Titanium Backup cannot write on external SD card

Search This thread

baddison

Aug 11, 2006
USA
Its really ridiculous that we cannot change permissions on folders and files, even when rooted. I was able to backup my N6 to my sdcard. But now, after a fresh ROM install, I cannot even read the folders to perform the restore. *sigh*....so frustrating. I tried all the solutions here, and have even been able to modify the platform.xml file directly. but titanium backup will still not see the backups on the sdcard. smh

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Its really ridiculous that we cannot change permissions on folders and files, even when rooted. I was able to backup my N6 to my sdcard. But now, after a fresh ROM install, I cannot even read the folders to perform the restore. *sigh*....so frustrating. I tried all the solutions here, and have even been able to modify the platform.xml file directly. but titanium backup will still not see the backups on the sdcard. smh

I think there is some feature in TB that you need to use if you are moving files from one device to another; in the IMPORT/EXPORT section of the Menu. But to be honest, its been a while, and I've never done a huge migration of files (usually just a few apps).

Last edited:
Reactions: baddison

baddison

Aug 11, 2006
USA
If you can't read, its probably not a permissions issue. You may need to re-format the card.

See if you can copy your TB files to your computer, format the card, then put the TB files back on SD. Some folks have had issues with the M8 reading cards (need to reformat), but computers or other devices read fine.

Believe it or not - this worked!! OMG - spent hours tryna reassign permissions to files & folders, and to put them in different access groups. Thanks for the suggestion. :good: Once I unmounted/then remounted the drive I was able to access all my previous backups!

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Believe it or not - this worked!! OMG - spent hours tryna reassign permissions to files & folders, and to put them in different access groups. Thanks for the suggestion. :good: Once I unmounted/then remounted the drive I was able to access all my previous backups!

Interesting, after reading your post (#22) again, I thought your issue might be something different, and actually changed my response (Post #23 versus what you quoted). But it appears that my original "fix" was the correct one, so luckily you read it before I edited it!

Either way, happy to have helped! Yes, SD card reading on this device seems to be a bit finicky. A number folks have had similar issues like yours (although I haven't).

Last edited:

nath6284

Apr 11, 2011
Titanium Backup won't write to External SD Card - Marshmallow

Those that are now running Marshmallow try this...
1. Open Titanium>Menu>Preferences>Backup Folder Location
2. Press ''Storage provider: Filesystem (click to change)'
3. Press 'DocumentProvider storage'
4. Select your SD Card and press 'Select'
5. Create a new folder
6. Press 'Use the Current Folder'

If you already have a backup in place, it will ask you if you want to move it to the new location.

Now you should be able to back up to your SD Card without losing security on the rest of your SD Card. :D

Last edited:

uzziah0

Jan 14, 2008
Sony Xperia XZ1
I read the help or FAQ from TB and found they suggest writing to
\SD Card\Android\data\com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup\file

I created a folder in there BackUp and that worked.
It did ask to move all my backups from internal memory, so I let it do that.
I verified the internal back up copies were gone (or I deleted them, can't remember), and the ones on the SD card are good and recognized my TB.

megagrumpy

Jun 20, 2016
5. Create a new folder

If you already have a backup in place, it will ask you if you want to move it to the new location.

Now you should be able to back up to your SD Card without losing security on the rest of your SD Card. :D

Thanks - spent hours trying to solve this and even posted question on Titanium product support. No answer from them yet but this solved it.

Wolfie2016

Jul 2, 2016
5. Create a new folder

Thank you so much for teaching me about the new mount point. I had been fighting that for a while with lollipop. Now I know where to look, not just for Titanium, but other apps as well.

Top Liked Posts