Root access without dock or computer

Search This thread

Moxxy22

Aug 11, 2010
Ok...first off i know this is not supposed to be in general discussion but as my new status will not let me reply to the relevant thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216131). I just wanted to share how I achieved root access (without a computer) by using bits of different advise from other users. I take no credit for any of this, I don't know any commands but I obviously have an idea of what they are trying to accomplish. Here goes:

First Step:
Download Superuser from market
Download Terminal Emulator from market
Download Dolphin HD browser
Navigate to the above linked thread in the Dolphin broswer and Download photon-torpedo.tar

Once all these are installed reboot your device.

Second Step:
From the terminal emulator enter commands pressing enter after each.

cd /tmp/
cp /sdcard/download/photon-torpedo.tar . (note the "space" and "period" at the end)
chmod 777 photon-torpedo.tar
/bin/tar xf photon-torpedo.tar
./photon-torpedo.sh (you will receive errors at this point, IGNORE)
./install-su.sh

Reboot your device

Third Step:

Run terminal emulator
Enter the command su

At this point it will ask for superuser rights and you are rooted.

*The reason for this thread is that I had to take bits from different responses and piece them together to get this to work. Hope this helps someone as I wanted give back to the community. Again...all credit goes to the original contributors.*

*Fixed typo*

*Theory - If you have a SD card installed when you download the file change the second command line to " cp /sdcard-ext/download/photon-torpedo.tar ." (note the "space" and "period" at the end)*

*Another hint - Determine the location of your /tmp/ folder prior to attempting root (download a file explorer from market) and modify as needed. Some have needed to use /data/tmp/ *

Last edited:

Moxxy22

Aug 11, 2010
Nice!!! On your second command, change cp to cd

Sent from my MoPho...

Actually that is supposed to be cp. I believe it copies the photon-torpedo.tar to the /tmp/ folder where it needs to be located in order to run. (I could be wrong on my logic but that is what worked for me)

pgill34

Jul 26, 2010
cp means copy paste xf means unzip. Or something like that

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

redhatter

Oct 12, 2006
Dude for this I think you deserve an upgrade...nicely done.. can you scriped it as a one shot magic photon rooting torpedo for market?

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

bigbassbrent

Oct 12, 2010
Taylor, TX
Thanks a lot! This worked great! I just picked up my photon last night and didn't have time to root via the computer before work today.

I did find one typo.

cp /sdcard/download/photon-topedo.tar .

should be

cp /sdcard/download/photon-torpedo.tar .

(you accidently left the "r" out of torpedo)

Thanks again!

Moxxy22

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks a lot! This worked great! I just picked up my photon last night and didn't have time to root via the computer before work today.

I did find one typo.

cp /sdcard/download/photon-topedo.tar .

should be

cp /sdcard/download/photon-torpedo.tar .

(you accidently left the "r" out of torpedo)

Thanks again!

Good catch in the typo and im glad it worked out for you!

mac10334

Apr 1, 2010
Very nice! Never thought of an interanl root option. Thank you for your hard work and creativity

moonzbabysh

Jul 17, 2008
Mesa, AZ
You are awesome, thank you. Worked like a charm. Way easier than all the other methods out right now.

Sent from my Photon Blaster.

Moxxy22

Aug 11, 2010
ok thanks, n after i root i can just flash a rom on it?

To be quite honest i haven't felt the need to flash a rom on the mopho so you'll have to research that one yourself. To flash though you normally need to install a bootloader and im just not familiar with the process on this phone. I only rooted to access wifi hotspot and a few other apps.

Reactions: argentinito

argentinito

Dec 16, 2009
To be quite honest i haven't felt the need to flash a rom on the mopho so you'll have to research that one yourself. To flash though you normally need to install a bootloader and im just not familiar with the process on this phone. I only rooted to access wifi hotspot and a few other apps.

all right.. i want to root bcus i need battery indicator with numbers

argentinito

Dec 16, 2009
*Another hint - Determine the location of your /tmp/folder prior to attempting root (download a file explorer from market) and modify as needed. Some have needed to use /data/tmp/ *

how i do that? in a ffew i will try to root im nervous lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok...first off i know this is not supposed to be in general discussion but as my new status will not let me reply to the relevant thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216131). I just wanted to share how I achieved root access (without a computer) by using bits of different advise from other users. I take no credit for any of this, I don't know any commands but I obviously have an idea of what they are trying to accomplish. Here goes:

First Step:
    Download Superuser from market
    Download Terminal Emulator from market
    Download Dolphin HD browser
    Navigate to the above linked thread in the Dolphin broswer and Download photon-torpedo.tar

Once all these are installed reboot your device.

Second Step:
    From the terminal emulator enter commands pressing enter after each.

cd /tmp/
    cp /sdcard/download/photon-torpedo.tar . (note the "space" and "period" at the end)
    chmod 777 photon-torpedo.tar
    /bin/tar xf photon-torpedo.tar
    ./photon-torpedo.sh (you will receive errors at this point, IGNORE)
    ./install-su.sh

Reboot your device

Third Step:

Run terminal emulator
    Enter the command su

At this point it will ask for superuser rights and you are rooted.

*The reason for this thread is that I had to take bits from different responses and piece them together to get this to work. Hope this helps someone as I wanted give back to the community. Again...all credit goes to the original contributors.*

*Fixed typo*

*Theory - If you have a SD card installed when you download the file change the second command line to " cp /sdcard-ext/download/photon-torpedo.tar ." (note the "space" and "period" at the end)*

*Another hint - Determine the location of your /tmp/ folder prior to attempting root (download a file explorer from market) and modify as needed. Some have needed to use /data/tmp/ *
    is there any risk to brick my phone?

There is always a chance of something happening anytime you step outside official updates but i would venture to say that this about 99.9% safe.

ok thanks, n after i root i can just flash a rom on it?

*Another hint - Determine the location of your /tmp/folder prior to attempting root (download a file explorer from market) and modify as needed. Some have needed to use /data/tmp/ *

how i do that? in a ffew i will try to root im nervous lol

Change the lines that say /tmp/ to /data/tmp/

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    I got permission denied after entering (cp /sdcard/download/photon-torpedo.tar . )
    I have mock locations, unknown sources and usb debugging enabled as well (double checked). Any suggestions? TIA:D

Edit: After it denied permissions I just continued entering the remaining commands. root access gained!