[Q] Is dual-booting possible on the Note 2 - N7100?

Search This thread

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Ps, does anyone know of a script to extract the ramfs (or initramfs) that works on the n2,
I have tried a few, but in the output directory when the script has finished, the is always just 2 folders called /dev and /root, and they are both empty.
Does anyone know of a working script to extract the ramfs?.

Thanks
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

EpicLPer

Aug 29, 2012
Scheibbs
epiclper.com
Would be awesome! Are there already new informations about this?

BTW: Is ist also possible (like on the Asus TF201 tablet) to maybe boot Ubuntu too? Or would it be too much effort to program drivers etc?

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi,
I have Ubuntu dual booted on my nexus 7 tablet, and that's even too small to use it on, you can't hit any buttons correctly or anything, when the Ubuntu touch is out for n2 it should be great tho :)

I finished compiling the dual boot kernel for n2,
First ROM boots fine, with no bugs or anything, but the second ROM doesn't boot, and it freezes at the choose ROM screen on boot when I try and select it.

I really need someone with a rooted s3 to do some things for me, but I can't seem to find anyone :p

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

If I helped you, please hit Thanks..

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hi,
I have Ubuntu dual booted on my nexus 7 tablet, and that's even too small to use it on, you can't hit any buttons correctly or anything, when the Ubuntu touch is out for n2 it should be great tho :)

First ROM boots fine, with no bugs or anything, but the second ROM doesn't boot, and it freezes at the choose ROM screen on boot when I try and select it.

I really need someone with a rooted s3 to do some things for me, but I can't seem to find anyone :p

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I have a rooted SIII that I am running Siyah Dualboot Kernel on and I would be willing to assist you if I can. Im not the most technical guy in the world but if you explain what you need done then I should be able to help you. Feel free to PM me if ya want or we can continue the dialogue here in the thread if you wish...

iampoch

Apr 28, 2011
Question: what's the advantage of having dual boot? Or, to be more precise, why would I use two ROMs?

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Anyone has some news about this i would really like it :) 1 for priv 1 for work xD

Hi fishingfon, any good news about booting the 2nd rom on GN2 ? ;)

Hi,
I am still getting the problem of the second rom freezing.

I have found a few things i need to change in the code, and will try and do that soon. And see if it works then :p

I have been very busy studying for a microsoft exam the last couple of weeks, and getting ready to move back to england next month, so i havent been able to do much of the kernel.

I will try and get some done next week.

Question: what's the advantage of having dual boot? Or, to be more precise, why would I use two ROMs?

You say "Why" I say "Why not?" :p
It means u can have two roms installed, and you don't have to keep restoring cwm backups to change ROMs.
So I could have omega and stock installed at the sane time (or eventually cm and stock :p)

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

sHaHiN786

Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Any news on the Kernel OP? I'll most definitely re-root my phone again once this is released, as I want a stock Jellybean experience as well as have the option to return to my standard S-Pen user experience, sucks that Samsung's S-Pen is heavily reliant of the Touchwiz framework. :(

Reactions: lopman and bliblabl

Alienator9191

Jan 18, 2012
Any news on the Kernel OP? I'll most definitely re-root my phone again once this is released, as I want a stock Jellybean experience as well as have the option to return to my standard S-Pen user experience, sucks that Samsung's S-Pen is heavily reliant of the Touchwiz framework. :(

+1

send from another universe, made possible by xda

bliblabl

Jul 1, 2012
AW: [Q] Is dual-booting possible on the Note 2 - N7100?

I'm with you, the whole thing! Dual boot would be nice.

Is there any success in developing dual boot for our note 2?

Can we help somehow?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 2

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Hi,
I havent been able to do any of the kernel for a couple of weeks, as i have been busy getting ready to move back to england, and studying for university, and i have just bought a new laptop, so i have been busy setting it up, and copying all my stuff to it, so i still need to install linux on it before i can do anymore of the kernel.

