[Q] Mobile Network Not Available - Samsung Galaxy S2

Search This thread

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Hey guys,

This is my first post here so please be nice :p I will try be as informative as I can!

Last week my aunt got a Samsung Galaxy S2 as an upgrade after my recommendation. She loved the look of things and liked how she could access Youtube and Facebook but then she got locked out of her phone completely and couldn't get back in because she didn't know her Gmail account.

After a bit of research I found out that I should do 'Hard Reset' and all should be back to normal afterwards, I did so and everything looked okay.

After giving the phone back to her my aunt said she no longer wanted it and gave it to me because it was too 'complicated'. Obviously I was overjoyed as my current phone does not even compare to this beast!

I put in my Orange sim, (hers was Orange too) turned on the Wi-Fi to update all the apps not even noticing that the 3g icon wasn't on. I could see the phone had some signal so I thought everything was okay. It was only when I tried to call my dad of the phone that I realised something was wrong. It said 'Mobile Network not Available'.

I have found many threads about 'rooting' or IMEI but I don't understand what they mean as I am a newbie in all of this.

I would send the phone for repair but it does not have insurance so that's a no go. The phone came unlocked too so I don't understand why it's doing this. The sim I put in works on my old phone so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it.

What should I do?

Looking forward to your replies :)

Reactions: dukedusty

samgalaxys2

Mar 31, 2012
durham
Remove your battery and your sum card.
Wait 10 seconds put them back in and reboot.
If problem still exists go to
settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks. Select your carrier network.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Reactions: Wiska

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Thank you for your replies samgalaxys2 and dred_up, I appreciate it!

I tried doing what you said samgalaxys2 but nothing's changed, I tried doing it myself before but no luck :(

In reply to your questions on the other thread I can confirm that my sim works as it works on my old phone. I can also create contacts on the sim too.

I don't know what the EFS folder is but when I dial that number you said (*#06# ) I can also confirm that the IMEI is the same number shown in my settings and underneath the battery.

What should I do?

Wiska.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The fault = put your sim in the phone then not working .

First step has to be to get a new sim .

That would be followed by either a return to a service centre or via XDA a flash of new stock firmware .

jje

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
Have you tried the Access Point Names in the network settings, mine changed it's self after flashing a new rom.

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Hello JJEgan, I have tried various working sim cards and it doesn't make a difference, I even tried a brand new T-Mobile sim. In the 'About Phone' section I can clearly see the Sim's name but it always says Out Of Service underneath.

I have tried that too s.d.oconnor, at times it doesn't work and when it does it says something like 'Network Updated' but nothing changes.

What do you guys mean by 'Flash of new Stock Firmware' & 'Flashing new Rom'

Sorry for the amount of questions guys, I have never experienced something like this before :(

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Hello JJEgan, I have tried various working sim cards and it doesn't make a difference, I even tried a brand new T-Mobile sim. In the 'About Phone' section I can clearly see the Sim's name but it always says Out Of Service underneath.

I have tried that too s.d.oconnor, at times it doesn't work and when it does it says something like 'Network Updated' but nothing changes.

What do you guys mean by 'Flash of new Stock Firmware' & 'Flashing new Rom'

Sorry for the amount of questions guys, I have never experienced something like this before :(

Stock - unbranded Samsung roms .

Stock Roms .and csc

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

jje

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Hmm okay,

I followed the thread and had to do it at-least 3 times before I could do it 'correctly'

I managed to get Ice Cream Sandwich OS on the phone and although I could now use the sims internet I can't use it to call or access my voicemail.

What can I do to fix this?

If I have to download a new rom could you copy the link because I think that maybe that's where I went wrong?

I am sorry but I tried my best as it is my first time doing all of this.

I think the Rom should be an XX as the phone and myself are in England plus my network is Orange :)

Wiska.

Last edited:

Nyssa1104

Jul 9, 2010
Saint Denis
You can use the Dutch firmware XEN without problems...
Also is your fone a i9100P (NFC) or standard i9100?
Or take fone into Orange or a Samsung repair centre to have it checked out.

