Is AT&T G2's bootloader unlocked by default?

Search This thread

penser

Jan 17, 2013
I see all these threads about flashing recovery and rooting on all carriers, so I just want to be sure, is it unlocked by default? If not, is there a way to unlock it?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

penser

Jan 17, 2013
no it is not and no you can't unlock it. You can use loki to flash a recovery on it and then flash roms.

Loki is basically a bypass that allows you to have a custom recovery, right? Or is it just like a bootstrap/safestrap that requires you to have the stock ROM/kernel still installed?

And does Loki do a factory reset as if you had unlocked your bootloader?

rquiett

Jan 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Loki is basically a bypass that allows you to have a custom recovery, right? Or is it just like a bootstrap/safestrap that requires you to have the stock ROM/kernel still installed?

And does Loki do a factory reset as if you had unlocked your bootloader?

when I flashed loki and recovery and root I did not have a factory reset so everything was still there. Also it allows you to flash roms you don't have to stay on stock

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Coming from a Nexus, the procedure is a little different.

What you do is hook it up to the PC and run a script to gain ROOT. Then you download FreeGee and flash a Custom recovery. Pretty straight up. Doesn't require factory resets at all.

And I DO highly recommend using stock for about a week before you flash AOSP roms. The Stock rom is very nice, feature rich, and polished.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
here is a link to an explanation of loki given by the creator. it was originally made when the galaxy s4 came out to get past samsungs security called knox but has evolved to work on other devices like lg. it doesnt support most manufacturers, just the ones dan wrote it to support.

https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

penser

Jan 17, 2013
Coming from a Nexus, the procedure is a little different.

What you do is hook it up to the PC and run a script to gain ROOT. Then you download FreeGee and flash a Custom recovery. Pretty straight up. Doesn't require factory resets at all.

And I DO highly recommend using stock for about a week before you flash AOSP roms. The Stock rom is very nice, feature rich, and polished.

I just want to make sure phones I'm looking at are able to be messed with, so I'm not stuck with something stuffed to the brim with bloat forever. I usually stick with stock for a while before switching to custom ROMs.

One last question (I may be lying about that), does the G2 handle 4-6ft drops well? I read one article that said it's about on par with iPhones there.

Last edited: