Official jellybean update coming soon apparently.

Search This thread

nodstuff

Apr 2, 2010
Cork
Ya it'll be nice to get all those binaries from Sammy!
And so much for the intl model not having enough ram. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

nodstuff

Apr 2, 2010
Cork
Ya I just flashed it on my old nexus s, its better than ICS on it but due to the hardware it just isn't buttery like on my gnex. That's to be expected though with a 1ghz hummingbird and lower bus speeds.
Laughing at my sister with her galaxy s that doesn't even have ICS with pretty much identical hardware as my nexus s with jellybean.

Simmo3D

Mar 24, 2011
JB is gonna be so awesome on the SGS3. Its so much faster than ICS on my GNex.

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Laughing at my sister with her galaxy s that doesn't even have ICS with pretty much identical hardware as my nexus s with jellybean

Instead of laughing, install Cyanogenmod 9 with Devilkernel or CM10preview no her i9000 and the device is up to speed.
Makes a huge difference over Gingerbread performance-wise and is rockstable.

Reactions: jugih and nodstuff

nodstuff

Apr 2, 2010
Cork
Instead of laughing, install Cyanogenmod 9 with Devilkernel or CM10preview no her i9000 and the device is up to speed.
Makes a huge difference over Gingerbread performance-wise and is rockstable.

Not going to happen, she thinks that custom means broken.
I've tried already, believe me.

Reactions: pa1nk1ller

jithendra194

Apr 4, 2012
Not going to happen, she thinks that custom means broken.
I've tried already, believe me.

Yea ....most of the people who don't know this stuff are dumb headed ....most of my dumb friends think that I've ruined my phone....actually I was testing few stuff....they don't even understand what I talk when I explain it to them....they say you've just ruined ur phone....the cm10 preview which was a bit unstable.....I tested it on my phone and my dumb friends saw it and they were just laughing at me ......they were iFreaks......they were saying like jellybean is dumb slow.....oh god.....they pissed me off.....

Reactions: pa1nk1ller

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
Yea ....most of the people who don't know this stuff are dumb headed ....most of my dumb friends think that I've ruined my phone....actually I was testing few stuff....they don't even understand what I talk when I explain it to them....they say you've just ruined ur phone....the cm10 preview which was a bit unstable.....I tested it on my phone and my dumb friends saw it and they were just laughing at me ......they were iFreaks......they were saying like jellybean is dumb slow.....oh god.....they pissed me off.....

Hey nod, think he just called your sister stupid, haha. :p

AndrewGoldy

Dec 19, 2010
Cape Town
Damn... I had a 87MB update on my SGS3 this afternoon which failed. When I got home I tried to do the Update, and it just said "No update available".

What on earth? Was that JB which had been launched, and then pulled?

Oomahey

Dec 22, 2011
Bangalore
Damn... I had a 87MB update on my SGS3 this afternoon which failed. When I got home I tried to do the Update, and it just said "No update available".

What on earth? Was that JB which had been launched, and then pulled?

LOL No. That is a regular OTA update. JB is not yet released. If you read the article, you'll see that the the supposed release time is Aug/Sept. Might be later.

As for the OTA update, try connecting to KIES and update.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sammobiles trusted sources say Samsung are almost ready to push JB update.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/07/galaxy-s3-to-get-jelly-bean-soon-galaxy-s2-in-testing/

I think the hardware isn't as important as the user experience TBH, I love the iPhone 4S and the S3, they are both completely different, chalk and cheese, but despite having "inferior hardware" the iPhone still runs a lot smoother than the S3 - Though I'm sure the Jelly Bean update will change that.
    the reason iPhones don't need to have quad core power stations running them is that they are heavily optimised for their hardware and they take full advantage of every resource, Android at its core wasn't made for touch screen phones, it is released for so many handsets that it can't possibly be optimised for any one handset and as such requires a lot more power to get the same result as an iPhone.

I find it quite funny though that iOS and Android, who both went two separate ways, are now coming together. Let me explain...

