Cheapest route for getting the Note 10+

Search This thread

phillthedrill

Hey all, I have a Verizon Note 8 and trying to see different options of getting a Note 10+. Some have said they get an unlocked phone and then put the sim card in from the Note 8 which saves paying for activation. I know Best Buy is probably the cheapest (well, Verizon's $450 is the cheapest signing up for one of their unlimited plans) but I'm still grandfathered in from unlimited years ago and have 450 minutes which I'm fine with. I just don't want to get off grandfathered unlimited to paying higher for their fake unlimited (slowing after 22GB in congested areas). So, is it true in order to save paying activation is just to use the old sim card? Here's the thing though.....unlocked is still $1,099 through Best Buy or if you activate it today, it drops it down to $1,049 but once you go in and add to preorder, you still see $40 upgrade fee regardless. The other thing I was thinking of was doing a 24 month on Best Buy's 0% interest card and trading in the Note 8 for $300 off. I'm just confused which way to go. Does anyone know or have options that might be the best way to go?

Hey all, I have a Verizon Note 8 and trying to see different options of getting a Note 10+. Some have said they get an unlocked phone and then put the sim card in from the Note 8 which saves paying for activation. I know Best Buy is probably the cheapest (well, Verizon's $450 is the cheapest signing up for one of their unlimited plans) but I'm still grandfathered in from unlimited years ago and have 450 minutes which I'm fine with. I just don't want to get off grandfathered unlimited to paying higher for their fake unlimited (slowing after 22GB in congested areas). So, is it true in order to save paying activation is just to use the old sim card? Here's the thing though.....unlocked is still $1,099 through Best Buy or if you activate it today, it drops it down to $1,049 but once you go in and add to preorder, you still see $40 upgrade fee regardless. The other thing I was thinking of was doing a 24 month on Best Buy's 0% interest card and trading in the Note 8 for $300 off. I'm just confused which way to go. Does anyone know or have options that might be the best way to go?
I am in the same boat with a Note 8. Already paying for multiple phones etc. On shared 18GB XX Plan.

In the my Verizon app I did the whole thing via chat. Turns out a mint Note 8 can be used for trade-in but only for a $157 discount. Got an extra line for $450 off instead, while switching my plan (old plan was only 5$ less).... Verizon rep told me about a loophole: when new phone is activated, switch the phone numbers of the two phones. Then, cancel the service for the old phone! I hope she wasn't lying. They keep saying it will only be here by the 23rd, no sooner. Ugh!

- R. Kruse Ludington

Galaxy Note 8<-5<-3<-S3<-Nexus; Droid X; HTC HD2<-Touch Pro 2<-Tilt<-8525; O2 XDA II<-XDA; Motorola StarTac

phillthedrill

I am in the same boat with a Note 8. Already paying for multiple phones etc. On shared 18GB XX Plan.

In the my Verizon app I did the whole thing via chat. Turns out a mint Note 8 can be used for trade-in but only for a $157 discount. Got an extra line for $450 off instead, while switching my plan (old plan was only 5$ less).... Verizon rep told me about a loophole: when new phone is activated, switch the phone numbers of the two phones. Then, cancel the service for the old phone! I hope she wasn't lying. They keep saying it will only be here by the 23rd, no sooner. Ugh!

- R. Kruse Ludington

Galaxy Note 8<-5<-3<-S3<-Nexus; Droid X; HTC HD2<-Touch Pro 2<-Tilt<-8525; O2 XDA II<-XDA; Motorola StarTac

Ahh, I see what you're saying.....setup a new line for $450 off, then switch your main number to that line and the $450 off number to your main account and make the $450 off your main account and close the other one to save money. I would definitely do that and I see that being a loophole, the only thing is, that wouldn't work for me for keeping the unlimited grandfathered plan. But I could see it definitely working for you. :)

Ahh, I see what you're saying.....setup a new line for $450 off, then switch your main number to that line and the $450 off number to your main account and make the $450 off your main account and close the other one to save money. I would definitely do that and I see that being a loophole, the only thing is, that wouldn't work for me for keeping the unlimited grandfathered plan. But I could see it definitely working for you. :)

If this is the promotional finance credit? Don't do this. I tried that with the pixel 3 XL. Lost my $300 off credit and now I'm stuck paying full price. I even verified with Verizon that I could do this. Was told yes. It didn't work. When I called and inquired about it, I was told that I needed to keep the phone on that line for the promotional credit. Huge lesson learned for me.

