Disabling authors screensaver

Search This thread

Martin-Doc

Jun 2, 2012
Brno, Czech Republic
Is it possible to completely disable the automatic activation of the screensaver? I don't see it in settings, the longest interval for this to happen is 1 hour, but no option to disable it completely. I already installed the No Lock app, but this only helped me to get rid of the slide to unlock screen. Thank you for any ideas.

Martin

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
Is it possible to completely disable the automatic activation of the screensaver? I don't see it in settings, the longest interval for this to happen is 1 hour, but no option to disable it completely. I already installed the No Lock app, but this only helped me to get rid of the slide to unlock screen. Thank you for any ideas.

Martin
All settings are here:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/Settings.System.html

In you case you'll need:
adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
-- check current value
select * from system where name='screen_off_timeout';
120000 - 2 min
3600000 - 1 hour
2147483647 = 596.5 hours

-- set
update system set value='2147483647' where name='screen_off_timeout';
.q
^d

or you can pull/mod/push alternatively. :eek:

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Won't disabling the screensaver keep the screen and IR sensors active, thus eating up battery life significantly when not in use?

I know some folks would like to get rid of the swipe, waking up on a screen tap (mostly for accessibility issues), but I think some sort of screen (actually, battery) saver is still important.

Great link, ApokrifX. Would you happen to know if WIFI_SLEEP_POLICY does anything on the NST? I use Tasker to shut wifi off when the screen goes off, but I wonder if that might be easier?

Last edited:

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
No idea.
I bet, it won't work... :eek:
Try and let us know? ;)
I need to find a program that will let me know when wifi is on or off relative to the screen. On other devices, I can see that info in the battery status, but I'm not finding a similar option for the NST.

I *did* find a little program that would toggle it, but the NST lasts so long on battery, it's hard to tell if it's making any difference.

userbe

Jun 17, 2007
Last edited:

_ig_

Aug 18, 2012
Won't disabling the screensaver keep the screen and IR sensors active, thus eating up battery life significantly when not in use?

This makes a lot of sense... it explains my battery drain when the screen gets stuck on the "drag to unlock your NOOK" page after a reboot. Basically you have to make sure the Nook really goes to sleep.

Disabling the IR sensors and wifi are then the key to long battery life on the NST.

Malibee

Jul 9, 2011
For anyone trying this technique: I used the pull/mod/push approach and Renate's recommendation of a -1 value, and everything seems to be working well, but I had to powercyle (power down, then power up) my Nook to get the change to take effect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Martin
    All settings are here:
    http://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/Settings.System.html

In you case you'll need:
    adb shell
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    -- check current value
    select * from system where name='screen_off_timeout';
    120000 - 2 min
    3600000 - 1 hour
    2147483647 = 596.5 hours

-- set
    update system set value='2147483647' where name='screen_off_timeout';
    .q
    ^d

or you can pull/mod/push alternatively. :eek:
    Actually, to disable the screensaver completely:
    Code:
    update system set value=-1 where name='screen_off_timeout';

I haven't found a way to disable the keyguard yet, but if you have one of the side keys set as Menu that dismisses the keyguard.