(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

Search This thread

ronsno

May 6, 2013
Help

I had the google play working and installed wise pilot. I then got the market forced to quit message. In playing around now my unit is in a reboot cycle. I can't get it to come up. I've unplugged it. Used the reset many times. Any ideas?:crying:

Last edited:

niro.am

May 27, 2013
Hi All,

Has anyone here bought the U.S version and used it in Europe/Australia/NZ ?

Does the radio frequencies work ok ? Ive read the increments used in the U.S are different but figured on a unit like this it shouldn't matter ?
Also the maps, im not too worried about the iGO stuff i will install google maps but still wandering if you can load a different country on ?

sawaad

May 15, 2013
Hi guys,

For those who installed the Google Play, where you able to install :

Tomtom
iCoyote
Torque

If yes, did you need to use Market Helper ?

I have just gotten Torque Pro working, didn't need to use market helper. Assuming you have already rooted your Smart and got the play store working. I did the following to get it up and running:

1. Bought, Downloaded and Installed Torque Pro from the Play Store
  2. Bought, Downloaded and Installed Bluetooth Auto-Pair (If your ODBII device pairs on 0000 then you probably don't need this)
  3. Ran Bluetooth Auto-Pair and paired to my OBDII ELM327 device using pin 6789
  4. Ran Torque Pro, setup a profile and it all seems to work nicely

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Hi All,

Has anyone here bought the U.S version and used it in Europe/Australia/NZ ?

Does the radio frequencies work ok ? Ive read the increments used in the U.S are different but figured on a unit like this it shouldn't matter ?
Also the maps, im not too worried about the iGO stuff i will install google maps but still wandering if you can load a different country on ?

I purchased a U.S version from amazon (given it is under half the price we can get it here in Aus, with shipping included!). I have installed it and it is working without any dramas. I had heard there might be some issues with the radio frequencies as there are differences between the US and Aus, but it all seems to be fine. Apps, Music, etc are all good.

The only thing that isn't perfect is the iGO navigation app, it works correctly however obviously the version that comes with the device has the North American maps. To this point I haven't been able to find a way to add the Aus/NZ maps, not sure if it is even possible. However Google maps / navigation works well and if you require an offline solution then there are plenty available on the play store (Sygic, TomTom, etc)

All in all I very happy with it, especially once I got the Play Store installed.

Reactions: r_benamin

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
Tried searching the thread but couldnt find anything... Any news on a bluetooth remote for the Smart? So i can control the volum.. dont have Multi steering wheel. Read somewhere that it dosent support bluetooth HID so something like http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaRemote-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-Control/dp/B00824948U Wont work.. I also read that they are working on getting the tablet remote to work with it?, can this control volum?

EDIT:

OMG.. THINK this works http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Control-Powered-Controlled-Rotary/dp/B00ANRRZCG read the first review. "bought this to control my new Android head unit I installed in my car. The Parrot Asteroid Smart. It does not have any physical buttons and uses an onscreen slider to control the volume. This irritated me while driving so I bought this product. Plugged it into the back of the radio via USB and mounted it. Works perfect!! Controls the volume as well as push to mute. Recommended."

Last edited:
May 12, 2013
San Diego
Tried searching the thread but couldnt find anything... Any news on a bluetooth remote for the Smart?....
This solution is only $7 and it works for volume, though it's not Bluetooth, but it includes everything you need (remote and USB receiver). Search for this on amazon.com: B0050PUGZE. Sorry for the requirement search rather than a url...this forum won't let me post it :(.

jedimatt42

Jul 18, 2009
boo :(. wifi streaming sucks down my battery about 10 times faster than BT streaming.

i've at least set up NFC task launcher to automatically enable wifi tethering when it connects to the BT of the smart, though that adds another 10-20 seconds to startup
I've used tasker for this, enabling wifi-tethering on my phone when the BT parrot device is connected, and using an exit task to switch back to using wifi for itself. This way the phone can stay in my pocket... unless I decide I want it charging.

Joe333x

Oct 6, 2009
What do we have to do to get our own section for this? I mean this is a giant thread that is hard to follow. I think this deserves its own dev section. Who knows maybe someone can get clockwork recovery going on here and then we can really start having some fun.

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
This solution is only $7 and it works for volume, though it's not Bluetooth, but it includes everything you need (remote and USB receiver). Search for this on amazon.com: B0050PUGZE. Sorry for the requirement search rather than a url...this forum won't let me post it :(.

Yeah but the problem with that remote is that it is super fugly.. Dont want something like that in my car.. It need to go with the interiour. Thats why its okey if the remote have to be wired, as long as i can integrade it nicely in my car!

toberg

Jan 15, 2007
Tried searching the thread but couldnt find anything... Any news on a bluetooth remote for the Smart? So i can control the volum.. dont have Multi steering wheel. Read somewhere that it dosent support bluetooth HID so something like http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaRemote-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-Control/dp/B00824948U Wont work.. I also read that they are working on getting the tablet remote to work with it?, can this control volum?