Reactions: KruseLudsMobile
If this is the promotional finance credit? Don't do this. I tried that with the pixel 3 XL. Lost my $300 off credit and now I'm stuck paying full price. I even verified with Verizon that I could do this. Was told yes. It didn't work. When I called and inquired about it, I was told that I needed to keep the phone on that line for the promotional credit. Huge lesson learned for me.
Well, I can try to get it in writing from someone at the store I can do that and also get in writing that if it turns out that is not acceptable that I will later give them the note 8 (even if it is by then outside the promotional period) and demand the $157 credit.... Ugh!

- R. Kruse Ludington

Reactions: mchief298
I spoke with Verizon at length about this. They swear up and down that I will get the $450 credit as soon as they receive the old phone back, regardless of the value of the note 8 being returned. I am thinking I will return the old phone at the store and ask for a receipt for $450 anyway.

- R. Kruse Ludington

I spoke with Verizon at length about this. They swear up and down that I will get the $450 credit as soon as they receive the old phone back, regardless of the value of the note 8 being returned. I am thinking I will return the old phone at the store and ask for a receipt for $450 anyway. After much examination I also discovered I was somewhat bamboozled, they switched me to an unlimited plan as well (which is however only $5 more/mo. than what I am already paying so I did agree to it). I noticed a link from Verizon which stated you actually can do the trade in without getting a new line for the $450 discount, but only if you go to an unlimited plan...). With the promotion for the $450 discount three years ago to go from the Note 5 to the Note 8 there were no other caveats such as an unlimited plan... AND FYI the current unlimited plan is only full speed (not throttled) until you go over 25GB on any single phone on the plan... and I am told the speed on only that phone is then throttled way back... Also the agreement you sign states that at times of heavy network traffic the speed may decline (which I guess is to be expected)...

- R. Kruse Ludington

Galaxy Note 8

Last edited:

thegipper

Jan 21, 2010
I totally missed the detail for the trade in promo (trade in a select device get 450 off) where you need to have an unlimited plan. I already pre-ordered the phone. I'm assuming the unlimited plan is quite a bit more than my 5gb/month plan. Well, this sucks....

I wonder if I can switch my plan to unlimited for a month or two until the trade in credit goes into effect then switch back to my 5gb plan and keep the discount.

After reading this (below), it sounds like if you change anything on your plan that doesn't meet the requirements of the promotion, you lose the promotion discount. Looks like I have to go with an unlimited plan...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note-10-tradein-faqs/

Last edited:
I totally missed the detail for the trade in promo (trade in a select device get 450 off) where you need to have an unlimited plan. I already pre-ordered the phone. I'm assuming the unlimited plan is quite a bit more than my 5gb/month plan. Well, this sucks....

I wonder if I can switch my plan to unlimited for a month or two until the trade in credit goes into effect then switch back to my 5gb plan and keep the discount.

After reading this (below), it sounds like if you change anything on your plan that doesn't meet the requirements of the promotion, you lose the promotion discount. Looks like I have to go with an unlimited plan...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note-10-tradein-faqs/
Yes I did too. Is Verizon your carrier? If not, you can get an additional $200 Prepaid MasterCard port-in promotion for a total of $650 in savings... However I was already on Verizon...

- R. Kruse Ludington

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, I can try to get it in writing from someone at the store I can do that and also get in writing that if it turns out that is not acceptable that I will later give them the note 8 (even if it is by then outside the promotional period) and demand the $157 credit.... Ugh!

- R. Kruse Ludington