8.0 public release

Good news ! NFC Tools 8.0 is now live on the Play store for everyone.

This update concern mainly UI and technical improvements.
If you find any bug or regression, please contact us : https://support.wakdev.com/

NFC Tools : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakdev.wdnfc
NFC Tools - Pro Edition : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakdev.nfctools.pro

nfctools.preview.8.0.png

Release notes:
  • Migrated to Android SDK 29
  • Migrated preferences to AndroidX
  • Input errors are now reported into the field
  • Improved the tabs, lists and drag'n drop
  • Implemented a repository pattern for the data storage
  • Implemented ViewModels and LiveDatas pattern
  • Refactored the app's structure, code optimization, ...
  • And much more, as I cannot enumerate all the modifications ; )

the.ki

Apr 19, 2020
Binary dataset support

Hi,

I use Pro for a long time and and since I've now my own implementation of encryption and signing, could you please let "Pro" users create a single binary dataset with HEX-values in it, to emulate NFC-Tags? Would safe a lot of time, since I can redistribute my developer tags via your software without loosing encryption and signatures for the developers. I would also "enter" this raw Data manually in a profile.json if you don't want to share this feature in the UI due to UX challenges.

Kind regards,
Kai

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
Hi,

I use Pro for a long time and and since I've now my own implementation of encryption and signing, could you please let "Pro" users create a single binary dataset with HEX-values in it, to emulate NFC-Tags? Would safe a lot of time, since I can redistribute my developer tags via your software without loosing encryption and signatures for the developers. I would also "enter" this raw Data manually in a profile.json if you don't want to share this feature in the UI due to UX challenges.

Kind regards,
Kai

Be able to import / export bin files is planned but I don't know when it's will available.
As Google change all the behavior of Android each year, right now I'm focused on the scoped storage that coming on Android 11.

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
Join the Beta

Hi there!

Anyone wants to join the beta of NFC Tools / NFC Tasks to give me feedback ?

NFC Tools (8.1): https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.wakdev.wdnfc
NFC Tasks (5.0): https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.wakdev.nfctasks
NFC Tools - Pro Edition (8.1): https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.wakdev.nfctools.pro

I migrated all file operations to use the new scoped storage API and it was really fun... (irony)
More info: https://www.wakdev.com/en/more/wiki/apps/how-to-set-the-root-path.html

Any feedback on this feature will be really useful ;)

Paparasee

Apr 19, 2009
Dubai, UAE
@wakdev I was just wondering if it would be possible to re-use old bank cards that are lying around my house. It would:
a) help re-use plastic and save environment
b) not require me to cut the cards but just re-code them and remove all bank information
c) bring value to otherwise wasted cards.

If this can happen, it will be really helpful.

Nastrahl

Hi,

I’m really not used to NFC and its capability and just started to be curious about it.
I want to get rid as maximum of keys and tokens as I can if my phone can do all the unlocking so I wondered if I can unlock my flat’s doors with it somehow?

I tested by scanning my token with NFC Tools free and it recognize an ISO 14443-3A tag so I wonder how can I save it to the phone to not use the token anymore?

Thanks.

wakdev

Jun 24, 2014
Dijon
www.wakdev.com
Hi @Paparasee

I think you can try to see if those cards are compatible with your device.
You can also check the reuse plugin for incompatible cards.

Hi @Nastrahl

Sorry but for security reasons, some NFC chips are protected against reads and writes.

Also, the Android system doesn't allow developers to define the UID that is used for emulation.
This UID will be randomly generated by Android.

With NFC Tools, you can only emulate standard records like URL, TEXT, ...

Top Liked Posts