[REQ] Can someone Kang us a Gummy?!

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
I understand that I am saying the complete opposite of what I used to say. This kanging with stealing the CM9 binaries is just that, stealing. The production of this is no longer even the ROM you are porting but a mix of CM9 and that ROM with some things broken/missing. Open source has no effect here as you are not building from source. Actual source has many differences. The epiccm team want you to build from source as a learning experience and to have less bugs and get the real ROM. There is no real point to binary kanging. Please build from source to get a learning experience...

I would have to agree with Alias that the cm team just wants us to learn. The way that they initially wanted to teach the lesson was very harsh. After actually looking into the ROM Java code and kernel C code, it is Mich easier than randomly guessing at things. It is seriously not worth it to just kang with 7zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonarchist

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
I must agree. If some cm team (god love them) members want to cause a ruckus over people sharing with open source, then switch over to improving iphones and their closed source.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

The kanging that people are doing with taking the libs and bin files frim cm9 is not open source at all...

ok now back to the topic...any rebels wana take a crack at gummy and post it??

Why not actually port it from source?

The starters of cm don't whine about people kanging their rom to try to get it working on other devices. It's what we did at first before our cm team was even officially part of cm.

They did not just kang binaries... they still built it from source by coding c++ and Java. The ports that we are talking about in this thread are just taking files. The cm team legitimately coded before they were official and still do now... the cm team never did this.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

FrankyFiggz27

Apr 17, 2011
Vatican City
I get what you guys are saying. Makes sense. Better for all you devs to learn how to do everything so we get better final products.

But in the meantime, if a new rom that just came out looks cool and its as easy as 7zipping a few things so that a bunch of epic users could play around with it, why not just do it? I'm just saying this - 7zip new roms since its quick and easy, let people use it, then see if its even worth putting more attention into it before building from source. Just a suggestion.. Even though it is more likely there will be issues with the 7zipped rom, maybe there won't be any serious ones...and plenty of users would still use it anyway I'm sure, at least until a final, built from source build comes out. Know wut I is sayin??

And I'm really not disagreeing with what you're saying at all cuz it makes perfect sense and I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor do I care that much if we get gummy...I'm just thinking if its quick and easy and has a good chance of working PRETTY well, I think i speak for many of us vulture users in saying why not just do it so people can indulge in the meantime? Best of both worlds kind of thing...we get stuff quicker and u still get to learn if there's source so u can post an awesome-er build. That's what alphas and betas are for! Lol

Sent from the Epoch

Last edited:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
So to go back off topic and throw my two cents in.
I think its more of them wanting people to learn to do it the proper way.
Marcus, for example, did this with MIUI and has continued to do so for a while.
He is rather young just yet, and has a TON of potential to get in and learn the real code.

Smali is machine code. Smali is rather hard to explain, read, and visualize.
Kanging by winzip is damn easy file coping. But if you run into bugs, how do you fix it?
Smali code editing? Copy DIFFERENT files over? That's quite impossible and is harder than it needs to be.

The CM9 Devs, I'm sure, do not give a rats ass what you do with their official .zips.
What they do care about is learning and growing the community.
I feel they gave you both, Marcus and xBox, a hard time because they want you to learn the correct tools and the proper process... Not for them, but for the community and yourselves.

You both get into learning C++, Java, etc... You both will make outstanding Devs. You'll help yourselves, the CM9 team, and the community.

That's my opinion. If its totally off base, oh well. I am not speaking for the team. This has not been discussed with me. I have merely been reading what's been available on the forums. Take it or leave it... They want you to learn :)

That is very true. Never really thought about it that way. Maybe I'll try to build gummy from source when I have time. Unless there's another ROM people would prefer. I don't have that much time with school and all, so let me know if that's the one you guys want and I'll try to see what I can do. Though speaking for my roms, there's not too much more I can do to try to build from source since sense and miui and blur are closed source.
Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA

FrankyFiggz27

Apr 17, 2011
Vatican City
Im almost done with my first source based rom, gummy. Ill test a bit today and possibly post a test rom here before I post it in android development.

