[Q] is S-OFF worth it right now?

Search This thread

mukklemome

Feb 19, 2012
The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?

rbaruch

Dec 17, 2011
The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?

I mean its pretty fool proof. If you don't get it on the first try, you'll get it on the seventh try, 12th try etc.

Right now I have no use for it. No custom roms demand for it. But it's nice to finally have :)

probablecauz69

Mar 23, 2010

i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot

sdaters

Dec 5, 2011
Washington, DC
i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot

I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.

MildewMan

Dec 25, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
Unless you're an avid splash screen flasher, then it's probably not worth it at the moment. The process isn't really that bad; it just requires a bit of finesse and timing. The controlbear script will keep asking you to do the wire trick until you touch the pin to ground the first time. If you don't touch the second time at the right moment, the process will fail, and you just have to reload controlbear and try the wire trick again. Don't let it intimidate you. ;)

I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.

Right. The main benefit from the future is if HTC/T-Mo release a new radio for the Amaze, you won't have to lock your bootloader and go back to stock to upgrade it. You'll be able to install it directly with S-OFF.

alx294

Sep 3, 2010

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT PAPERCLIP!!!! the parts of your phone being touched with that paperclip are very sensitive, the reason they're being touched is to short out your phone for the exploit, so if you have any kind of static energy on you, it can literally fry your phone, thats why they tell you to use an insulated wire.

but other benefits to s-off include:
more options and higher probability of getting out of a brick
flash splash screens :)
flash radios and kernels in recovery (like the one for arhd)
superCID (to flash other carriers RUU's)
and a few other little things like having your hboot say juopunutbear :p (literally translates to drunken bear, thats why they give him beer, fyi)

hope i helped :)

G

glacierguy

I've got a twist tie from a bag of bread and stripped the ends.

Sent from my HTC Amaze running Sense 3.5

F033x

Aug 5, 2009
Hell
its more bragging rights than anything i think, i used a paper clip after unsuccessful tries with bag ties, cat-5 wires, and regular insulated wire.

i think for most its just nice to have finally obtained s-off after lusting for it since october.

marleyfan61

Aug 19, 2010
Surrey
but other benefits to s-off include:
higher probability of getting out of a brick

Actually I think there is greater likelihood of bricking your phone when you have s-off. S-on is pretty tough to brick. S-off leaves your phone more vulnerable to corrupted flashes, particularly when flashing radios.

No question you have (or will have) more options to flash with s-off but right now with EXT4 recovery there's no real point to s-off. Personally, I'm going to wait.

alx294

Sep 3, 2010
Actually I think there is greater likelihood of bricking your phone when you have s-off. S-on is pretty tough to brick. S-off leaves your phone more vulnerable to corrupted flashes, particularly when flashing radios.

No question you have (or will have) more options to flash with s-off but right now with EXT4 recovery there's no real point to s-off. Personally, I'm going to wait.

i only meant you could flash an eng s-off hboot, just wanted to put it in a way that made more sense :)

G

glacierguy

It's worth it now thanks to Football for leaking the ICS ROM :D

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Ray196

Feb 23, 2012
spring valley
I personally like the freedom you get from having S-off. but if you dont feel good about doing it, you can wait for an easier S-off solution. This is ICS for Tmo, so you only need S-off if you are on a different carrier. cuz you gonna have to Super Cid