Last edited:

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Hmm do you recommend I Flash it again and get XEN?

Do you think they'll repair it even though it has been flashed? I've got ICSandwich on it and I don't think Orange has released it yet lol

I tried to change the APN but nothing is happening :(

Last edited:

fred_up

Jul 14, 2008
Hmm do you recommend I Flash it again and get XEN?

Do you think they'll repair it even though it has been flashed? I've got ICSandwich on it and I don't think Orange has released it yet lol

I tried to change the APN but nothing is happening :(

If it was a Orange (UK) branded phone, then first download, install and run Triange_away app. This will reset the custom rom flashing counter and take away any triangle at boot up (if present).

Next you need to download and flash the BVKJ4 rom from * HERE * - it is the latest official Orange UK ROM. It will wipe the phone to factory setting and you will loose root. It may solve your problem, but if it doesn't it will put your phone back to valid warranty for the service centre.

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Sorry for the late reply, the amount of work college gave us yesterday was just too much! :(

Thank you for the link fred_up but the links are dead :eek:
Thank you for trying to help though, I really appreciate it mate!

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Search for the stock rom you're after on Samfirmware.com.

Edit to add - Make a note of the rom details from Intra's thread (the one you were linked to where the links don't work), that will make searching Samfirmware easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiska

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
Thank you MistahBungle!

I am downloading what looks to be the firmware I need right now so fingers crossed it works!

Many thanks for the help mate! I will keep you updated if it works or not :)

Wiska

Apr 15, 2012
London
I tried the latest Orange one but that didn't do anything, I then tried using the Carphone Warehouse one and although the 3G internet stuff works I can't call or text!

This is so annoying lol, any advice?
The phone isn't locked or anything as my aunt gave it to me, what can be the problem?

dominik246

Nov 18, 2010
Zupanja
I tried the latest Orange one but that didn't do anything, I then tried using the Carphone Warehouse one and although the 3G internet stuff works I can't call or text!

This is so annoying lol, any advice?
The phone isn't locked or anything as my aunt gave it to me, what can be the problem?

toot the damn phone

Tefanym

Aug 12, 2011
Kiel
had same problem , just wipe data/factory reset, and cache then make a clean install of ur rom , and request the APNs again from your carrier
at first u can just delete the APN settings of ur carrier and try to get them again from it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

This is my first post here so please be nice :p I will try be as informative as I can!

Last week my aunt got a Samsung Galaxy S2 as an upgrade after my recommendation. She loved the look of things and liked how she could access Youtube and Facebook but then she got locked out of her phone completely and couldn't get back in because she didn't know her Gmail account.

After a bit of research I found out that I should do 'Hard Reset' and all should be back to normal afterwards, I did so and everything looked okay.

After giving the phone back to her my aunt said she no longer wanted it and gave it to me because it was too 'complicated'. Obviously I was overjoyed as my current phone does not even compare to this beast!

I put in my Orange sim, (hers was Orange too) turned on the Wi-Fi to update all the apps not even noticing that the 3g icon wasn't on. I could see the phone had some signal so I thought everything was okay. It was only when I tried to call my dad of the phone that I realised something was wrong. It said 'Mobile Network not Available'.

I have found many threads about 'rooting' or IMEI but I don't understand what they mean as I am a newbie in all of this.

I would send the phone for repair but it does not have insurance so that's a no go. The phone came unlocked too so I don't understand why it's doing this. The sim I put in works on my old phone so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it.

What should I do?

Looking forward to your replies :)
    Remove your battery and your sum card.
    Wait 10 seconds put them back in and reboot.
    If problem still exists go to
    settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks. Select your carrier network.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    Search for the stock rom you're after on Samfirmware.com.

Edit to add - Make a note of the rom details from Intra's thread (the one you were linked to where the links don't work), that will make searching Samfirmware easier.