nice!!! glad to see that ur working on it. from all the forums i've looked through where people debate over the best ics roms (cm9 vs. aokp vs. gummy), it seems pretty universal that gummy is regarded as the most stable and had either better or just as good battery life as aokp. all i know is my gf has been running it for over a week and she is the pickiest person ever, but loves it. it just WORKS and it truly FLIES compared to every other rom ive installed on her phone, gb or ics. i even underclocked her droid global from 1.2ghz to 1ghz and its STILL faster than it's ever been on 1.2ghz, and obviously even better battery life. so to say the least, i can't wait to get this baby hooked up. ill keep posted and test as soon as u put up a link. i'll also try to get a few gummy themes working for us. once it's up and running, we should really try to get into that gummy forum on rootzwiki i posted a link to in the OP...

are u building 1.0.1 or 1.0.2?

Last edited:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
nice!!! glad to see that ur working on it. from all the forums i've looked through where people debate over the best ics roms (cm9 vs. aokp vs. gummy), it seems pretty universal that gummy is regarded as the most stable and had either better or just as good battery life as aokp. all i know is my gf has been running it for over a week and she is the pickiest person ever, but loves it. it just WORKS and it truly FLIES compared to every other rom ive installed on her phone, gb or ics. i even underclocked her droid global from 1.2ghz to 1ghz and its STILL faster than it's ever been on 1.2ghz, and obviously even better battery life. so to say the least, i can't wait to get this baby hooked up. ill keep posted and test as soon as u put up a link. i'll also try to get a few gummy themes working for us. once it's up and running, we should really try to get into that gummy forum on rootzwiki i posted a link to in the OP...

are u building 1.0.1 or 1.0.2?
I built from their most recent sources, so most likely 1.0.2. It boots and almost everything works. Though, I don't see the WiMax toggle. And also, virtual keyboard and rotation do not work. Virtual Kb and rotation should be fixed in the next five minutes though, so I should be able to release this soon. Then probably codename android since I hear that's good.

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
I built from their most recent sources, so most likely 1.0.2. It boots and almost everything works. Though, I don't see the WiMax toggle. And also, virtual keyboard and rotation do not work. Virtual Kb and rotation should be fixed in the next five minutes though, so I should be able to release this soon. Then probably codename android since I hear that's good.

Just find the gerrit patch for keyboard and cherry-pick it

FrankyFiggz27

Apr 17, 2011
Vatican City
it's like there's a higher power that just doesn't want us having wimax toggle on an ics rom. wtf. that's weird. i know the droid2global build has it if theres any way u can jack it from there.

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
The kanging that people are doing with taking the libs and bin files frim cm9 is not open source at all...

How is this so? I know very little beyond the basics of the GPL, but I thought that all OS features of Android were open source, except for specific drivers built by manufacturers, and even if these are written by others, they then fell under open source licenses. What GPL (or equivalent/alternative) spells out what can just be taken to use as I wish, and what requires permission, outside of the base source code Samsung holds as its own stuff? I thought everything outside that, was free use?

The best I could come up with, was the default icons and wallpapers and such being "proprietary"....???

Why not actually port it from source?

Heh, that's easy....., one is a very easy, little learning required process, that can be done by those with interest, but little time or skill, while the other takes time, skill, and understanding, and that is something people sometimes are unable to develop for one reason or another

Heck, I can copy/paste to get what I like, but to build from source... doubtful... not without some basic learning, and then it would still be a few tries...

Last edited:

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
How is this so? I know very little beyond the basics of the GPL, but I thought that all OS features of Android were open source, except for specific drivers built by manufacturers, and even if these are written by others, they then fell under open source licenses. What GPL (or equivalent/alternative) spells out what can just be taken to use as I wish, and what requires permission?

Heh, that's easy....., one is a very easy, little learning process, that can be done by those with interest, but little time/skill, and the other takes, time, skill, and understanding, that some people just are unable to develop for one reason or another

Heck, I can copy/paste to get what I like, but to build from source... doubtful... not without some basic learning, and then it would still be a few tries...