EDIT:

OMG.. THINK this works http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Control-Powered-Controlled-Rotary/dp/B00ANRRZCG read the first review. "bought this to control my new Android head unit I installed in my car. The Parrot Asteroid Smart. It does not have any physical buttons and uses an onscreen slider to control the volume. This irritated me while driving so I bought this product. Plugged it into the back of the radio via USB and mounted it. Works perfect!! Controls the volume as well as push to mute. Recommended."

Yup I was the one who posted that review. It really does work great. I bought a .25 cent knob at radioshack and it looks like it's factory.

Reactions: vilord

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
Yup I was the one who posted that review. It really does work great. I bought a .25 cent knob at radioshack and it looks like it's factory.

Nice! only problem is that no one has that volum controller in stock.. Sent an email to http://store.mp3car.com/ about when they will get it in stock.. Still waiting for respons :D

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Anyone know if i will run into any problems buying the Parrot smart from U.S to use in norway? is there som differences? or can i just download the norwegian software update from parrot.com and innstall it?

ronsno

May 6, 2013
I had the google play working and installed wise pilot. I then got the market forced to quit message. In playing around now my unit is in a reboot cycle. I can't get it to come up. I've unplugged it. Used the reset many times. Any ideas?:crying:

No responses so I'm reposting, "HELP!"

vilord

Aug 4, 2007
Boston
Nice! only problem is that no one has that volum controller in stock.. Sent an email to http://store.mp3car.com/ about when they will get it in stock.. Still waiting for respons :D

I bought the last one they had in stock last week :p. It works great for me too, still need to head over to the shack to get that 25c knob. Mute doesn't seem to work on mine... maybe I damaged it during install, I know it muted just fine on my laptop before install, but on the parrot it doesn't mute anything?

Solviken

Jan 3, 2013
Anyone know if i will run into any problems buying the Parrot smart from U.S to use in norway? is there som differences? or can i just download the norwegian software update from parrot.com and innstall it?

EDIT: Fournd answer.. Missing Norwegian maps in IGO and radio Fm aint the same.. So cant buy from USA

Last edited:

vilord

Aug 4, 2007
Boston

What do you mean "playing around"?

We don't have a custom bootloader on these things, don't have a recovery method, so if you weren't sure what you were doing you should have been *very* careful...

nikkobenson

Jul 17, 2007
I have asked the same question of parrot as I also have rear screens.
And the only way is to play (the limited file type) from the SD card from the gallery app.
I have tried several mp4 files and they wont play on the front anyway?

surly a screen mirror would be the best then if it plays on the front its on the back??????

Ok, so you HAVE to use the stock app to play video to the rear screens. That helps a little.

Question, did you ground your parking sensor? Or does the car not play in the front for you because you're driving?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure where I found this info, but I don't believe it was here, so I thought I'd leave a little write up about enabling Google Voice Search. First I found and downloaded the old voice search apk. You will need to search for voice search 2.1.4 apk..should be a legitimate free download. However, as I'm sure many have tried and seen, it simply force closes when installed. So, as mentioned, I found a post somewhere that pointed to the missing lib...oh so obviously named libvoicesearch.so. It can be found in the gingerbread gapps zip. Again, you can just search for that...I found it on goo.im/gapps. Now on a basic level, we're done, you can have your voice control icon and a voice input button will be added to maps and the browser.

voice_search.jpg

maps.jpg

browser.jpg

So, we're just missing one more thing...voice typing from the keyboard into any app. Unfortunately whatever it is that triggers keyboards to display a voice input key is still missing. So, simply installing Gingerbread Keyboard isn't enough to enable the functionality. I tried out quite a few keyboards and obviously they are all keying off the same thing...perhaps it's a bit to flip in some config file...regardless it's not there currently. I did find two keyboards(there are possibly more) that will present the key. One is SwiftKey, the other Kii. Neither are free, Kii only clears it's fancy prediction dictionary when not registered, so I went with it...plus it has a better voice input presentation. Only final caveat is that neither of these will show the voice key as a primary key...you have to hold another key and it will popup as the first option...so it's not too bad. Still looking for a perfect solution, but this functions in the meantime.

kii.jpg

I guess I'll go ahead and post up a few other things from my setup that folks might find useful since I'm here.

1. Tablet Talk - Direct Text message forwarding from your phone. There are a few programs like this, but this one uses a direct link (BT or Wifi) from your phone and doesn't have to go out to some other server to store/fetch messages. Interface it okay, designed for tablets, so a bit cramped on the small screen. But seems to function pretty well. I'm connected via bluetooth and it doesn't interfere with voice call functionality at all. You do have to run a service on your phone also, but so far I haven't noticed any negative impact. Oh yeah, needs an Android phone...but we're on XDA right...so that shouldn't be a problem for most.

tablet_talk.jpg

2.Android Weather Widget - I have discovered, along with others, that the majority of weather widgets don't play nicely with the Asteroid. Since it's gingerbread, the widgets basically think it's a phone and even when connected to some wifi network, when it can't get initial location triangulation via a cellular data network...it will never get a location lock. Elsewhere someone found a non-free widget that functioned correctly, but I'm cheap... I finally found the Android Weather Widget after trying quite a few. It's pulls location via the gps and then grabs the needed data from wifi. Works and looks great. Using it with ADW in the screenshot of my current setup. As an aside, so far ADW is working nicely.

