[GUIDE}★Downgrade 4.3 to 4.1.2★Unlock bootloader★Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

berezker

Aug 19, 2012
MOD EDIT:

This method has been known to hard brick devices. If you don't believe me, just read the last couple pages of posts. If you still want to proceed, the risk is all yours.

THREAD CLOSED

It has been believed that it is impossible to downgrade 4.3 to 4.1 because of knox or something which i don't know about
But this tutorial will help you downgrade without sending your phone to some website which will run you about 50$
Anyways lets start

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR BELOVED PHONE SO DON'T BLAME ME

ALL LINKS ARE BELOW

★Pre-Requisites★

1. A verizon Galaxy S3 (duh :p)
2. Odin (any version)
3. 4.1.2 update MB1
4. 4.3 update ML1 ( I guess other 4.3 builds work. Please test and report)
6. Cygwin
5. A functioning brain

★Downgrading★

1. Download both 4.1.2 and 4.3 updates (MB1 and ML1 respectively)
2. Create a folder called ModedRom
3. Open the 4.3 update using Winzip
4. Extract a file called "NON-HLOS" and place it in the folder you just created
5. Open the 4.1.2 update using Winzip
6. Extract all files except "NON-HLOS" and "aboot.mbn" and place them in the folder you've created earlier
7. Download and install Cygwin
8. Go to Computer > C: > Cygwin folder > home > and create a folder and name it like your profile (When you log into windows)
9. Place all the files in the "ModedRom" folder there
10. Open cygwin.bat (In cygwin folder in C: drive)
11. Type in the following commands and wait for the "$" sign after each command

First:
tar -H ustar -c boot.img cache.img.ext4 NON-HLOS.bin recovery.img rpm.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn system.img.ext4 tz.mbn > S3ModedRom.tar

Second:
md5sum -t S3ModedRom.tar >> S3ModedRom.tar

Third:
mv S3ModedRom.tar S3ModedRom.tar.md5

12. Now there Should be a MD5 file created in the folder where you placed all the files in
13. Connect your device and flash the MD5 file created using Odin

★You have just downgraded to 4.1.2★

★Unlocking Bootloader , Root and Recovery★

1. Download Casual flashing program
2. Enable USB debugging
3. Root Your phone with the root option
4. Flash the insecure bootloader (This unlocks the bootloader)
5. Flash custom recovery of your choice

★Links★

4.1.2 MB1 update https://goo.gl/ZCrteg

4.3 ML1 update https://goo.gl/5WyL5O

Odin http://goo.gl/mkYG3P

Cygwin http://goo.gl/Kr5fEg

Casual program for Unlocking bootloader and Rooting and Recovery http://goo.gl/MYaxb2

★Credits★

Adam Outler
Djrbliss
Chainfire
TeamWin
Koush
BeansTown106
therealdavinci (Youtube Channel)

If I missed anyone just let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

-somebody-

Apr 2, 2011
GB
i do miss using my s3, itd be nice to get it unlocked (on NE1 as well). guess theres still a tiny shred of hope if 4.3 is finally able to get unlocked, nice to see someones still fighting the good fight.

berezker

Aug 19, 2012
can this be used to unlock already locked bootloaders?
I have NE1 and would be interested in this as would everybody else...
Yes it can be used on an already locked device
When I flashed official ML1 (Coming from CM11) the post that had the links said in big read words that flashing official 4.3 will lock bootloader FOREVER but i didn't give up and came up with this

Reactions: -somebody-

berezker

Aug 19, 2012
i do miss using my s3, itd be nice to get it unlocked (on NE1 as well). guess theres still a tiny shred of hope if 4.3 is finally able to get unlocked, nice to see someones still fighting the good fight.
I heard that you can downgrade from 4.4 to 4.3
If this is true then you can follow my tutorial to get back to 4.1 with all the goodies

Reactions: -somebody-

je2854

Oct 3, 2010
Houston, TX
downloading tonight and will try this at work tomorrow..
IF this successfully works from a NE1 standpoint I will
NOT hesitate to buy a week's worth of beer or lunch!

XxD34THxX

Nov 3, 2014
You cannot downgrade from NE1. again, a qfuse was tripped, and flashing the wrong thing will brick it.

rehpyc

Sep 30, 2010
A while back I had to send my phone in to Samsung for repair. When I got it back, I was crushed that it came back with a new, locked bootloader and 4.3 ML1 firmware :( This allowed me to jump back to 4.1.2 and unlock the bootloader.. AWESOME.

Reactions: faiyaz2810

enomele

Jun 16, 2010
chippewa
I've been trying this method since last night. I start with the ML1 installed. I do all the necessary steps to make the new tarball. I use Odin to flash the new file and when it reboots it gets stuck on the Verizon splash image (the one directly before it gets to the lockscreen) but goes no further. I shall keep trying, redoing the process. Ill post back if i get anywhere with it or if i find out i am dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD EDIT:

This method has been known to hard brick devices. If you don't believe me, just read the last couple pages of posts. If you still want to proceed, the risk is all yours.

