3G not working on SGH-T999 in Europe

Search This thread

Boxinom

May 29, 2013
Hi guys,

I bought a t-mobile samsung galaxy s3 lte in the states when I was travelling around earlier this year.
I am now back in Norway, and I only get EDGE-speed on the phone, and i know the phone supports 2100mhz wcdma.

During the last weeks I have googled and tried everything for finding a solution, so posting here would be the last attempt to fix the phone before buying a s4.. (International, will never buy a us-version again)

When i select wcdma in the settings the status bar shows the "no-signal"-picture. When i then try to search for networks it gives me the "error while searcing"-message.

Things I've tried:
-Rooted the phone and tried all versions of the sgh-t999 modems which has been uploaded on xda-dev.
-Tried about every custom rom that is available for the phone.
-punching *#2263# and select wcdma int-2000 (This is 2100mhz i hope)
-imei no is still there

So I really hope someone can have a solution for me here. I really love fixing gadgets, but this thing is killing me. Starting to think this could be a hardware issue. GSM is working, so that didnt give any sence either..
Hoping someone out there have a solutions for configure the phone for wcdma2100 or something.

Looking forward to hearing from you wise people! http://xdaforums.com/images/smilies/cowboy.gif

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Who is your service provider? I'm almost positive it will not work, and if you bought the phone earlier in the year you didn't buy the LTE version you bought the regular S3 with HSPA+ capabilities only.

Boxinom

May 29, 2013
Who is your service provider? I'm almost positive it will not work, and if you bought the phone earlier in the year you didn't buy the LTE version you bought the regular S3 with HSPA+ capabilities only.

Service provider is Telenor, and you're right it wasnt lte. Why wouldnt it work? the phone is quad band, and do support wcdma 2100.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A and help sections
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

bwana_zulu

Nov 22, 2009
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 8T
Hi Boxinom, your problem might be out-dated but even though I post the reply so that it could help others :) I encountered the same problem in Poland with my T999 from US T-Mobile. Only EDGE worked and the most strange was that every time I switched from WCDMA int-2000 to GSM 900 and then back to WCDMA int-2000 (eg using *#2263#) the phone used to receive 4G signal for a while (I used Network Signal Info app to monitor it), used to show 4G on the title bar and HSPA or HSDPA network type in Network Signal Info. Afterwards 4G signal showed by Network Signal Info used to weaken gradually and after a couple of seconds the phone used to lose the 4G coverage at all and used to switch to EDGE. This ensured me that T999 US TMO is capable to work in WCDMA/UMTS 2100 band. After a long time of struggling finally I have found a solution. I had restored NV data backup from a T999L into my T999 and after restart my phone has started to work in 4G permanently ;) I followed this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2344627&page=34 and found there the NV data backup file from T999L. Obviously I have created the backup of my original NV data before and I strictly advice you to do the same. On the end just one word of explanation: 3G in Europe (3G, H, H+) is called 4G in US. Hope this let others solve that problem with 3G/4G in Europe as well. Good luck. Michal