***Informative Links*** - Read before clicking "New Thread"

Search This thread

alapapa

Dec 18, 2007
***Informative Threads***
Post your question / issue / success story / etc. in the appropriate threads instead of starting a new thread!

Do NOT post a new thread to ask a QUESTION!!!
If your post has a question mark in it, you most likely need to post your thread in the Q&A Section

Please follow xda-developers forum rules and be courteous to all members.
Common sense goes a long way -- if in doubt check out All~G1's pointers on Dev Forum Etiquette

[Build Indexes] - Don't ask which build is best -- choose for yourself based on the features you desire!
  • androidspin.com
    SimonNWalker & a group of Android Community members are maintaining a site which showcases the feature sets of the latest and greatest android builds ("roms" if you prefer). Check here to see "which is best" and try them out for yourself. The site is also ripe with news about Android development and more. XDA Thread
  • Google Docs Build Spreadsheet - View and edit build info - Google Docs Build Spreadsheet

[Guides/Tutorials/Info]
[HOW TO]

Ported Hero Programs:

***Developer Links***

Developers - Instead of maintaining a list of builds, I've changed this list to include links to your publications (blog, twitter, main release thread, etc.) let me know when / if you want these modified or if any should be added -- I'm sure I've missed some of you!

For links / info on particular builds, check out the AndroidSpin or the Google Docs Build Spreadsheet

This index will be updated as needed.
Please keep comments on topic!

Last edited:
Reactions: brandnew2009

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
-Thread Stuck-
Other stickies un-stuck.

Please do not post in this thread unless you have a suggestion on how to improve it. Off topic and dealt with requests will be deleted without warning.

Oh, and thanks alapapa. :)

Enjoy
Dave

godfatherone

Feb 15, 2009
An improvement

The Threads should be in catagories.

Such as:

[How To]

[Guides/Tuts]

[Info]

and so on with different catagories.

something like that would be helpful to this post to quickly find relevent topics.
Thanks for reading.

jmhecker

Mar 25, 2009
Racine, WI
I just thought I would whip up a quick informational post here regarding people saying "this does not work", or "this app FCs", etc. Posting something that just says "this is not working" tells us absolutely nothing. We need more information, and that is why God (Google) invented adb and logcat.

I am going to assume that to get to this point, you at least have ADB configured correctly. If not, do it. You can find detailed instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=532719.

Once you have that set up and configured correctly, you can begin to post more informative posts in regards to something not working.

'logcat' is your best friend. Do not be afraid to use it. All you need to do is run 'adb logcat' from your command prompt. If ever I am at my desk, I have my phone plugged in and logcat running to see what is going on in the background. Normally, you will just see the standard items such as resource allocation, email queries, and things relating to applications you have running.

At the beginning of each line in logcat, you will see I/, D/, W/, or E/. They designate what type of message it is.

• I: Information
  • D: Debug
  • W: Warning
  • E: Error
When an application crashes, you will see a lot of D/ and E/ lines, with some W/ thrown in for good measure. That is the information that is needed to help diagnose the problem, and hopefully create a fix for it.

Here is an example of a helpful logcat that should be posted when you say "it no workie":

Code:
I/ActivityManager(  277): Starting   activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.
MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000   cmp=com.google.androi
d.apps.googlevoice/.SplashActivity }
I/ActivityManager(  277): Starting activity: Intent {   cmp=com.google.android.app
s.googlevoice/.LoginActivity (has extras) }
W/ResourceType(  441): No package identifier when getting name for   resource numb
er 0x00000000
E/JavaBinder(  441): *** Uncaught remote exception!  (Exceptions are not   yet sup
ported across processes.)
E/JavaBinder(  441): android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException:   String res
ource ID #0x0
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.content.res.Resources.getText(Resources.java:
200)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.content.res.Resources.getString(Resources.jav
a:253)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.content.Context.getString(Context.java:149)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   com.google.android.googleapps.GoogleLoginService$Acco
untAuthenticatorImpl.getAuthTokenLabel(GoogleLoginService.java:586)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.accounts.AbstractAccountAuthenticator$Transpo
rt.getAuthTokenLabel(AbstractAccountAuthenticator.java:155)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.accounts.IAccountAuthenticator$Stub.onTransac
t(IAccountAuthenticator.java:123)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at   android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:287)
E/JavaBinder(  441):    at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
I/ActivityManager(  277): Displayed activity   com.google.android.apps.googlevoice
/.LoginActivity: 158 ms (total 158 ms)
I/DumpStateReceiver(  277): Added state dump to 1 crashes
D/dalvikvm(  894): GC freed 365 objects / 24000 bytes in 132ms
That information may not provide every piece of information we need, but it gives a good starting point as to where to begin to look.

EDIT: If this needs to be put into another location or shouldn't be posted to begin with, feel free to move/delete it.

Last edited:

Blogpostwriter

Oct 21, 2010
Custom thread

Threads should be in a bulleted format indicating first the subject which is to be discussed. Under it lies the sub bullets in which gives information to the subject as well as the problem to be solved. Facts should be stated then the resolution would come last. Just like solving a simple problem.

theblogpostwriters.com

Top Liked Posts