iPhone was all about the fast, smooth, natural experience of using a phone, in order to achieve this, it had to be limited (even more so on the original hardware than now) in functionality and just have a clean interface with all priorities lying on what could be seen by the user, so the current app was all that could run- no multitasking (later app freezing limited multitasking was added) - and that the movement remained fluid no matter what else was happening.
    Android on the other hand, went all about functionality, and quite often got bogged down (it didn't have the great ram handling that ICS has or the decent hardware available today) and was perceived as glitchy, laggy and slow, but it was literally like a computer, it almost had (or has) full computer funtionality, limited only by its speed and power, and the imagination of developers.
    As both systems have evolved, and the hardware is strong, the battery is... relatively there, and the OS's have been refined towards the original vision, both now seem to be going for what the other system wanted... ICS will soon be upgraded to Jelly Bean on the S3, and some devices already have it, bringing the smoothness and beauty of the iPhone to the 'droids, whereas iPhones are adding in more and more Android-like funtionality, iOS 5 introduced the notification bar it stole from Android (and the toasts it stole from WP7) and the next versioj is introducing more and more widgets (It had weather and stocks in iOS 5, in 6 it will have at bare minimum Facebook and Twitter although I suspect there will be more) and I imagine they are going to open the system up more and enable more multitasking in future builds, while Android will probably crack open more of the core and adjust thread priority (if this is even possible at this stage) and improve even on JB's smoothivity (??), and will probably try and bring more iOS beauty, simplicity in terms of the look and feel, and maybe their own messenger (to battle iMessage) and inbuilt videocalling system, I assume.

Meanwhile Windows Phone is going to some insane places but this is a bit off topic...

This is a pretty random essay in the middle of this thread, just sparked by the weird sense of hate people send via the net at users of other systems, I love and use all of them... Well, iOS, ICS and WP7.5 and I love them all, and I recommend different ones to different types of people based on what is best for them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, i really like TW on the S3 and with JB it should be absolutely perfect, and I hope it will fix the home redraw problem (can anyone confirm if it will?).

Stock android looks nice but the newest TW is beautiful and functional IMO and not noticeably bloated at all.
    dodgebizkit nailed it!

Android is sub-optimal when it comes to hardware optimization, specially when compared to iOS.

Anyone who has compiled the Linux kernel on a desktop computer at least once knows that: a "standard" compile of linux, windows, android, is meant to be run on a very wide range of different CPUs, even if they all are x86 or x86_64, or ARM, or whatever.

when you compile your own Linux kernel (or correctly build anything from source), you remove everything (and I mean EVERY_F*CK1N6_THING that isn't related to your hardware. You add switches to gcc that will make it compile code specific to the processor where that binary will run. That - and only that - is a very optimized binary to that specific hardware.

That is why ignorant people complain a lot about Windows: the same 32-bit build can be run on a Pentium III and on a 3rd gen Core i7 (that is not to mention AMD CPUs!). So, it obviously can't take advantage of some newer CPU-specific instructions, because that would break backwards compatibility. Core i7 ppl would love it, but Core2 ppl would ***** and moan if MS did that.

That is all OSX and iOS is about: Apple doesn't have a lot of variants when it comes to hardware, so their operating systems can be highly optimized to the hardware THEY develop and sell. They don't have to worry about the new OS being backwards compatible all the way to the ENIAC, like Windows or Linux. If they say their new OSX is only compatible with new hardware, it's the user's problems: let them buy new hardware if they want new OS. So, again - am I being repetitive - this is why they don't new the greatest and latest hardware to get the same user experience and performance from their highly optimized operating system.

Now let's take a look at Android: google tried to build a highly portable OS. There are Android devices that look like flash drives! There are tablets, phones, and all that from over a thousand vendors. How many "if... then... else" are there in the code just to deal with different CPUs (and now we have 2 architectures: ARM and IA)? Different memory models? Different governors, CPU speeds, etc? Everytime there is such a code branch, that means loss of performance, and, believe me, there are lots of them in the Android kernel code.

So, as you can see, the price for portability is the complete lack of hardware-specific optimizations.

What Samsung should do is the same Google is doing with Motorola now: cut the line of products in half and optimize whatever is left: instead of having 30 different, half-assed products in the market, keep just 12 of them, but make them great.

The Galaxy SIII features hardware powerful enough to be anyone's phone for years to come, but theunderlying operating system isn't up to par. Adding more memory won't help. Adding a few more cores won't either. It's time Samsung builds better binaries.

OTOH, Java is inherently slow when compared to native code. All apps made for iOS are compiled in native code, while Android apps are usually Java classes that will be rum by a virtual machine. People have the option to write programs using the NDK, but even google discourages that, specially now that Intel is in the game (read binary incompatibility between ARM and IA).

So, there, I said it. Let the flaming start, but before that, let me just say that I won't trade my SIII for any iPhone ever!
    How do you call project butter then):D

《tapatalked from galaxy s3》

I Cant Believe its not Project Buttery .

jje
    Boring. We have already surpassed a junky Touchwhiz JB build.

why? so you can have JB with all the bloat crap? the only thing good about an official JB release is maybe something can be used for the many custom JB builds which are already superior

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Shows what you know.
    I suppose you think a fully functioning hwcomposer isn't important, or a JB rom with no memory leak has no purpose, seeing as the ones now that have those problems have "surpassed" and are "superior" to a touchwiz JB rom that hasn't even been released yet. :rolleyes:
    Typical jamesnmandy trolling comment.