Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE vs Google Play Edition...which is more preferable?

Search This thread

vincentallen2

Jul 9, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
$349.99!

no tax for me. they are based out of NY so i think if you reside in NYC theyll add the state sales tax.

hey guys, if youre in the market for a z ultra, this online retailer has them @ a great price with FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING, and a 8GB microsd(yes i know 8gb, but its free. very nice of them)

i purchased the purple variant c6806, but they also have white and black. my phone is arriving today, just waiting on UPS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029741-REG/sony_1275_9557_16gb_xperia_z_ultra.html
This is one hell of a find! Free 8gb micro SD card, Free overnight shipping, and no tax! All For less than $350. Man i wish i had some extra cash...

TravisBean

Sep 18, 2009
Digital Domain
hey guys, if youre in the market for a z ultra, this online retailer has them @ a great price with FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING, and a 8GB microsd(yes i know 8gb, but its free. very nice of them)

i purchased the purple variant c6806, but they also have white and black. my phone is arriving today, just waiting on UPS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029741-REG/sony_1275_9557_16gb_xperia_z_ultra.html
I once ordered a product from B&H that was advertised as brand new, but was clearly a very used product with visible wear marks by the stop/play buttons. They did accept a return (at my expense for shipping). Had to wait for them to send me a check.

asadkhanduhh

Mar 9, 2012
travisbean,

im sorry to hear of your bad experience with b&h.

im certain this happens with even the best retailers in the world.

the xperia z ultra i received was sealed on both sides of the box, and seemingly brand new.

TravisBean

Sep 18, 2009
Digital Domain
Back to the original subject:

I don't plan on rooting the phone, infact I'm probably gonna use it primarily as a small tablet. Which of the 2 versions runs more smoothly for game play, internet surfing, and viewing movies ?

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011

I don't plan on rooting the phone, infact I'm probably gonna use it primarily as a small tablet. Which of the 2 versions runs more smoothly for game play, internet surfing, and viewing movies ?

I have had both versions, but don't play games so can't comment on that. As for movies and Web I use third party apps for both (MX Player and Xscope Pro) which seem to work equally well on either one. The one thing I can think of that you wouldn't be able to do on GPe without root that you could on Sony Ultra is the FM radio.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York

If you are going to use it as a tablet, use either a GPe or GPe ROM on the Sony edition, alternatively something like CM, CandyKat, SlimKat or PAC. The reason is very simple:

Sony ROMs break the notification bar (4.4.x based) when DPI is lowered to 240 and phablet/tablet mode is enabled

They just can't handle this mode at all because of the quick toggles modification Sony implemented. What happens is that the notification area becomes completely empty. Because of this, the only ROM choice for a 240 DPI Ultra is either the GPe ROM or other AOSP/AOKP/CM based ROMs since they handle this perfectly.

I would still go for the Sony edition due to a better ROM selection even if I currently use the GPe ROM on my device. On the other hand: if the idea is to use the GPe and perhaps a custom kernel together with Xposed Framework rather than other ROMs, then the Google edition is an adequate choice.

Still: The Sony ROM is completely out of the question as a phablet/tablet ROM because of this notification issue.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
If the idea is to use it to its fullest potential, rooting and Xposed Framework is highly recommended, especially considering the GPe stock DPI of 400. The Ultra shines on 240 DPI phablet mode, phone mode on such a huge display is.... not optimum.

GPe + root + 240 DPI + Xposed Framework is the way to go for best utilization of the device.

TravisBean

Sep 18, 2009
Digital Domain
Well life does indeed provide pleasant surprises from time to time. I ordered the GPE Ultra Z from Expansys for $334.99. It came brand spanking new in a factory sealed box. I honestly figured that at this price point it would be some kind of "B Stock" item, or a scratch n' dent.
Thank you Expansys !!

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
Well life does indeed provide pleasant surprises from time to time. I ordered the GPE Ultra Z from Expansys for $334.99. It came brand spanking new in a factory sealed box. I honestly figured that at this price point it would be some kind of "B Stock" item, or a scratch n' dent.
Thank you Expansys !!

