[HOW-TO] Enable USB Charging

Search This thread

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
Did you try the apk I suggested. Did you follow the instructions how to install and activate?
It is working on my p4 without any problem.
Well, I really tried. Maybe I've done something wrong. Will try again.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Did you try the apk I suggested. Did you follow the instructions how to install and activate?
What do you mean by "activate". I've installed the apk and click on it (open) but nothing happens...

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
Technical,

I meant (sorry for the wrong words):

"when adding the widget the file is at unknown state, need to hit the refresh button"

I have placed it on my opening screen: it shows enable or disable. If you hit disable it turns to enable and once enabled you can charge over usb and any kind of suitable power supply.

Of course you need root acces.

Succes,

Peter

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
Grop, you've said the magic word... Widget... I've missed that miserably.
Now it's working and the tablet is charging through USB, although slowly.
Thanks.

Grop

Feb 23, 2013
with a cable not original works only exchange data from PC, wondering if it was possible to enable some option to also recharge (curiosity because I have the original too)

For me charging with a not-original cable is working if the widget is enabled. In my case hooked up to my usb port or a solar charger and both charge.

gulstein86

Aug 15, 2010
klang

gulstein86

Aug 15, 2010
klang
The apps work. However since it's using USB charging, it only allowed up to 500mA to charge. Does anyone know how to modify the max charging ampere allowed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is to enable USB charging on your Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Requirements:
    - Any rooted ROM with Pershoot's kernel

- ScriptManager (free market app)

- USB Charging Script

Procedures
    - Ensure you have a rooted rom/custom rom with pershoot's kernel like task650 and PhantomHacker's In Paris rom. Download and install ScriptManager from Android Market. Download the script using the link above and store it anywhere on your tab.
    - Open script manager
    - Navigate to wherever you stored the script and choose it. Tick run as root and run on boot. Press run.
    - If it asks for superuser/root access, please allow it.
    - you're done. Press home to exit. Reboot.

Note
    Please read and follow all instructions and I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. this should not damage your battery. the reason why samsung disabled usb charging is not because they were worried it would damage the battery. it is because the tab charges very slowly over usb, so they didnt want people to leave a zero battery tablet charging overnight on their pc usb to wake up and find that its only charged 50%.

The common USB connections provide 5 volts DC and between 500mAh to 1,000mAh at most whereas the main power supply provides 12 volts DC and between 1200mAh to 2400mAh. Our Samsung Galaxy Tab needs about 2,000mAh for normal charging. This mod just lets you charge using that low voltage and current from the usb anyways. It is useful for someone like me who never lets the battery drain to zero and I am almost always next to a laptop so when I am watching tv or doing something else, it is always charging.

thanks to pershoot for his kernel, developers on this forum for their excellent roms.

thanks to Giblet-dono for his help and pointers in this thread
    I'm curious about one thing regarding this mod.

Would it be possible that this can hurt the battery? I mean, what happends to the battery if it gets fed with a current and voltage that is not the current and voltage it was made for? Could that damage the cells?

I'm a computer engineering student but unfortunately we do not study much electronics, perhaps someone with deep electronics and/or chemical knowledge could write something about this? Would be awesome to know more on why/why not it can/can not harm the battery.

hi dont worry about damaging your battery. the reason why samsung disabled usb charging is not because they were worried it would damage the battery. it is because the tab charges very slowly over usb, so they didnt want people to leave a zero battery tablet charging overnight on their pc usb to wake up and find that its only charged 50%.

The common USB connections provide 5 volts DC and between 500mAh to 1,000mAh at most whereas the main power supply provides 12 volts DC and between 1200mAh to 2400mAh. Our Samsung Galaxy Tab needs about 2,000mAh for normal charging. This mod just lets you charge using that low voltage and current from the usb anyways. It is useful for someone like me who never lets the battery drain to zero and I am almost always next to a laptop so when I am watching tv or doing something else, it is always charging.
    I have put the line in a init.d script which automatically runs on boot!
    You can also use script manager (free) to make a script which does this on boot ;)!

Goodluck!
    I do this on tab with terminal emulator every time I reboot. No need to plug in and ADB.

Just su before echo...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    The reason this is not enabled by defautl is because some computers cant handle this!
    Try different USB ports if it doesn't work!
    try a POWERED usb Hub if it doesn't work!
    If it doesn't work at all with any port, then sorry your pc isn't capable

When plugged in to a NORMAL usb port it will only charge with screen off (power usage is lower then power provided)
    When plugged in to a ON/OFF charge or High powered usb port it WILL charge with screen on.
    The only way(s) I have found to check this:
    Plug it in, leave screen on, check if the battery gets more full!
    or you could try to Look on you motherboards provider website to check if your motherboard is capable.
    keywords you should look for then: ON/OFF Charge, High powered USB, 1000mA USb etcetera

Good luck to all