adw_weather.jpg

3. PerApp - Most of the time I like to use Google Navigation for my mapping needs. I quickly found there was no way to adjust the volume on the Asteroid. It is not tied to master or notification...well it does adjust with master(since, you know, it's the master volume), but it's at a much lower level than the music so can't play nicely. Found PerApp, which allows me to go in and set up to a +15db increase for the app. Works like a charm. Also has rotation functionality(again per app) that functions great. Only caveat can be found in one of my previous posts. Make sure to turn off it's screen timeout functionality. You can't set it to 0(which in this case is no timeout) and it will default to 1 minute. You will then get an annoying clock popup every minute and go crazy trying to find out why. So after installing you might needs something like SOFFT to reset the default timeout.

4. AsteroidTweaker - Mentioned just above, I basically use this to have a reboot functionality without having to have a paperclip handy along with getting my unit to resume from my USB drive most of the time. Also has various other tweak and fixes. Worth a look. Steering wheel control people, it claims to have some fixes for that also...but I haven't looked into it much as I do not. One negative I have noticed is that when switching between sources, it get's a little confused and jumps back a forth for a second...I don't switch sources that often, so minor annoyance for me.

5. Droid VNC Server, Dropbear SSH Server(not my first choice and now discontinued, but works). Using VNC to capture screens, it's also nice to play around from the comfort of my house. A bit slow to refresh and makes some actions pretty difficult, but overall works well. Always nice to be able to SSH in and take a look around also.

6. AdAway - Host file ad blocker.

7. Mongoose web server - This is actually for running on a windows PC. Just throwing it in because it's handy. Basically just throw the executable in a directory of file you want to access remotely and start it up. Then you can browse to your pc from the Asteroid Smart web browser and download the stuff you are wanting to get on your device. Sure you could also start up the SSH Server and scp, or install and sftp server, but this is just handy sometime.

Anyway, hope this might help some folks out. I had nice helpful links in place for the apps, but XDA apparently did not care for that within my great wall of text. Not quite sure why it refused to let me post with the links... Anyway, let me know if you have any questions on things I've mentioned...
    Thank you, sounds great. Please keep us updated! :good:

So, i've managed to build a kernel, compile CWM and i'm in the process of compiling CM10.1

luckily my Big bro works for HP and has loaned me a VM on one of his HPCloud Farms.

my current issue is reverting to a working unit. if i replace the current recovery with CWM, i cant just put a stock rom back because the stock rom uses a PLF file. i was hoping that the PLF was just a renamed ZIP, but i dont think it is.

so, as you can understand i'm a bit wary of just flashing the recovery.img using ADB if i cant but it all back.. i've taken a copy of the mtd0 and mtd 1 devices but they're pretty useless if i cant get the thing to boot and its bricked..

i'll do some research and maybe even get in touch with parrot themselves to see what my options are..
    Hey everyone,

After a few failed attempts at getting the Play Store working on my Asteroid Smart I eventually got it to work, to be honest it wasn't complicated just long winded.

I have gone through the other write up's and some didn't work (at least for me anyway) so I thought I'd share 'my' installation process, if it helps 1 person then it was worth the effort :good:

1. Install Framaroot from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276 I used 1.4.1

I followed this video to install the apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4LSdZ3OBs

This is the installation procedure I followed for Framaroot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFVkjtxaWA

After installing Framaroot, take the little panel off the left hand side and reboot!

2. Download Root Browser Lite from here and Install.

3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk here & Vending.apk here and copy both files onto your SD card.

4, Install GoogleServicesFramework.apk

I then rebooted the Asteroid Smart.

5. Using Root Browser Lite, locate Vending.apk on your SD Card and copy the file to /system/app on the root of the Asteroid.

6. Long press the Vending.apk file and go to 'Permissions' I set Users/Group/Others to Read & Write access.

Again I rebooted the Asteroid.

7. Create a shortcut to Vending and login to your google account, at this point I did get an error but I just continued and logged in.

That was it :D It works perfectly!

I also installed used Market Helper from here to trick the Google Play Store into thinking my Asteroid was my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only issue I found doing this was that the setup screen didn't fit the Smart too well so I used 'Ultimate Rotation Control' downloaded from the play store to set the screen into Portrait mode while I used Market Helper.

I now have CoPilot live installed :good:

I know it's a bit long but it worked for me, hopefully it will be of use to others :cool:
    We now have root :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    So, today i created an Amazon AWS EC2 instance with the sole intention of porting Jellybean to the Asteroid Smart.

i've never port a ROM before and this will be a very steep learning Curve, but i'm hoping that due to the lack of built in Radio Modems and other boards that it should be easier that other devices. Famous last words eh?

i'll prob make a separate Thread for my progress but if anyone has any experience to share, please feel free.