Sweet! Be sure to be here and help when you receive Lollipop on it, which will probably happen in the next few weeks. We need it so we can port it to the regular Ultra :cool:

jaj324

May 17, 2012
I paid 329 for a brand new, sealed Xperia Z Ultra. The Sony skin is awesome on this big screen.

sprsk

Apr 29, 2005
Goodmorning from Greece,

The only thing that bother me is the mediocre Camera ... but , here we can buy the Xperia edition from 240 euros , its almost 280 USD .
Its the C6833 model , There is no GPe on the market , only Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
Is it a bargain ? Shall i go for Xperia or GPe ?

I just heard that sony is going to provide lollipop ( Android 5 ) for the device .
If this is correct both editions gonna be upgraded or just GPe ?
" edit "
just read it , so its official
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/10...d-5-0-lollipop-to-the-entire-xperia-z-series/

I dont plan to root the phone and i need it for business. I need the big Screen . Use, is mainly as Phone ( im gonna get a BT ) + lots of internet

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Trust me, I've had more than 20 Android phones and never stayed on stock, the first thing I always do is install CynogenMod or any custom ROM, but for the Z Ultra, it has an unmatched user experience which is better that any other ROM, it fits very nicely, and I'll never think of dumping Sony apps because they are the best out there, and they give the phone an added value. It's really wise to keep stock on this phone. I forgot to mention that it's the fastest I have ever seen and bug free.
    I also have the gpe and would've preferred the xperia version. All the native xperia apps are missing obviously and the Google alternatives aren't that great IMO.
    The Sony Edition is the best option in this case.

The problem with the GPe is that the partitioning has been changed, something that make it very problematic to cross-flash between GPe and Sony and no solution has been offered as of yet. The result is that the ROM selection for the Sony Edition is much better.

Since the GPe ROM has been ported and there are a couple of options including Sony based ones to choose from, the best route is to go with the Sony Edition. Even if you decide to run the GPe ROM (like I do for now), the better selection of ROMs such as Paranoid Android, PAC, SlimKat, CarbonROM etc favors the Sony Edition.

It is also worth to mention that the Sony Edition came out a couple of months before the GPe - the availability of it is also superior since it is being sold worldwide while the GPe can be sourced only from Google in the US. This means that more developers and users have the Sony version, hence more development of ROMs.

When it comes to Sony Editions, I would go for the C6802 (no LTE) or either C6806 or C6833 depending on location and the importance of LTE bands. I have the C6802 since I consider US LTE to be of no importance to me. If I would be in Sweden, I would take the C6833.

The reason for my LTE stance is the fact that decent data plans are cheaper in Sweden than in the US. I don't see any benefits of having 2 GB of LTE data since Internet browsing etc works great on the HSPA+ network of AT&T. I would not start going on Netflix etc with 2 GB of data.
    First, thanks for all the replies from everyone guys.

Second, @ adfurgerson, in order to port the GPe ROM over to the Sony, I"d have to root and unlock right?

I find it interesting that ROMs for the Sony won't work on the GPe. I was under some impression it'd be practically the same, and that the GPe version would be easier to root and unlock, but didn't know the real story behind it.

I whisked through some threads on here that gave me the impression that rooting and unlocking and loading custom roms was quite challenging on the Z Ultra, is this true?

Because of this, I thought I'd just keep it headache free and stick with stock.
    And for more controll rom i Installed App Ops

On that note, how is the Z Ultra stock? Or is it really that desirable to root/unlock/load custom rom? FOr example, I have an ASUS Transformer TF700, stock, the thing is frustratingly slow/laggy/buggy, IMO, you MUST root/unlock/load custom ROM on that device to make it "functional"/ really appreciate the machine. Another example is the GS3 and GS4, I know plenty of people who are ok with stock.

THanks again to all. Looks like I'm leaning towards the Sony edition, the two grips I had with the z Ultra in general were: lack of LED flash(I like having a "flashlight" on my phones), and perhaps the "small" battery for such a large device.

Im using the Sony ultra (c6833) stock and rooted with unlocked bootloader . After i tried almost all of them rom i got back to stock sony rom and installed xposed and changed some stuff :). I even have the DooMKernel kernel on it and works awsome :D
    @ssnova the GPe was very much usable stock and I tried to convince myself to leave it that way. Unlocking , rooting and recovery was easy enough. I must admit I am unsure on which methods are current for Sony so won't comment there. I plan to do more testing of this over the weekend, if it works it would take one factor out of the equation.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2746562