THREAD CLOSED

It has been believed that it is impossible to downgrade 4.3 to 4.1 because of knox or something which i don't know about
    But this tutorial will help you downgrade without sending your phone to some website which will run you about 50$
    Anyways lets start

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR BELOVED PHONE SO DON'T BLAME ME

ALL LINKS ARE BELOW

★Pre-Requisites★

1. A verizon Galaxy S3 (duh :p)
    2. Odin (any version)
    3. 4.1.2 update MB1
    4. 4.3 update ML1 ( I guess other 4.3 builds work. Please test and report)
    6. Cygwin
    5. A functioning brain

★Downgrading★

1. Download both 4.1.2 and 4.3 updates (MB1 and ML1 respectively)
    2. Create a folder called ModedRom
    3. Open the 4.3 update using Winzip
    4. Extract a file called "NON-HLOS" and place it in the folder you just created
    5. Open the 4.1.2 update using Winzip
    6. Extract all files except "NON-HLOS" and "aboot.mbn" and place them in the folder you've created earlier
    7. Download and install Cygwin
    8. Go to Computer > C: > Cygwin folder > home > and create a folder and name it like your profile (When you log into windows)
    9. Place all the files in the "ModedRom" folder there
    10. Open cygwin.bat (In cygwin folder in C: drive)
    11. Type in the following commands and wait for the "$" sign after each command

First:
    tar -H ustar -c boot.img cache.img.ext4 NON-HLOS.bin recovery.img rpm.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn system.img.ext4 tz.mbn > S3ModedRom.tar

Second:
    md5sum -t S3ModedRom.tar >> S3ModedRom.tar

Third:
    mv S3ModedRom.tar S3ModedRom.tar.md5

12. Now there Should be a MD5 file created in the folder where you placed all the files in
    13. Connect your device and flash the MD5 file created using Odin

★You have just downgraded to 4.1.2★

★Unlocking Bootloader , Root and Recovery★

1. Download Casual flashing program
    2. Enable USB debugging
    3. Root Your phone with the root option
    4. Flash the insecure bootloader (This unlocks the bootloader)
    5. Flash custom recovery of your choice

★Links★

4.1.2 MB1 update https://goo.gl/ZCrteg

4.3 ML1 update https://goo.gl/5WyL5O

Odin http://goo.gl/mkYG3P

Cygwin http://goo.gl/Kr5fEg

Casual program for Unlocking bootloader and Rooting and Recovery http://goo.gl/MYaxb2

★Credits★

Adam Outler
    Djrbliss
    Chainfire
    TeamWin
    Koush
    BeansTown106
    therealdavinci (Youtube Channel)

If I missed anyone just let me know
    just stumbled on this after weeks of combing the internet for a possibly breakthrough to flash custom roms.

I got this device, tho refurbished. checking through the settings and about, it states I have - GT-I9300, ANDROID 4.3, Baseband Version : I9300ZCUBMLI

And the boot loader information:
    ODIN MODE
    Product Name: SCH-1535
    Custom Binary Download: Yes (1 counts)
    current binary: custom
    system status: none
    Qualcomm secureboot: enable
    warranty bit:1
    bootloader RP swerv: 1

Would this procedure work for my device?
    If you have 4.3 with locked bootloader then you're stuck with locked bootloader, this method doesn't bypass the locked bootloader, this let's you downgrade to 4.1.2 without the bootloader bricking the device.

What the OP did was take the 4.3 locked bootloader and used it to replace the 4.1.2 bootloader. Its 4.1.2 but it has the same locked bootloader that 4.3 has so no you're still not going to be able to use custom ROMs.

You may as well give up on wanting custom ROMs because its probably never going to happen unless some super hacker genius cracks Samsung's security protocols and figures out how to unlock the bootloader, and even then it might not work because there are also hardware features involved in securing the device so it can't be flashed, even if we find a way around the bootloader we still won't pass security checks and signatures which then would probably trigger Knox and then when it hits qfuse it'll activate qfuse and fry the motherboard which renders the device thoroughly dead forever.

Samsung invested a tremendous amount into preventing anyone from tampering with the device.

If you have the locked bootloader then you're stuck with having to use Safestrap Recovery and modified stock ROMs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    can this be used to unlock already locked bootloaders?
    I have NE1 and would be interested in this as would everybody else...
    has anyone tryed this yet? I'm on 4.3 NC1
    I'm closing this thread as the method described in the OP seems to be bricking devices and the OP has sold his S3 and can no longer support it.

THREAD CLOSED