I will hopefully be able to do some more soon.

To start with the kernel will only support stock sammy roms, as i need to add a lot of custom code to the kernel amd ramfs, so that on boot, the kernel will detect the rom type, and then boot from the kernel files from that rom thats detected ( cm or stock).
I might be able to merge the dual boot ramfs with a universal rom kernel already built for the note 2, but i need to get the dual boot working first.

The dual boot is still freezing on booting the second rom, but i have a few ideas of what could be causing it.

Cheers
Corey

I'm with you, the whole thing! Dual boot would be nice.

Is there any success in developing dual boot for our note 2?

Can we help somehow?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 2

Hi,
The second ROM is still freezing on boot up.
The ext SD problem has been fixed, but the dual boot still isn't working right.
I have a idea of how to fix it, but I need to try it to see if it works.

The isn't really much u can do, as all I am doing is changing lines of INI code, and some C binary aswell.
But thanks for the offer.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Reactions: bliblabl

jessecoleman

Jul 26, 2012
If you can successfully dual boot touchwiz and cm or similar would there be an issue because of differences in directory structure between 4.1 and 4.2?

edwinpang

Nov 11, 2010
A dual boot kernel is in progress AFAIK

Check the developers section

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
If you can successfully dual boot touchwiz and cm or similar would there be an issue because of differences in directory structure between 4.1 and 4.2?

Hi,
No that wouldnt cause any problems.

Cheers
Corey

A dual boot kernel is in progress AFAIK

Check the developers section

Hi,
Do u know what the name of that thread is?.
Thanks

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:
Reactions: M4cr0s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I was going to try and port the dual boot feature from the s3 siyah kernel with the help of Gokhan Moral, i have got a stock N2 kernel ready to compile ect, but i cant find any compiler that works on the note 2 kernel, i can only find one for the s2 (my current phone).
    I found a guide on setting up a universal kernel compiling environment, but the is so many things to install, it is taking me ages to set up :p

Corey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi,

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I have a rooted SIII that I am running Siyah Dualboot Kernel on and I would be willing to assist you if I can. Im not the most technical guy in the world but if you explain what you need done then I should be able to help you. Feel free to PM me if ya want or we can continue the dialogue here in the thread if you wish...
    Anyone has some news about this i would really like it :) 1 for priv 1 for work xD

Hi fishingfon, any good news about booting the 2nd rom on GN2 ? ;)

Hi,
    I am still getting the problem of the second rom freezing.

I have found a few things i need to change in the code, and will try and do that soon. And see if it works then :p

I have been very busy studying for a microsoft exam the last couple of weeks, and getting ready to move back to england next month, so i havent been able to do much of the kernel.

I will try and get some done next week.

You say "Why" I say "Why not?" :p
    It means u can have two roms installed, and you don't have to keep restoring cwm backups to change ROMs.
    So I could have omega and stock installed at the sane time (or eventually cm and stock :p)

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I wish Dual boot and Voodoo sound gets ported to Note2 ASAP. I seems to have posted elsewhere but I did discuss the possibilities with Gokhanmoral and he may be willing to help us in the port as he personally do not wish to develop a kernel for a device he do not own.

Siyah's port of Voodoo sound is already available for us through the latest RedPill and Perseus kernels, however dual boot option is yet to be ported. I wish to contribute towards the development if I could help in anyway.

Hi,
    I am already in the process of porting the dual boot.
    I have changed the partition layout in the ramfs, and I am at the moment just going thru all the files double checking I didn't miss anything..

If the dual boot does work when I have finished (fingers crossed lol) then I could really use someone who knows how to add cm sources to the kernel, so that dual boot is possible with cm and stock roms (I an not a C programmer, i am normaly only a c# and java, so i am not to sure how to do that :p ) .

I have also been in contact with Gokhanmoral, and he's been giving me lots of help with what to do ect.

Cheers
    Corey