Building from source is easier sometimes

FrankyFiggz27

Apr 17, 2011
Vatican City
here's some gummy themes i half-ass ported. got a blue, red, and green. just putting them up now since i got everything right in front of me. obviously not tested yet, but should work:

RED:
theme - http://d-h.st/0EU
red gapps - http://www.mediafire.com/?t1i3dp0a0b62d4n

GREEN:
theme - http://d-h.st/0RQ
green gapps - http://www.mediafire.com/?lva67qhyvmopxfn

COBALT/BLUE:
theme - http://d-h.st/3nl
blue inverted gapps - http://d-h.st/Cjc (gotta flash this one over stock gapps20120317.zip)

just preparing lol.

Last edited:

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC

Perhaps, depends one where you knowledge base is.

One of the reasons I rarely posted any files up, is I was so unclear over what I could and could not use and/or alter.

And it seemed that it was all good most of the time, but every now and then, it would blow up beyond expectation, over issues I never seemed to be able to get a handle on...

I mean, after all, if someone had asked me, I would have thought (picking a ROM at random) the CM9 zip file I downloaded could be altered by me as I wished, and posted up as I wished, as long as I did it for free.

But somehow, I am not sure where/why, I know this to not be the case... that would be considered "wrong",. but... kinda why I have stuck to providing help rather than software

Last edited:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis

Definitely. You just make the manifests use epic device repos and modify the vendor to build with epicmtd files. Gummy is almost complete other than the fact that the menu and search buttons do not work

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im almost done with my first source based rom, gummy. Ill test a bit today and possibly post a test rom here before I post it in android development.

He is rather young just yet, and has a TON of potential to get in and learn the real code.

Kanging by winzip is damn easy file coping. But if you run into bugs, how do you fix it?
    Smali code editing? Copy DIFFERENT files over? That's quite impossible and is harder than it needs to be.

The CM9 Devs, I'm sure, do not give a rats ass what you do with their official .zips.
    I feel they gave you both, Marcus and xBox, a hard time because they want you to learn the correct tools and the proper process... Not for them, but for the community and yourselves.

You both get into learning C++, Java, etc... You both will make outstanding Devs. You'll help yourselves, the CM9 team, and the community.

That's my opinion. If its totally off base, oh well. I am not speaking for the team. This has not been discussed with me. I have merely been reading what's been available on the forums. Take it or leave it... They want you to learn :)
    Just wondering if this is still in the works.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Yeah. Once school is out I will have more time to work on it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Open source means open source. Everyone (even including the cm team) needs to realize this and get over it. The cm team, or any other dev are by no means required to do this work, as they don't get paid for it. People are not required to pay them for their work, but choose to through donations sometimes. The starters of cm don't whine about people kanging their rom to try to get it working on other devices. It's what we did at first before our cm team was even officially part of cm. No one seems to mind borrowing bits and pieces from other devices, or damn near everything from a source of one original dev who created this and shared it openly, with all, with absolutely no complaints or ****s to give. Just because they've put in so much work on it, they do not own it, and they never have. The only thing that matters is showing respect. Credit to our cm team for porting most/almost all of this, but not without help from many other sources, and the original and also huge contribution from those who started the cm project and have been so selfless and sharing with it.

The point of open source is to not care. To share everything we have freely so that "anything" that is possible can be done. If someone wants to change a framework and some apps, add in some scripts and kernel tweaks, or a custom kernel, call it a rom and release it, they are allowed. That is what every rom before now has been. Android with Samsung's code, with tweaks. No one before now has built an OS for our device completely from the ground up. Everyone acts more high and mighty than they are. The only difference here is that instead of it being the stock software, it's software someone else built, our device's team ported, and now tries to lay claim over.

That is very true. Never really thought about it that way. Maybe I'll try to build gummy from source when I have time. Unless there's another ROM people would prefer. I don't have that much time with school and all, so let me know if that's the one you guys want and I'll try to see what I can do. Though speaking for my roms, there's not too much more I can do to try to build from source since sense and miui and blur are closed source.