[Q] How good is sigen glass screen protector?

Search This thread

indocus

Apr 24, 2009
I got the ultra thin .2 mm
it went on nice and had a really nice feel
but sadly after 1 day and 1 drop the sigen glass shattered

i guess it did its job but a single 2 foot drop while getting out a car
i would of hoped it would of took a little more than that
i also blame the thin lipped rim of my case its a very thin profile case and with the thickness of the glass and the low profile made for a bad
match my case has a 1.0 mm lip and with .2mm thickness on the glass means i had a .8mm clearance from the screen and the ground so any
falls that puts the phone screen side down is disastrous
I still may get a replacement when i can afford it and a case with a higher lip

epsilon022

Apr 17, 2013
How does steaming help remove dust? And wouldn't it make the screen like moist-ish?

The humidity in the air weighs down the dust particles, which decreases the chance that specs of dust will collect on the screen between the time that you clean it and the time that you apply the screen protector, even if it's only a few seconds. I ordered the GLAS.tR NANO SLIM (0.23mm) and applied it last night in the bathroom after showering and there is not a single spec of dust under the glass. So far I am quite happy with it. Can't even tell it's there aside from the cut-out around the ear speaker and it feels great to the touch, far better than any other vinyl or plastic protector.

justanotherasian

May 15, 2014
The humidity in the air weighs down the dust particles, which decreases the chance that specs of dust will collect on the screen between the time that you clean it and the time that you apply the screen protector, even if it's only a few seconds. I ordered the GLAS.tR NANO SLIM (0.23mm) and applied it last night in the bathroom after showering and there is not a single spec of dust under the glass. So far I am quite happy with it. Can't even tell it's there aside from the cut-out around the ear speaker and it feels great to the touch, far better than any other vinyl or plastic protector.

Ah nice. And yeah, that makes sense. At first I read you say I applied it while showering and I was like woah :eek:

Nov 11, 2008
previously, I had a one x, so I know how strong the gorilla glass was, and didnt like the hassle of screen protectors, except for how easy and smoothly my fingers would slide on the matte screen covers.

buying the s5, I didnt think I was gonna use any screen protectors. but my brother showed me his spigen glass protector and I was instantly sold.

not because of the scratch protection, but because of the oleophobic coating. this coating makes the screen so much easier to use and slide around on. the stock screen also doesnt work well in a humid place with moisture, like a steamy showered room. the gorilla glass becomes all tacky and hardy to use wih moist or damp fingers.
the spigen screen protector makes it easy to slide around on, and the water on the screen doesnt give false readings to the digitzer like the stock glass does.

the other thing I like a lot about this is that with the cover on, the exposed home button is now flush with the screen, it just feels more comfortable and "normal", especially if you utilize the finger print scanner. I bought the .2mm version.

my brother has the .23mm version, im not sure how the s4 varies in physical specs, but my brother noticed immediately that my screen glass was thinner than his. he also has a little gel sticker insert to raise up his home button to be used with his cover. he opted for the slightly thicker glass for durability purposes.

I am content with having the the thinnest cover because I dont anticipate dropping my phone much, and I already have a sturdy enough case on.

I dont know about other brands, but I am perfectly content and very happy with my purchase. 10/10 on the reccomendations factor.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How does steaming help remove dust? And wouldn't it make the screen like moist-ish?

When you are in steamed room, i.e. bathroom with hot water running, the dust wouldn't stick to the screen, thus helping the installation easier w/o anything on the screen.

I am currently using the Luvvitt and I have nothing but stellar remarks for it. It's cheap, and it works flawlessly. My first one had a microscopic nick in the top right edge that was preventing the screen protector from adhering on that edge. I let them know last Friday and SUNDAY the mailman hand delivered me a new one.. Not even sure how all of that happened but yeah, great customer service to boot.
    MIME Feather Glass is what I ended up getting. Part of my decision was that I planned on getting my T-Mobile SGS5 from Delaware to avoid sales tax and I needed to have the screen protector (wanted to try glass for the first time too) by the time I had it too. I live in NJ and MIME is made in New York, so the quick shipping (free anyway but quick since we're neighbors) made it a good decision for me...

And I couldn't be ANY HAPPIER with my decision. It's so thin that I can barely feel it's there. I know if I went any thicker, I wouldn't like the feeling of going over the home button. The fit is beyond perfect and I don't have any scratches on it AT ALL yet. Keep in mind I go to the gym a lot and my pockets have zippers and I'm sure I'm constantly rubbing up against them when I take it out and put it in (that's what she said). No scratches at all. Responsiveness is completely unhindered.

I would highly recommend it...

---------------------------
    Also, a little tip (regardless of brand I suppose, but the "purple film", basically a screen sized film with a very very light adhesive for "anti-dust preinstallation film" MIME gave actually came in VERY HANDY for me...) for the install!

credits to BillTheCat: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1015394
    okay, the only advice I really took here was to go into the bathroom at home (low dust environment!) and run the hot water in the shower for a bit (steam it up, even less dust).

at that point, I wiped my screen of course, then I just took the protector, handled it from the sides to make sure I got no oil on the adhesive side, and lined it up just right (worked for me, maybe you might want to try the tape method, but it may be difficult with glass protectors) and laid it down (bottom first to line up the home button perfectly). i ended up with 2 pieces of dust towards the top. damn it.

then the purple film came in damn handy. i very carefully (with my fingernails, but being careful not to actually touch under the glass and get marks on it) lifted up the glass and peeled it back just enough to get "purple film" underneath and "grab" the dust particles off of the screen. i was afraid it may leave marks or residue, but it didn't at all. not sure how painter's tape would work in this case, but I'm proud to say that I have a 100% dust free, mark free, PERFECT installation. =DDDD

then again, I have some patience and a fairly steady hand, so this may or may not work for you. I used to make money back in middle school changing out LED's on Nokia 5100's, 6100's, 8200's series... ah the old days haha. that required some steady hands. i still have my 8260 that i converted to the 8860 and soldered on the slide pin that made the sliding cover active. removing and rotating the polarized LCD films to invert the screens.. anyone remember all4cell? man i feel old now.

wow, now i'm thinking about the old TDMA networks and how much i hated GSM phones cause you couldn't change the carrier tags (on Nokias). i guess if it was still like back then, the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 threads would be the VoiceStream Galaxy S5 threads MIRITE??!

biggest advice though: go to the bathroom, steam it up (not too much)! that alone helps with the dusty environment, i thought that was very very good advice.
    What brand is the $12 one that you feel is almost as good?

It's the LUVVITT brand. Maybe it's a little thicker than the Spigen, but honestly it's barely noticeable. Especially when you factor in the little ridge along the screen of the S5.